wish me luck.(i'll need it)

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
it_tel

Re: wish me luck.(i'll need it)

Post by it_tel » 20 Mar 2008, 14:20

Oh I'm glad I've got in on this thread :) come on we really need to hear the whole episode in full Technicolor detail :D:D:D....

Question: Is our craving for the full gory details in our nature? And is that why we all own a dood or two :D
(left the forum)

groover

Post by groover » 21 Mar 2008, 19:50

don't want to make this post too long so here's the edited version.

kicked off as soon as we got out of the car. the puppy class were leaving as the beginner class started. there's about a 400metre walk from car to building. it was like walking a gauntlet with the bold Herbie determined to playfully bounce on every puppy he saw to say hello.(some were more enthusiastic about this greeting than others.)
by the time we entered the class. everyone else was seated. 20 plus relatively well behaved dogs and their owners turned as we came in. i had taken the liberty of putting a halti on the bonkers one to go to the class as i had a feeling he may get a tad excited. the bonkers one scanned the room. he got a slightly crazed look in his eye and then it began :shock:
as i tried to give our details, pay, etc he started to try and get the evil halti off. this involved multiple bounces followed by frantic bucking (in the manner of an unbroken horse). when this didn't work he began to roll around on the floor with both front paws attached to the haulti. all this rolling jumping pulling bucking had a very bad effect on his general appearance. he now resembled a cross between a rabid mutt and a crazed werewolf. at this point I'm trying to ignore him and speak to the trainer who is saying in a very loud voice (for the benefit of the more nervous among the owners "aw he's just a typical labradoodle"
eventually we made our way to our seat. (dunces seat in the corner reserved for crazy dogs) i was given a form to fill in which i can only assume was a test.(have you ever tried to write with one hand and control a deranged Muppet with the other?????)
45 minutes of the mayhem followed. he was determined to go play with any dog he could get near. it was recall week so every couple of minutes another K9 came tantalizingly close which set off another few minutes of madness. to add to the problem i think the class dunce seat is beside the class nutter seat as the owner nearest me kept waiting till i managed to get him to sit down and would then say in a very squeaky voice. "oooooo good boy Herbie" which led to him trying to get to her and her treats.
to add insult to injury the trainer came over when it was our turn to take to the floor and said "i think we'll wait till another week when he's a bit calmer to get him up" to which i replied "if your waiting for that he'll never get onto the floor" so she let us have a go but wouldn't let me take his lead off. (he didn't do too badly considering)
by the time we left he had bloodshot eyes and was ready to pass out from all the pulling (i had removed the haulti when we sat down to make him look slightly less scary) my hair was on end and i had chest pain.

and to add to my embarrassment there was a very cute 5 month old mini chocolate doodle there who never moved once unless asked to.

i tried to have a kick at him on the way out but his mommy was too quick for me.

can't wait till next week. its agility :shock:

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 21 Mar 2008, 19:53

Whoops nevermind all adds to the fun of being a doodle owner,perhaps he was just having a bad day,we all get them. :?
Caroline xx

Ruby Tuesday

Post by Ruby Tuesday » 21 Mar 2008, 20:21

It sounds just about what you'd expect from a doodle!!

At least there you managed to remain standing and he didnt try to leave the building so I would consider it a success :D :D :D

Last night at our class one man started whistling while all the dogs were doing a sit/stay, the look the trainer gave him :evil:
Julie, Ruby & Raven
ImageImage

it_tel

Post by it_tel » 21 Mar 2008, 20:38

Now I know what we have in store when our little boy goes to class :) can't wait :D:D:D
(left the forum)

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Mar 2008, 21:49

Brilliant description - had me in stitches :lol: At least you weren't sent to the naughty room - Daisy gets to spend quite a bit of her classes in the gents :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

fudgepuddle

Post by fudgepuddle » 21 Mar 2008, 21:55

:lol:
Awww Groover :lol: never mind - you still went home with the best dog :lol:

Mind you, I can't wait for the next installment!!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mia
x
ImageImageImage

amber

Post by amber » 21 Mar 2008, 22:04

Aw, bless Herbie, the boy done good 8)
Amber

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 21 Mar 2008, 22:19

Aw Groover, can't wait until next weeks instalments :D I do feel for you though as I know Herbie has been on lead walks for a while. I will be going through something similar im sure. Yogi hasn't come into contact with many dogs in 7 wks or so with his lead walks. Bumped into a someone the other day who has a calm lab, so as we said hello etc Yogi had jumped on his head and procceded to try and get inside her jacket all in 30 seconds.

Yep its fun with a doodle, never dull anyway :D :D

Hugs to Herbie
Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

groover

Post by groover » 22 Mar 2008, 19:27

glad your all enjoying my misery my friends :lol:

also glad someone is looking forward to his next class as i know both the trainer and i are dreading it :lol: :lol:
she did send a nice email the next night saying he wasn't the worst dog they'd had in the class but reading between the lines I'd say he comes a close second. :wink:
we're just back from the park. made quite an exhibition of himself while we were there. at one point he managed to get his halti tangled in another dogs halti resulting in them both panicking and doing a tug of war like thing with their noses :shock: (doesn't mention that as a possible scenario on the box) while myself and the other dogs mum tried to untangle their leads to free them.
HAPPY DAYS :lol: :lol: :lol:

XXX

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 22 Mar 2008, 19:38

It's sooooooooooooooooooo good to know that other people's dogs behave the same as ours!
Really looking forward to the next installemnt!
Pauline

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 22 Mar 2008, 20:53

You have to write a book :D Your descriptive writing is pure genius.

You have me laughing, cringing for you and loving Herbie. We would all be hooked on the book.

Hugs to Herbie and make sure theres wine in the fridge for you after next class.

Hilli

Hip Dysplasia is painful , expensive, and COMMON, see the hip scores of BOTH parents, no points over 3.
Don't accept excuses

groover

Post by groover » 22 Mar 2008, 22:28

Hilli wrote:You have to write a book :D Your descriptive writing is pure genius.

You have me laughing, cringing for you and loving Herbie. We would all be hooked on the book.

Hugs to Herbie and make sure theres wine in the fridge for you after next class.

Hilli
at the rate he's going i already have enough material for a war and peace sized novel. :shock:

xxx

Hilli

Post by Hilli » 22 Mar 2008, 22:40

He'll make you a £million :D :D :D

Hilli

Don't accept excuses

ronniedog

Post by ronniedog » 23 Mar 2008, 09:57

Hi Groover

Enjoyed your post about training class.

Hector is now 11 months old and for some reason my wife lets me take him to training. She claims that I have to take him because of her asthma.
Hector is the worst behaved dog in the class and I awake during the night before classes with mild palpitations and hot sweats.
I have tried walking the four miles to classes to tire him out - doesn't work. All that happens is that I am the knackered one.
We normally arrive first on the basis that he will be there to greet all the other dogs and therefore be calmer in class - doesn't work. He just gets more excited.
The best bit of class is the recall of the lead which results in everyone having a laugh at my feeble attempts to get him to come back to me.
Even the Doberman in the class is scared of Hector.
The only saving grace is Vinny the Finnish Laphound who is nearly as badly behaved and the trainers comments that 'you have to be very brave to take on a doodle'.
Good luck.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."