Can you remember how long it took...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sallylou

Can you remember how long it took...

Post by Sallylou » 24 Apr 2008, 09:05

before life started to feel normal again :shock: We picked up our min poodle puppy a week ago, he is now just over 8 weeks old, and is such a good little boy, but I feel quite shell shocked and wondered if this is normal? He is sleeping really well at night, and coming along with the toilet training, but I feel as though a little alien has landed and life will never be the same again.

I'm worrying about things that have not happened - will I be able to keep his coat in good order, what if he starts crying when we leave him (we have already left him for a short time each day we have had him!), and some that have - my son's friends have been mean to him about having a poodle, and my husband's friends have asked if he is "coming out" :oops: , so we don't want the boy to look too poodly when he is bigger.

Oh listen to me, I must be going mad. Up half the night with eldest child being sick, so very short on sleep, but it would be nice to be reassured by others' experiences that life does resume as normal!

PS hope I am ok to post on here, not actually having a labradoodle, but there don't seem to be poodle resources, and we might have to pretend he is a doodle anyway if people keep giving us stick (don't suppose the pup will mind really).

Thanks for reading this far, Sally x

Bid

Re: Can you remember how long it took...

Post by Bid » 24 Apr 2008, 09:16

Hi Sally - congratulations on getting your new pup, and sorry you've got a poorly child at the moment.

I don't want to shock you, but things won't actually get back to normal - but they will be much better than normal as you'll have your poodle with you :lol:

Actually I know just what you mean - you're tired, the puppy take a lot of time and energy at first until you and he sort out your routine, your home has changed and you can't behave as you used to because there is a little destruction machine waiting for you to leave something in reach for just a second. It really doesn't take long before the puppy & you sort out a routine and the house training starts to progress.

Re the coat - I have a doodle back crossed to a poodle, so she has a very poodley coat. So far I haven't had her coat clipped or cut so yes it does take a lot of grooming, but as long as I don't let things slide it is not too bad - and I agree that a longer haired poodle is very like a doodle. My brother has a min poodle - Rupert, and at first people did take the mickey, but Rupe is a little dog with a big dog attitude, and my brother loves him so much he just doesn't care :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Jane Hughes

Post by Jane Hughes » 24 Apr 2008, 09:24

Congratulations on your new puppy. My first dog, over 40 years ago, was a poodle and I loved her to bits. Grooming her was no trouble at all. The only thing I would say is be careful what sort of 'cut' you go for otherwise your OH and son won't take him out!

Jane

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 24 Apr 2008, 11:17

hi

How lovely a little new puppy lovely what is the pup's name colour etc,sounds wonderful.
Photo;s please soon love to see him. :)
I do hope you child feels better soon not nice being poorly. :(
A puppy does take up a little bit of time but the rewards that follow will be far greater you will see. :)
Take care and photo's soon.

Caroline x

AnnaCostaire

Post by AnnaCostaire » 24 Apr 2008, 11:31

Hi and welcome to you and your little pup, lucky you!

I agree with Bid - no, your life will never be the same, but when it settles down a bit it will be LOADS better LOL!

Do stay around and let us know how your life with your new little chap develops. We all have bad/stressy days, especially when we are tired. Hang in there, cuddle your pup and enjoy.

Hope your child soon feels better.

Anna and M
I breed miniature horses and am owned by a doodle called M who is the best thing since sliced bread.

amber

Post by amber » 24 Apr 2008, 13:47

Hi Sallylou
Lovely to see you here. I have a huge soft spot for Poodles, i really don't know why people think they are anything other than a beautiful example of a dog. When your puppy gets bigger, why don't you have him trimmd in the Teddy bear cut, or is it called puppy pants. Its a 2" all over cut and they look no different than a fleecy Labradoodle, and just gorgeous.
Can't wait for pics :D
Oh and i know you will feel heaps better when you get a good nights sleep :wink:
Amber

Lou

Post by Lou » 24 Apr 2008, 13:54

Hello

I agree life is never the same - it is 100 % better !

Long walks, lots of fresh air, lots of laughs !

You will soon not be able to remember when he was not there (or want to !)

Louise
Louise - owner of a very lively, fluffy and mischievous doodle !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25780474@N05/2424305519

Sallylou

Post by Sallylou » 24 Apr 2008, 20:01

Thank you all for your lovely warm welcomes. Sorry I did not say, but our pup is Bertie and he is chocolate coloured (plain that is, not milk). He has been full of beans today, and totally exhausting! But he does sleep at night thank goodness.

Regarding his haircut, we definitely want him to look like a little labradoodle rather than obviously poodly. So far he has not had anything done and he looks like a ball of wool on legs. He will visit the groomer in a couple of weeks to get acquainted, and so we can discuss his image, but he will definitely have a hairy face and feet, and no pompoms anywhere!

It is great to see all the new puppies on here, we can go through the traumas together. I will try to post some photos when I work out how.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and thanks again for your comments.

Sally :lol:

Reennaa

Post by Reennaa » 24 Apr 2008, 23:43

hi there
so glad to see that you have now got your puppy.

Bertie is a great name - hoping to see some pics soon :D

As a lot of others have said your life will never be the same again.

It seems no time since we last spoke - patsy was just a bundle of fluff - now she is enormous. !!

she is turning into a lovely, lovely girl.

Still a cheeky monkey but such a lovely nature.

look forward to hearing how you and Bertie get on as he grows up.

rena & patsy poodle xx

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 25 Apr 2008, 00:33

There is grooming info on http://www.labradoodleasd.com/ASD.grooming.htm (it's by Tegan ) and this gives a groomer a good set of guidelines for a doodle so i guess it would work for a doodle poodle clip too???
As for teasing...tell them i know of a poodle that herds cows :shock:

amber

Post by amber » 25 Apr 2008, 13:53

Sooty wrote:As for teasing...tell them i know of a poodle that herds cows :shock:
:lol: well why not.. 8)
Reeena, i would love to see pics of Patsy too
Amber

Reennaa

Post by Reennaa » 25 Apr 2008, 14:41

I'll put some piccies of Patsy on next week Amber.
:D

labradoodlelover28

Post by labradoodlelover28 » 26 Apr 2008, 09:46

Sallylou wrote:Sorry I did not say, but our pup is Bertie and he is chocolate coloured (plain that is, not milk). He has been full of beans today, and totally exhausting! But he does sleep at night thank goodness.
:lol:
Aww he sounds lovely! Love to see some picciesof him soon though! hehe :)

Good luck

beckie .ox
x-x-:)Doodlebugs-Labradoodles:)-x-x
http://doodlebugslabradoodles.piczo.com

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 27 Apr 2008, 09:06

Hi, when we brought Dougal home I couldn't get over how much like having a 'toddler' it was. All widdle & poop. Hard work!

And a few times I thought 'what have I done, life is never going to be the same'. But that stage soon passes and we wouldn't be without him now.

Yes he's wrecked the garden, loves shredding paper and cardboard, but he's great company, such a character and we have great walks.

Don't let anyone suggest that you have anything other than a gorgeous pup!

I have to admit that poodles never appealed to me. But having met Dougal's dad, I am a convert. Rocco is a gorgeous example of poodle kind and having met him I would definately not rule out having a standard poodle.

Bertie is a great name, and if it wasn't our big black tom cat's nickname (proper name Merlin) I would have liked it for Dougal.

Enjoy your pup, they grow so quick!

Gillian & Doogie

claire_louise

Post by claire_louise » 27 Apr 2008, 21:12

Regarding the teasing, before we had Basil (now 16 weeks!) my boyfriend wouldn't let up about doodles not being 'proper' dogs because they were half poodle (not manly enough apparently), but as soon as he laid eyes on him for the first time he was smitten! The two of them are inseparable now. So if anyone has anything mean to say, my advice is to let them meet Bertie and challenge them not to fall in love! :wink: