SOOOO WORRIED!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
jimbo

SOOOO WORRIED!!!

Post by jimbo » 01 May 2008, 20:39

After posting about our Cooper being sick took the young lad to the vets have to go back tomorrow at 8:30 for him to have a general anaesthetic and xray as vet is concerned he has an obstruction in his stomach or gut and this is what is causing his sickness as he throws up at least 5 hours after eating (no treats inbetween) and it seems that the food gets so far and then cannot get any further and so it has to come up the other way, has anyone else had anything similar and pups going under at this age as we are very concerned about our boy. He has done a poo in the dinning room this evening do you think he knows?? as he has never done that before, even though it was a tiny one!
Any advice or anything would be very welcome you have all been so supportive before and we are very needy at the moment!!
Jacquie Jimbo & Cooper

Elmo-the-Bear

Re: SOOOO WORRIED!!!

Post by Elmo-the-Bear » 01 May 2008, 21:08

Never had this but a brief search on "vet" type sites suggests a couple of things: ----- I'll put a warning here as this is not my advice and just some bits I've found surfing around - you're doing the right thing going to the vets------

1. The food - some people are saying their dog throws up regulalry and they changed their food and it was OK.
2. Another one says that their dog did the same as yours - too k it to the vet and it was flu.
3.Most advise plenty of water as vomitting dehydrates
4.A lot of people saying worms
5. Eating too fast? this ones comes up a lot.
6. Also stress seems to appear a lot.

I think you;re doing the right thing, get him up the vets first thing, they'll put him right :) keep us up to date.....

all the best

SNOOPY2

Post by SNOOPY2 » 01 May 2008, 21:19

Hi Jimbo,

Sorry to hear about cooper hope he gets well soon. :( Alfie had a general anaesethic when he was 4 and half months old. He had to have a camera inserted down his throat. He was fine, in fact when I picked him up he tried to doodle dash around the waiting room. He ate fine and was none the worse for wear. Your vets should keep him in for an observation period after he has had his Xray and they won't relaese him unless they are sure he is fine.

I hope this has put your mind at rest on the anaesethic side of things.
good luck and keep us posted.

xx

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 01 May 2008, 21:26

Hi snoopy thanks for that glad to know all is well with Alfie now and that he recovered so quickly will post tomorrow to let you know how the Cooperboy is fairing. Hope hes doing the "dash" when we get there :)
Thankyou for your reply its very kind
JJ & cooper

SNOOPY2

Post by SNOOPY2 » 01 May 2008, 21:32

You're welcome,

At least he vets are on the case, the key is to tey and not worry, I know it easier said than done. My Nephew took me shopping and the time flew by. Just think this time tomorrow and you will know and cooper will be on the road to recovery.

hugs coming your way.

xxx

ALLY LAMBELL

Post by ALLY LAMBELL » 01 May 2008, 21:35

Jimbo, just to wish you and Cooper luck for tomorrow. There are many reasons why dogs repeatedly vomit (as Elmo the Bear said) and not all are serious, so try not to worry (easy to say I know), but things can onlky get better. Will be logged on waiting for news tomorrow xxx

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 01 May 2008, 21:36

Hi Jimbo and family

Just would like to say wishing you all the best for tomorrow for the lovely Cooper. :)
I am sure he will be fine it is just a worry i know when i took Elmo in a few weeks ago i got so upset with myself lucky Elmo did not have a clue.
Take care of each other and keep us all up to date.
He is in the best hands in the vets and then back home to a wonderful family.

Carline,Freya,Rob and Elmo The Bear x

Emma

Post by Emma » 01 May 2008, 21:36

Hi Jimbo.
You might think this is crazy, but what youre describing is exactly what happened to my son when he was 11. He is 20 now.
He would seem fine until 4 oclock, having eaten fairly normally, then he would start to retch and be sick, and he would get bad tummy ache and cry with the pain. Next day, same thing. This went on for several days until he was admitted to hospital. They said nothing seems wrong ( during the day). I said, wait til 4 oclock and he will start. They said, no one can have pain to a certain time. But he did. They gave him a scan, which was normal. Then the consultant asked for an X ray, and that showed the problem. He had a blockage - of poo, all the way up through his intestines to under his ribs. You could see the solid mass twisting and turning through his body. But he had been going to the toilet every day still. Obviously just not enough.
The pain was starting at 4 oclock, because that was the time that the food he had eaten at lunch time had arrived at the blockage. And then he would be sick. They put him on dynamite laxatives for a fortnight. :oops:
Does this sound like what Cooper is doing?
If so, I think the X ray will show something up - he might be constipated too. Or has he eaten a sock?
I hope the visit to the vet tomorrow sheds some light on what is going on. Its so very worrying, and you wont be able to think about anything else until you get him sorted out. And you will. Take care, and let us know as soon as you get any news.
Amos and Emma

Sooty

Post by Sooty » 01 May 2008, 21:41

That sounds very interesting Emma i wonder if it could be something similar? Good luck with tomorrow we are all thinking about you.

Elmo-the-Bear

Post by Elmo-the-Bear » 01 May 2008, 21:41

freyadog wrote:....... lucky Elmo did not have a clue..........

Elmo doesn't have a clue about most things....bless :oops:

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 01 May 2008, 21:48

Hi all
thanks for all the replys will let you all know what happens tomorrow Emma this sounds very familiar glad to hear your son is over it now this is why we love this site with all this positive energy cyberflying around the outcome must be good
Hugs and wet doody kisses to all
xxxxxxx

amber

Post by amber » 01 May 2008, 22:07

Hi Jimbo,
At least you know he is in the best place.
Good luck, and be thinking of you all.
Amber

debs43

Post by debs43 » 01 May 2008, 23:02

dont worry to much, I know its hard not too. but it sound exactly the same as our ziggy who at 5 months had a habit of eating stones and got one lodged, after xray and scan diagnosis was diagnosed and he had to have it removed by surgery after a week, he was back to his normal mischevious self and yes eating stones again, but they do grow out of it a bit, hope your babys ok soon

jimbo

Post by jimbo » 01 May 2008, 23:08

Thanks for that debs your ziggy looks a lovely boy not disimilar to the Coopster
xx

debs43

Post by debs43 » 01 May 2008, 23:16

no problem, have you any news on the little lad yet, our ziggy is now 17 months old and still a bundle of hyper energy, just had the snip (lol) hoping this has a calming influence but i doubt it .

any pics of the boy