Mabel savagely attacked - Do we report the dogs?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ktm

Re: Mabel savagely attacked - Do we report the dogs?

Post by ktm » 30 May 2008, 18:40

Hi
Glad everyone is Ok now, that must of been horrific to watch. I would report it. The man knew what the dog was like. He should of kept them on a lead. If he's let it happen once and now twice what's going to stop him letting it happen again. You would never forgive yourself if it happens to some one else. I don't know what the outcome will be it may be that restrictions are put in place.
Mabel looks happy now...
Kate

hitthebongo

Post by hitthebongo » 30 May 2008, 20:38

Thank goodness Mabels is OK and that it a hasn't set her back...

I'm going to join with the others and say that I would report it. It wasn't just a bit of play fighting here it was a down right serious attack :twisted: You do tend to put yourself in the situation and then say what you'd do. If I'd have been out walking Ted with my 7 year old daughter (Nancy) instead of my OH what on earth would have happened :evil: :twisted: Do you have any children or grandchildren that you take walking with Mable. Wha if they start on Mable again and the kids get pulled in the confusion, what if they try it on with Mable again but work out how to do a better 'job' this time. It just doesn't bear thinking about. For your local dogs and kids do the right thing chuck.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :?
look at me ! im ted .

ALLY LAMBELL

Post by ALLY LAMBELL » 30 May 2008, 20:41

What a horrible tale, poor Mabel and you all. So glad she is relatively unscathed by this horror attack. I agree with many comments made, but mainly that you should talk to the owner and explain that you are worried that next time (which there will be) it could be a child scarred for life, or killed. The owner shouldn't have had them off lead knowing they were unpredictable; neither should they have been out without proper muzzles on. Hope your leg is ok; you were lucky too. Whatever decision you make has to be right for you to live with, so good luck. Love to all and licks from Ruby xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 30 May 2008, 21:05

AnnaCostaire wrote: I think you should demand that in future he walks these dogs singly. This would stop one dog egging the other on and more importantly, give him better control. Is he going to be able to 'hang on' to two dogs if they decide to 'set off' to attack again??
That's a very good point Anna - I hadn't thought of that, but you're absolutely right - dogs do egg each other on :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Brenda and Ruby

Post by Brenda and Ruby » 30 May 2008, 21:19

Hi BELLA

iAM SO PLEASED mABEL IS FINE AND NOT SUFFERED ANY ILL EFFECTS. 2 YEARS AGO WE HAD A BORDER COLLIE CROSS GEM, WHO WAS ATTACKED BY 3 STAFFIES AND WAS BADLY INJURED, We had to go to the vets every day for 5 weeks and she had to have 3 operations. Eventually she did make a good recovery phsically but it did leave mental scars.It took us 7 weeks to trace the owner even though the dog warden was involved. It did eventually go to court and all the owner got was a control order on the dogs, we did not get any compensation for the £800.00 vet bill and unfortunately Gem was not insured. Because the guy had a control order it enabled us to put in a claim through the small claims court, that cost us another £80.00 and then he did a moonlight so in the end we got nothing back. I would urge every one to report dog attacks, not only for our dogs but especially children. If any thing else happened with those dogs how would you cope? I really feel that these attacks live with us forever. My OH has never got over the attact to Gem. .
I say report every time. The police we found were not interested and we did have to pester the dog warden. .
Sorry to go on but it is something that I feel strongly about

Brenda

freyadog

Post by freyadog » 30 May 2008, 21:28

Glad you and Mabel are ok,bet that was a horrible experience but thank goodness Mabel is fine.
I know my Border Collie got attacked by a chocolate lab and now he is scared of chocolate labs.
Just hope it does not scare poor Mabel with this breed of dog again.
I am not sure what i would do maybe have a good word with this person first and give them the time to sort it out,if not i think i may have to report it.
Good luck in whatever you think is right.

http://www.doodlemania.co.uk

delilah

Post by delilah » 31 May 2008, 09:28

Yes, of course you report the dogs, give as much detail as you can, and for heaven's sake remember if they are out of control with a dog they could be out of control with a three year old who rubbed them up the wrong way.

Take care of Mabel and give her a hug from Elly and I.

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 31 May 2008, 11:17

Sorry just read this... I once stopped a similar dog from even playing with Charlie as it had so much force in it's body and was acting threatening...

I agree with everyone else... imagine if they decided to pick on a child next time!

How is Mabel now???

x

msloopylynn

Post by msloopylynn » 31 May 2008, 11:22

What an awful experience for you all. It made me feel sick.

So glad Mabel, OK !!!!! I hope you and OH, are coping.

I would have to report, This is one of my greatest fears.

I know this owner is a neighbor, But he KNEW his dogs were not safe, Hence the muzzels, But still decided to let his dogs off lead.

So sorry you have found yourselves in this position, lots of best wishes to you all.

Lynn

Bella

Post by Bella » 01 Jun 2008, 14:51

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still not sure what to do. I know it could have been so much worse but I just keeping thinking of the old phrase "there but for the grace of god go I". If I was the owner of the dogs I would want to try my absolute best for them. I think he really is trying but sadly it may not be enough. I just don't know where to draw the line.

I think they could have killed her if it wasn't for the 1 inch less of mouth space they had because of the muzzles. They just weren't able to get a proper hold on her.

It's on of these damned if you do, damned if you don't situations :(

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 01 Jun 2008, 15:51

Bella wrote: I think they could have killed her if it wasn't for the 1 inch less of mouth space they had because of the muzzles. They just weren't able to get a proper hold on her.
I think you just answered your own question! say they had got their muzzels off or open more??? without you doing something about it, their owner may not think its that serious and may not keep to what you may agree with him, say they do get Bella properly next time, could you forgive yourself? you tried your hardest to stop them this time! how is your leg now I hope its not to painful? I know its a hard thing to do, but by reporting them you could be save the life of another dog or child

misskatie

Post by misskatie » 01 Jun 2008, 16:21

I agree. If you really think the attack was such that they could have killed her, I definately think something should be done. They will do it again, and if an innocent animal is killed - dog,cat,...child, it's too late then, it can't be brought back. I don't envy you, you're in a dreadful situation, especially as he's a neighbour.
My friend's cat was set upon by 2 dogs - they ripped her apart and killed her in a very vicious attack - my friend and her family will never get over it :(
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Lucy

Murphy's mum

Post by Murphy's mum » 01 Jun 2008, 17:44

Hi
The guy knew his dogs were dangerous - they wore muzzles.
Therefore he should have made sure the muzzles were adequately fitted and could not come off or work loose. They were running free despite him knowing they were dangerous!
He has not taken enough precausions/ responsibility with these dogs.
How can he accept this and not feel responsible?
No excuses are acceptable and there shouldn't be a next time!!!
Chris

hitthebongo

Post by hitthebongo » 01 Jun 2008, 18:00

You said 'but for the grace of God go I'. That is quite understandable BUT, BUT BUT I'm sure you would act more responsable and take the right precautions if you owned creatures like the bull terriers... having muzells that work loose AND having them off the lead AND knowing full well they will egg each other on isn't being a responsable dog owner....
look at me ! im ted .

steph08

Post by steph08 » 01 Jun 2008, 22:26

Thanks goodness both you and Mabel are OK. I don't own a dog yet, so it is difficult for me to make a comment on this from an owners point of view, but from a parents point of view, if any of my children were attacked by an animal that had previously shown severe agression towards another, dog, cat, child or adult. I would be asking the question 'why was nothing done the first time it happened?'

If it was me, I would report the incident but the owner being a neighbour does make this a very tricky situation. However as already mentioned in several of the posts, the owner should never have allowed the dogs off their leads knowing they had behaviour problems. It appears by the owner coming to see you he is already very aware you may choose to report the attack.

My thoughts are with you, through this traumatic and difficult time.