Looking for hints and tips on crate training.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
amber

Looking for hints and tips on crate training.

Post by amber » 18 Jun 2008, 21:13

Hi All
Can anyone recommend a puppy crate training book to me please.
I have lots of requests for hints and tips at the moment, but as i have never crate trained i was looking for some book recommendations and also hints and tips. I would be really grateful for any help you can offer
Thanks in advance
amber

RachPach

Re: Looking for hints and tips on crate training.

Post by RachPach » 18 Jun 2008, 21:32

I'd be very interested in this too and any advice anyone can offer. I'm planning on crate training as I have 2 young kids with lots of small toys and my biggest worry is that it's going to swallow something it shouldn't. (I had a boxer puppy who very nearly died after eating a plastic bag that got stuck in it's intestines). If I pop out I'd feel happier knowing it's in a safe place where it can't harm itself. Not sure how to go about it though.

What size crate should I get? (Presume the biggest just in case puppy grows into a monster dog :shock: )

Also, when should I start leaving it in it and for how long? Is it best to start with just 5 mins and gradually build it up?

Once it's used to it, what's the longest you should leave it in the crate? I don't work so don't plan on leaving it for long but for example, if I took the kids swimming or went shopping and was gone for 1-2 hours occasionally is that too long? I guess it's better to plan leaving it straight after a good walk when it just wants to flop for a while.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rachxx

nashav

Post by nashav » 18 Jun 2008, 22:31

i cant really recommend any books which are specifically on crate training, the only books i had was puppylopaedia and the perfect puppy by gwen bailey, neither of these are brillient in crate advice. I recently got the dog owners manual by Dr bruce fogle which has some basic advice.

This site http://www.ukdogcrate.co.uk/dog_crates_guide.htm has some good information on crates and if return to home page and go on 'buy now' it lots of crate sizes and breeds suitbale for. i got the classic 4 crate ( 42" Long x 28" Wide x 30" High /106cm x 71cm x 77cm/) and this is plently big enough. the next size up they do is suitable for great danes, irish wolfhounds etc

the crate should not be so large that the puppy can mess in one part and move away and sleep or play in another, however if you are wanting to purchase a crate which will still be large enough for a adult you can put a large cardboard box to block a section off.

i used a crate from the first moment i brought paige home, i had it set up a few days in advance. i was told to do this, dont think it makes much a difference to the pup but you get used to it been there, especially if its in the kitchen. to start with i also put a blanket over the crate which covered the sides to make it feel more secure and den like.

i would think the longest to leave a puppy in a crate is 2 hours after some excerise as like you mention RachPach its very likely to just sleep. any longer than this and it might get stressed becasue its likely he will be wanting the loo. For a adult dog no longer than 4 hours.
RachPach wrote:Also, when should I start leaving it in it and for how long? Is it best to start with just 5 mins and gradually build it up?
not sure about this part, this is the first dog i have crate trained. i think if the crate is introduced from day one it is much easier for the dog to accept as its basically its bed. paige spent her first night in the crate with no issues at all and seemed quite happy. during the day i left the door open so she could come and go as she pleased, i often found her napping in there all by herself.

With using a crate paige was house trained in a week and has never had a accident in the house ( well 1 but it was COMPLETLY my fault as i ignored the signs that she wanted to go outside)

i dont know if you have throught about feeding/water in the crate? I personally didnt, partly becasue paige didnt need any encouragement to go into the crate and i didnt want her getting use to feeding in the crate becasue i wasn't intending her using it that much when older.

i found crate training pretty easy without much inforamtion. From talking with mates who have crate trained the dog generally tells you if its not happy with the arrangement. The most important thing to remember is that the crate should be a place the dog goes to as a safe, secure area where it wont be disturbed.

hope this helps. if you have any more questions i would be more than happy to help as much as i can.
x
Image Image

CAROL SHAW

Post by CAROL SHAW » 18 Jun 2008, 22:46

Hi Avril your description is spot on we find pups hpuse train really quickly with the crate method. We put ours in when we are eating then let them out and feed them then let them ourtside it works really well. I was against crate training at first but it is a "modern miracle" even our two old Russels 11 and 12 have a crate they share and love it. regards CARol
DOODLE BREEDER FOR MANY YEARS HOPEING TO HAVE FOURTH GENERATION SOON.
STONECELLARS LABRADOODLES
Breeders of Standard English Labradoodles since 1999
DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

Mel Evanz

Post by Mel Evanz » 18 Jun 2008, 23:06

Try this link http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/idealpetproducts They had the cheapest crate I could find and its fab. It folds flat but is really sturdy when put up. It has a metal tray on the bottom which i've been told is the best as a plastic one tends to get chewed up pretty easily. My trainer told me to put it up before I had Maggie as the noise putting it together might put her off it.
First day I put her food in it and tempted her in with treats. Once she'd been in once I found her going in on her own. I always feed her in it and encourage her to think its a nice place to be. I have blankets on one side and her waterbowl and toys on the other, I've been told you can get a divider but I don't use one and so far she hasn't messed in it at all. I leave the door open all day and only lock her in if I'm out but for no longer than 2 hours. I started locking her in when I went upstairs, 10 minutes, then 15 until she got used to the door being closed. I think that Maggie feels like its her den because when she's had enough of my son teasing her she runs in it and if she could speak I think she'd say "now i'm going to bed so leave me alone!" I thought that cages were cruel (before I knew how to use it properly) and don't forget, never shout at the dog and lock her in......its supposed to be her safehaven :-)
Mel n Maggie

xxM&Mxx

hodgey

Post by hodgey » 19 Jun 2008, 07:26

Hi Linda

I would tell your prospective parents to buy a 42" crate, we started with a borrowed one of 36" and when Ellie stood up her coat when it was longer touched the top, not that she is 36" tall I hasten to add. Lots more room for her to move around in and stretch out in the 42".

We also got vet bed of the roll, they cut it to size.

I used to feed Ellie in hers and play with her in it when we first brought her home, left the door open as well, she now goes in when we say nite nite....lol

Oh and she still has the piece of vet bed you gave us to bring home, which she still carries around with her. Never been washed, it actually does not smell either.... :lol: :lol:

Have fun all you newbies...... :lol:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » 19 Jun 2008, 11:30

feeding them in there definately helps, closing the door when they are eating, but i think it was probably easier from when they are pups! xxGoodluckxx
ImageImageImage

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 19 Jun 2008, 11:47

Hi all,
I found a link to a useful YouTube clip on the bottom of the homepage that Avril posted. I then went to YouTube and typed in "dog crate training" and there are LOADS of clips, mostly American.
I am definitely going to be crate training so found this very informative - there are lots of other puppy training tips too.
Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

amber

Post by amber » 19 Jun 2008, 13:37

Thanks for all the useful tips everyone :wink: :D

carlashake

Post by carlashake » 21 Jun 2008, 16:22

hi,

im am reading about crate training at the moment and have found a really good book, its called 'CRATE TRAINIG BY TEOTI ANDERSON'

amber

Post by amber » 21 Jun 2008, 16:44

Thanks Carla, that's good then, perhaps i should order it too :wink:
Linda :D

gilly39

Post by gilly39 » 22 Jun 2008, 11:52

I use a word 'bed' and have trained it just like any other instruction.

I will also out of the blue ask Madison to go to her bed and have a treat but she comes straight back out again... When I want her to go in properly, I ask her to go in I also let her out again twice and give her a treat to build up her trust in me and the crate.

When she is in I ask her to 'settle' and she also gets a treat for this... Gradually I will begin to reduce the treats.. and with consistency she gets to know the word 'bed' for her crate. She loves it in there and will happilly fall asleep..

The only problem is that Charlie gets confused and sometimes tries to get in with her.. as it's smaller than she is it can be quite funny watching her! :shock: :shock: :lol: :o

amber

Post by amber » 22 Jun 2008, 15:22

Good advice! thanks Gilly :)
amber