doodle pup and 2 young children thoughts please

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
sarahw

doodle pup and 2 young children thoughts please

Post by sarahw » 22 Jun 2008, 17:09

Just wanted some opinions on having a labradoodle pup and young children, my eldest is 4 and my youngest is just 1 really wanted a labradoodle for last year or so but am unsure if it would be better to wait until children are older? My youngest is starting school sept.
What are you thoughts on this please??? any advice greatly appreciated I really want to go ahead and its not something I have rushed into. I have checked out training classes, and spoken to my local vet. I have a garden and live just next to a beach, the pup would get plenty of exercise (obviously not too much!!) But am I being naive and underestimating how much work I am taking on?? Thanks Sarah. :D

Emma

Re: doodle pup and 2 young children thoughts please

Post by Emma » 22 Jun 2008, 17:42

I think you should view it as quite a big deal. The fact is, some pups are good as gold and you wont have any problems, but some are nightmares. I wouldnt advise against you getting a pup at this stage, but you yourself know how well you could cope with having your young children and one of the nightmare variety pups. If you have the energy, why not? If you dont, wait a while.
Sorry, thats not alot of help is it? All I can say is that I have had two dogs in my life, my first, Bracken, a border collie was a nightmare, a whirlwind, chewing, barking, never still, and although she grew into a fantastic adult dog, i could fully understand at the time what leads some people to dump their dogs ( although of course i never would have been one of those people, just saying I understand their despair) and Amos, now who has been so easy 95% of the time. You just dont know what youre gonna get - you only know if you can handle it.
Amos and Emma

lisabailiff

Post by lisabailiff » 22 Jun 2008, 18:04

Hi Sarah
I would have to agree with Emma on this one. Pups are stressful, you are forever clearing up after them, moving things out of their way and toileting at all times of the day and night. I can see each of these having it own problems with young children in the house. The other thing to concider is that the puppy also needs its own space (sanctury) and time out, and sometimes young children may not allow them that (I'm not suggesting for one minute that yours would do that) These are the sort of things to concider.
I know someone that has a puppy and has made them their own space under the stairs (dont all pm me telling me this is wrong) they also have a young child. They have a large under stairs cupboard that they have cleared out, put the dog bed right at the back, its food and water dishes, there is still plenty of room to play. She HAS removed the door and replaced it with a safety gate. The pup loves it, it has it own safe space when the have to go out, or if the children are getting too much for him.
At the end of the day the choice has to be yours, just think carefully it's going to be a huge commitment.
Hope this helps
x

patjoe

Post by patjoe » 22 Jun 2008, 18:10

Hi
I would agree that it very much depends on the puppy. We see our grandhildren almost daily and they often sleep over. The youngest 2 are 20 months and 6, Alfie is 9 months and he has been fantastic with the kids. Very gentle with the youngest and they play together for ages. The biggest nightmare is toys, he loves to steal all the little farm animals ,play people , soft toys lego etc. He is getting slightly better now and will drop toys but thats only if we catch him before he has chewed them up.Other than that no real problems
Pat

pinkpoodle

Post by pinkpoodle » 22 Jun 2008, 18:27

labradoodles are to big for children of that age although lovely natured a quick turn and a child is on its bum!!!! a cockapoo is better http://www.jandaz.co.uk

Paula

Post by Paula » 22 Jun 2008, 18:41

hi,
my daughter is 5 and Max is 7 months. We got Max when he was 7 weeks old. For the first few months he was forever bitting us. For the first few weeks my daughter she played in her room more than she ever has or stayed on the sofa, as he did bit alot and those puppy teeth are like little needles. She soon learnt to "manage" him though and is really asertive with him, Max now understands he has to be gentle with her. They get on absolutly fantastically now.
We were lucky with Max, in that he did not cry at night and was fairly good at toilet training (he's fully trained now).
My concern with your youngest child is doodles are big and fairly clumsy. Max runs around like a "bull in a china shop" at times and could easily send a little one flying...but as the other post say, it will depend on the dog.

On the plus side, my house has never been so tidy. Everything in reach, toys, shoes, magazines, washing has too put put of doodle reach. Max is like a kid in a sweet shop if he get's into my daughters room, nothing is more exciting than her toys, her socks and knickers!! :oops:

Good luck with what ever you decide. I LOVE having a doodle and he is a massive part or family, my daughter would not be without him.
:D

ralph'smum

Post by ralph'smum » 22 Jun 2008, 18:42

Hi Sarah
All pups are different and only you know how you'd cope.BUT.........
Ralph is as tall as me when he jumps up (5 ft 2) at 8 months and 30 kg.
At full pelt he takes me out.I have 1 year old niece who he loves but he does jump up at her.
Would have to echo patjoe as he also loves my kids toys to chew so far eaten barbie's hands ,few lego figures , nintendogs ds game and various other items
:shock: .
Perhaps you could go to doodle meet with your kids to see what they are really like in the fur. :lol:
Its amazing how even dogs of the same age vary so much in size and obviously personality.
Don't be put off they are gorgeous and all the hard work is well worth it
Good luck
Tracey & Ralph

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 22 Jun 2008, 18:52

I got my Doodle because his family had two young children and their safety came first, so he was shut in the garden all day. As a result he didn't learn bite inhibition because he never had the chance to learn. It took 3 months for my middle son (who was then 12) and I to help him learn, and even now we still get some bruises. It is easier to teach a younger pup bite inhibition, but with young children in the house it's going to be a lot harder because half the time you'll be putting their safety first.

When I was running puppy classes, I used to get a lot of owners and families who said their young children were actively disliking their new puppy because of the play biting, children can also be jealous of the attention a new pup can get whilst it's being trained, and running this alongside the age of your younger child, personally, I would say it's too much.

Why not look at an older dog who has already lived succesfully with young children and now needs a home through allergy issues?

dollydoodle

Post by dollydoodle » 22 Jun 2008, 19:02

pinkpoodle wrote:labradoodles are to big for children of that age although lovely natured a quick turn and a child is on its bum!!!! a cockapoo is better http://www.jandaz.co.uk
Well I have to admire your cheek Pinkpoodle :roll: Couldn't your advertising have been done via pm, this is a Labradoodle forum after all and sarahw could consider a min Doodle!

amber

Post by amber » 22 Jun 2008, 19:13

:lol:

I think only you know your limitations and energy levels :shock:
I would not say no i don't think it's a good idea because you are a sensible person who knows the score, but another thing to mention with a one year old and a puppy/young dog is that you will have to consider potty training (child that is), and won't be easy around a puppy. Again though, only you know your limits and what to expect, but if you do go for it please put the pics up for us all to see.
good Luck
:D amber

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 22 Jun 2008, 19:59

dollydoodle wrote:
pinkpoodle wrote:labradoodles are to big for children of that age although lovely natured a quick turn and a child is on its bum!!!! a cockapoo is better http://www.jandaz.co.uk
Well I have to admire your cheek Pinkpoodle :roll: Couldn't your advertising have been done via pm, this is a Labradoodle forum after all and sarahw could consider a min Doodle!
:lol: :lol:

Only Janice could be so blatant!! :lol:

And yes - A mini dood would certainly be a consideration!!!

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

gwdoodles

Post by gwdoodles » 22 Jun 2008, 20:05

Was this supposed to be a pm, Janice? We all know why you are hanging around this site, it's just to pick up business. If you want to buy from her Sarah, she will ALWAYS have a litter from her 51 well documented poodle bitches. Can you not be more discrete, or is business bad?

ktm

Post by ktm » 22 Jun 2008, 21:58

Hi Sarah
I think it depends on you and how you want your life style to be - do you mind mess? smelly wet dog in winter or when rolled in poo!, chewed up everything!, time watching when out cos you need to get back for the dogs?, up at 6am to barking?, being a pooper scooper 24/7......Having said this Sarah, I have three children 11, 5 and 20months and have two dogs and waiting for my third. My life is busy and every day is full of events ( I work also) but I wouldn't have it any other way. My children love my animals as much as me and get involved with taking care of them especially me youngest.
I think you need to sit down with your family and think are you ready to commit your life to a dog because the only way I compare getting a dog is like having another baby and we all know you don't go into that lightly.
Getting a dog is a personal thing, only you can answer the questions to whether your ready, be truthful and then you will make the right decision, one you won't regret. Good luck Sarah
Another idea would be to get an older dog, pass the puppy stage, that can help.
Kate

brandy

Post by brandy » 22 Jun 2008, 22:09

well, to be the odd man umm woman out *G* i have two young children. sam is now five and ben is three. bubbles is just over a year old and we have had her since she was 7 weeks old.
she IS clumsy and will trample you in a heart beat. we had no problems really with biting. as when ever she would try to mouth would just make her stop it. or remove her from what she was mouthing. shes never ate their toys (however will eat any sock she can find) her and ben will roll on the floor together and pounce each other. yup has sent the kids flying before .. me as well a time or two. but when you have a large daft dog you have to expect that. and house training was no biggie for me. as i would put her out every hour on the hour and soon enough she clicked.. ohh this is how it is!
every now and again you will see a scratch down the arm or face of the boys, but that is when they are all rnning around like mad rolling on the floor together with the dog. they know if they play rough with he they may get scratched. and it very rarley happens, but somtimes it does. but lets face it. ive not seen a child yet that didnt have scrapes and bruises!
bubbles is just another member of our family. and like eveyone else she has to follow the rules and do as she is told. if she misbehaves she gets seperated fom the rest of us until she calms down, (time out for dogs.. hey it works)
ne thing i hated when i decided to get bubs was all the peeps saying.. ohhh its a lot of responsibilty taking care of a puppy. its like having another baby in the house.. do you think you can do it?
i felt like saying hmm let me see. my children are clean healthy well behaved (most of the time) ive not mained or killed them yet.. i might be able to handle it! *G* but im just evil that way!
ahemm in conclusion they are hard work.. need a lot of time. but if you have it. and are willing to put in the extra time and love, then doods are great dogs!

Boo Bear

Post by Boo Bear » 23 Jun 2008, 02:32

Hi Sarah,
We have a doodle called Harry who is 11wks old, a son who will be 3 in Aug and our 2nd child is due in sept.
Harry is a good pup, even though I do realise it is early days! He sits, leaves etc on command and waits for his food till I let him go forward to his bowl and lets us know when he wants to go out if the back door happens to be shut. He goes to bed at night well, never get a peep out of him, never have. He knows the routine.
His bed is in a lindham playpen (which can also be used as room divider, but we don't) with lots of toys which end up everywhere, 2nd water bowl etc. We close the gate at night, if we go out, if we have visitors then I let him out after he is used to them or if he/we need some quiet time. As it is open at the top we can pat/stroke him as we are passing. He is in it now with the gate open farting away, lovely! I feel that he knows his place within the family as he isn't allowed to roam everywhere 24/7 and has boundries, just like my son. He doesn't dominate us. If my son needs the loo/potty then I tell Harry to go to his bed. He leaves his toys alone, he is just a sock thief, I don't even know where he gets them from half the time!
Our son gets scratched by his dwarf rabbit and fingers chewed by the guinea pig, so it is just a case of if it has teeth/claws regardless of size, just have to educate them, which is sometimes as you know is like a dripping tap, you have to keep repeating yourself!
I get fed up when I get told oooh a pup, what a gluton for punishment you are, and I do get it lots. I just say that when you have had a sick baby, an OH that worked away and lots of other major stuff to deal with on your own, it is a breeze! Obviously our situation changed which is why we have Harry. At the end of the day only you know what your circumstances are and what you can cope with and to be honest we shouldn't have to justify our reasons, but we do.
We chose a dood for the qualities. We did look at smaller breeds but for us personally they would be a hazard. My OH is over 6ft and son is tall for his age and they do not look where they are going at all. For us the larger the dog, the easier to see, the easier to avoid. We all have including family and friends fallen over Harry when he was smaller and this could have caused us or him serious injury. I kept losing him then realised he was round my feet under my bump! I thought at the end of the day what final size would the dog be compared to the children that would be still growing.
We chose a pup for the children reason so we know the background from scratch, because I did rehome a 1yr old (I had asked for an old plodder to give a good last few yrs to) who turned out to not be safe due to being mistreated and had to be put to sleep, we couldn't go through that again.
Again all these are just my/our personal choices and I have not written this post to disagree with anything anyone else has written on this thread, it is just a view of what works for us and it is not everyones cup of tea and fair play to that, each to their own and thier lifestyle.
Do you know anyone that could lend you a small/large dog/pup for a bit, so you could see how your children react, whether there is any jealousy, hounding, or not bothered and okay with it?
I really wish you the very best on your desicion, keep us posted.
Good luck x