in for a hair raising experience?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
rhian

in for a hair raising experience?

Post by rhian » 03 Jul 2008, 17:16

Mostyn, our eight month goldendoodle ,'s coat has started to mat under his chin and the top of his legs. I've never had a dog that needed professional grooming before so I showed his photo to a groomer who says from what she can see some of his fur has felted and he will probably have to be sheared right down which will take around four hours and he will need to be sedated beforehand.
I'm gutted ! :( To start with I feel guilty because apparently we should have been combing him and not brushing as we have been doing and having studied him now - his legs have indeed 'felted' though I can still comb most of his body right down to the skin.
I love his fluffy coat and am worried that it won't grow back and will he be cold?! How long will his coat take to grow back? Do all goldendoodles need to be clipped?
I also forgot to ask how much this is going to cost - any ideas?! :|

Rhian , Martin and Mostyn the goldendoodle

Bella

Re: in for a hair raising experience?

Post by Bella » 03 Jul 2008, 17:34

We're in the same situation with Mabel but we're getting her voluntarily clipped/sheared. The weather here has been so hot and she's very warm blooded. It will hopefully make her feel a bit cooler.

Felting can cause pinching in dogs so it will be done for his comfort. I'm sure it will grow back. Our groomer told me that if they are clipped short you might notice their hair grows back a bit differently but if Mostins does it might be easier to care for. If he gets cold you have an excuse to buy him a pair of little pyjamas :D

Mabel cost £50 last time for a light trim.

I don't understand why it will take 4 hours though? Did she say why it takes so long?

Emma

Post by Emma » 03 Jul 2008, 20:18

PLEASE dont take him to this groomer. Amos has the same problems - his coat gets to a certain point and its game over. He has to be clipped twice a year. felting? Well Ive not heard that expression but I know exactly what you mean. He does NOT need to be sedated, nor will it take 4 hours. I was told the same when I took Amos for his first clip. I toured round to 3 groomers, desperately wanting to be told that they could comb this all through, but whereas they all told me the same story, which was that it all had to come off - :cry: yes, I know - but the prices varied from £50- and four hours, to dont know, lets just see, to about 1 and half hours and £25 pounds. Needless to say, he goes to the hour and half and £25 option and he looks gorgeous. Admittedly, he comes out looking like a completely different dog - a bit poodly, but he looks wonderful and defo feels much better.
Sorry, but youve just got to do this, it grows back, and as I said earlier, only needs to happen twice ( if that) a year.
Amos and Emma

Emma

Post by Emma » 03 Jul 2008, 20:23

This is an after pic, maybe after 2 or 3 weeks

Before, he looks just like Mostyn.

Amos and Emma