Are your labradoodles ASDs or australian labradoodles?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
freedom

Are your labradoodles ASDs or australian labradoodles?

Post by freedom » 20 Aug 2008, 16:49

As this question has arisen several times on this forum and others across the world, Beverley Manners the founder of the breed has very kindly added a new page to her website, in full support of the breeders of Pure Australian Labradoodles in the UK.
Thank you Beverley

http://www.rutlandmanor.com:80/ASD_BreedOrMutt.htm

Bid

Re: Are your labradoodles ASDs or australian labradoodles?

Post by Bid » 20 Aug 2008, 19:25

Fair enough to clarify the difference between ASDs & British doodles, but I think we also need to distinguish between mongrels & crossbreeds. As I understand it mongrels are dogs where the parentage is unknown, and crossbreeds are of known parentage & are deliberately bred. I'm not being pedantic, IMO the difference is important because in the case of mongrels there can have been no health testing, and as we all know that should not be the case with deliberate crossing of breeds.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 20 Aug 2008, 19:49

Unless this is the point where you confess and tell me otherwise Debs, I'm opting for ASD. :lol:

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

Dizzysearcher

Post by Dizzysearcher » 20 Aug 2008, 20:12

Hi Debbie - this is intersting thanks. I see your advertising golds reds and apricot minatures....are the puppies with you?

freedom

Post by freedom » 20 Aug 2008, 23:21

Bid I don't think you are being pedantic :) it is a very fair comment, they are Beverleys words but I will point this out to her, I think it is just a different use of the English language, some people say Mutts, mongrels or crossbreeds and mean the same thing.

Lainey I hope she is still the apple of your eye :)

Yes Laura they will be with me, they are still in their mums tummy at the moment but not for long, she is nesting now and currently considering having them in the laundry basket :o

linny2

Post by linny2 » 21 Aug 2008, 03:08

Thanks for that. Beverley's website is always good for a giggle, and I needed cheering up :)

Linny
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840

grainne

Post by grainne » 21 Aug 2008, 07:21

I would STRONGLY recommend anybody considering an ASD to ASK THE PARENTAGE of their dogs, how many breeds in their heritage, are they an Australian Labradoodle, or a labradoodle who was born in Australia??

And if in doubt, ask on here!!

xxx

linny2

Post by linny2 » 21 Aug 2008, 07:53

I couldn't agree more. Here is a post by Beverley, owner of Rutland Manor on her forum four years ago:
"Beverley
re Well, how interesting is that???
Wed Jul 14, 2004 03:05

Hi Rochelle and all,

I hadn't heard anything about four other breeds ever being introduced into the Labradoodles in Australia. That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I'm intrigued to know who did that!

Several years ago, on my old website, I had a whole section devoted to the fact that I introduced two magnificent Irish Water Spaniels into one line of RM's Labradoodles. Those dogs are on the extended pedigrees as Irish Water Spaniels as registered with the International Labradoodle Association, although they are a way back now.

It was a once only infusion, and my reasoning was that from the research I did, there is controversy in the archives of the Standard Poodle and the Irish, each claiming that one came from the other or vice verca. But clearly, either the Irish was an ancestor of the Poodle or the other way around, so I saw it as being a suitable experiment.

I didn't carry on with that past the first infusion, because of the Irish's habit of working 'away' from the handler and i didn't want to lose the Labradoodle's love of being close to its owner/handler mentally.

But I've never heard of four different breeds being introduced....now I'm very intrigued as to where that story has come from, or what breeder/s were involved!

Beverley"
Today the Rutland Manor website reads:
"Rutland Manor ASD Australian Labradoodles have been developed over twenty one years (as of 2008) with four only one-off infusions at carefully selected intervals and after much research, before allowing them to filter into the mainstream bloodlines already well established.

First the American and English Cocker Spaniel to downsize from the huge dogs of the early days - secondly the Irish Water Spaniel (itself a close relative of the Standard Poodle) and finally the IRISH line Soft Coated Wheaten. We believe that there is no further need of infusion as the broad based bloodlines have provided a strong and stable foundation for the continuing of the breed."
(see http://www.rutlandmanor.com/ASD_BreedOrMutt.htm)

Those of who have followed the continuing saga over the years just shake our heads at how history is endlessly reinvented to suit the latest "marketing strategy".

Best wishes,
Linny
Best wishes,
Linny, Buffy & Spike
Sign the pledge to stop puppy mills at http://action.humanesociety.org/site/Su ... EY_ID=1840

Dizzysearcher

Post by Dizzysearcher » 21 Aug 2008, 12:46

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Ooh how exciting - more gorgeous ASD's!!! I love those colours!! I guess it won't be long then? Lisa's bunch are beautiful...I can't wait to see pictures of yours Debbie.
I think by then you will have covered every colour between you, almost?

Who's the mummy? I just like daydreaming over the whole process really, as we are still knee deep in dust and grime from building work. :( Have they all got expectant homes? :)

PennyAli

Post by PennyAli » 21 Aug 2008, 20:08

Hi Laura,

Debs is prob a bit tired she was up all night delivering pups, we have have six reds and gold mismarked parti factored :D , Deb said we have got some great markings, I know some are reserved but I have no idea how many are reserved and I also suppose it will depend on if we keep any back, but Debs is the one to ask, I will get on her case tomorrow to post some photos but I will let her catch up on her sleep tonight :D

Dizzysearcher

Post by Dizzysearcher » 22 Aug 2008, 00:59

That's terrific news! Thanks for the update Lisa. Congratulations Debbie!! I hope the mum and pups are all doing well, and that you get a little rest at some point in the proceedings. :D :D

donz

Post by donz » 22 Aug 2008, 06:47

ah congrats guys, look forward to the photos - can I swop Stan for a parti please??!!!!!! :D :D :wink:
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Aug 2008, 09:29

Ooh - yes please - parti puppy pictures asap :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Lainey74

Post by Lainey74 » 22 Aug 2008, 14:49

donz wrote:ah congrats guys, look forward to the photos - can I swop Stan for a parti please??!!!!!! :D :D :wink:
Oooh - and Lil too please Debs!!! :D :wink:

I'm getting puppy envy already, and Lils' only 5 months old. Is this what it will be like for the next 15 years.... :shock:

Perhaps if I have one more that might stop the puppy envy....... :roll:

Anyways, Lil looks like a parti pup today. She's sleeping at my feet with a red (tommy sauce coloured) beard, jet black boots and cream body!!! :lol:

http://www.labradoodle-rescue.com

Hip Dysplasia is painful & expensive. See the hip scores of BOTH parents.

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER

donz

Post by donz » 22 Aug 2008, 16:52

I'll have to try that Lainey - but with a black coat, I'll have to try chalk or emulsion!
ImageImage