including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 22:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Barking!
PostPosted: 24 May 2017, 09:32 

Right in general Roker is a complete star and very little trouble at all but we're having an issue when he is out in the garden and for our sanity, the sanity of the neighbours and with a little one on the way i could do with nipping it in the bud really.

Where we are both neighbours have dogs and the house that backs onto us as the bottom of the garden has a dog as well. Either side the dogs are fine and if we bump into each other on the field they will play together chasing about off the lead without an issue. Dog at the bottom of the garden is another matter and has bitten a few dogs around us although we're yet to have an issue if we see them and in theory should now be on a lead anyway as its on a dog control order...thats another story!

Anyway the moment we let Roker out into the garden he goes running round, barking constantly and will jump at the fence on all three sides trying to get to the other dogs. Even the two dogs he will happily play with when in the field whilst in the confines of the garden he will try and get under, round etc the fence to try and get to them with a bit of an aggressive bark. Murphy the Cockapoo on one side doesnt care and just stares at him wondering whats going off but the other two try to go back. Problem is its generally all quiet outside until the moment Roker goes out so he's the one instigating the barking and its making it very difficult to let him out in the garden without him disturbing the peace and after subjecting the neighbours to 6 months of building work the last thing i want to do is Roker disturbing them as they try to use their gardens as the sun comes out. I also dont want to end up our nice big bi-fold doors onto the garden being a waste of money if we have to keep them shut even when its glorious!

Currently i've been trying to make him realise that if he barks a lot or goes at the fence then he will come back in and not be allowed out but not sure its getting through to him. Anyone any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Barking!
PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 08:17 

We have a related problem in so far as Dexter barks when the other dogs around us bark first, unfortunately his bark is the loudest ! We do seem to be getting there though, trying to make him see that what annoying us and bringing him in didn't work. So tried another tack, I walked up to him telling him it was so and so, what's the fuss about, that's it calm down i'm in control, that's a lot of noise about nothing. never raised my voice, did a lot of sighing, you get the drift. He now barks a couple of times , looks at me, does a sigh himself, and comes and sits with me if I am outside, or comes in if I am not. He still has a say but it is very short with no jumping about going mad, so I think that's progress. Hope that is helpful. Good luck. H and D

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 15:51 

:( I can only commiserate :( I'm not going to be helpful as I too have a barker (or three) :oops:
Jethro has always had this bad habit and I have exhausted every avenue in trying to finding a cure and it doesn't help matters when Amos and Bella decide to join in.
Jethro has the loudest bark and Amos the shrillest :roll:..Bella will stop when I say quiet but the other two continue on and on and on...Grrrrh

Our near neighbours don't have a dog but they sometimes babysit their daughter's two Pugs and when they do all hell breaks out every time the little pugs venture too near the dividing fence .
The same happens when anyone comes to the door.....it's a real nightmare....it's very territorial behaviour that I do understand but I so wish they would stop.

PostPosted: 25 May 2017, 17:03 

Yep definitely seems to be territorial not helped with 4 dogs in 4 adjoining gardens. Just strange how on neutral ground three of them play together fine. All the fences are over 6ft so they can't see each other just know they are there.

Could do with it being like today...roker didn't fancy the sun so laid inside!!

PostPosted: 27 May 2017, 15:08 

Hi,as a trainer my advice would be to seek the help of a Behaviourist in you area.I've dealt with this problem on many occasions and although success can never be a guarantee in any Dog/Human situation the methods I use are simple,easy for the dog and owner to understand and most importantly,short and sharp so the dog understands and is not being confused by the owners (human weaknesses),frustration,anger,embarrassment,etc.Any other trainer on the forum will hopefully smile when I say it's all dealt with by timing and cold water.To describe the technigues without seeing the problem is never easy but if you want to PM me I will send you my phone number and try to help you through what can easily escalate into a very difficult problem.Regards Alan

PostPosted: 28 May 2017, 00:16 

There are a few things that can work with fence issues, and it depends on the reason for the barking tbh - it can be territorial, or it can be just frustration at not being able to reach the other dogs, or any number of reasons. It is a real problem though as frustration can quickly turn into aggression

One approach is to be there with your dog when they are in the garden, working with them and keeping them occupied. Another (costly) method is to install an inner boundary or restrict your dog to a smaller fenced area in the garden with no access to the boundary. I have a small inner garden that I use for boarding small dogs and it is very effective at stopping fence running.

A third method is to be out there and watch Roker as he kicks off. The second he pauses for breath get in there with a reward and a cue - sort of "Good Quiet!"

THere are lots of things to try, - mine actually respond well to "it's next door", but I do have to get up and look out of the door for it to be effective. Embarassingly our neighbours were visiting when a delivery van caused us to resort to this method, and they realised that they are blamed for every bark and whine! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: