including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 17:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: training problems
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2018, 12:24 

My Labradoodle is 11 months old his name is Archie our problem is he tries to get the lead he jumps up twists his body round trying to take the lead from my husbands hand , he does the same thing when he sees another dog , was castrated 4 weeks ago as yet not calmed down any

Post subject: Re: training problems
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2018, 21:11 

Sounds as if Archie is still in the"terrible teens" :lol:
It will be a few weeks before the testosterone drops in his body, hopefully he will then calm down a little.
When mine were training I used a Dogmatic head collar ....it works on the same principle as a horse's head collar.
I also used their training lead...it has two clips one attached to the head collar the other clips to the collar. This gives you dual control. ...like a horse if you have control of the head ...you have control.
I found it really useful as a training aid and once they were walking in an acceptable manner I went back to a normal collar or harness.
It's also useful if you have a strong dog that pulls.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2018, 10:56 

Thank you will tell my other half

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2018, 16:19 

What if you tried walk with two leads attached when he grabs one let it go and use the other.
Try figure out why he’s doing it. You say when he sees other dog which sounds like frustration excitement not being able to greet. At his age especially he’ll still be learning self control so fully understandable even if a nuisance. When else does he do it.
What if also started teaching him ‘look at me’ or does he like carrying a toy. Just some thoughts and whatever approach be kind and consistent he will improve.

Ps: I tell sometimes i’d Like to brain my lot, I get round that by still calling them nicely or asking to do something in nice tone, amazing what swear words you can use in nice tone.win win :lol: