including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Apr 2019, 05:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: jumping up and biting
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 13:11 

hi would love any advice on jumping up and biting from my 14 week old cooper,ive tried the whole yelping thing then ignoring him ,standing up and ignoring him, i understand he is testing me as my husband has only to look at cooper and he backs off.i havent tried the time out thing yet ,but i know he will cry and bark ,his teath are really sharp now ,

Post subject: Re: jumping up and biting
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2019, 10:34 

Hi juney1, difficult time this age and a painful time as you say. Obviously Cooper realises your husband means business and your the soft touch so tough up a bit. Time out worked wonders for Holly, she would cry but when she stopped which was not long, she was allowed out but was returned if behaviour not improved. They are a bit of a battle and very tiring at this age but they do learn quickly if you are as strong willed as they are. The jumping up is part of a doodle it seems, only by turning your back and walking away from the demand for attention which is mostly what jumping up is for. Take Coopers mind off that action with a toy or a different command, does Cooper sit on command ? Do you use treats as reward for his good behaviour always keep in a pocket so when he does something you ask he can be instantly rewarded. Hang in there everything is a phase that will pass, as for the biting painful as it is you must let him know it is not acceptable, give him a toy to chew or time out especially when overexcited it does not hurt them and it gives you and Cooper breathing space. Sharp baby teeth will drop and be replaced by blunter ones but biting or mouthing of any part of flesh should not be allowed or encouraged. Cooper will change daily and you will have years of loyal fun with him.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 09:31 

thanks for reply ,he picks things up quick ,and does sit really well on command so putting all the above into firmer pratice ,but he is very handsome and cheeky so got to toughen up and not give in cause he looks cute

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2019, 21:36 

Agree with Kathie, rather than say no , ask him to do something else.I used to redirect the pup onto a soft toy So not my hand, leg , my toe (man that was painful esp as breeder had allowed that before pup came home so saw toes as fair game!) Plenty ripped trousers and shirts not from menace but as you say razor sharp teeth on fly by moves as we used to call it. Today she has the softest mouth ever.
Jumping up is tough one to stop as they like to get to you. Be kind and consistent you’ll both get there.