Doodle Toilet training???

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
woodydoodle

Doodle Toilet training???

Post by woodydoodle » 14 Jan 2009, 14:30

I was just wondering whether anyone has been able to train their doodle to do their wees and poos in one particular area of their garden? Woody just does it anywhere he chooses at the moment, not the borders, but generally on the grass and I was thinking that it would be really useful if by the summer he was doing it in one particular spot. We have 2 small boys who love to run and play all over the garden and I can see lots of accidents happening if I am not quick enough picking all the poo up :wink:

If you have can you let me know how I can go about trying to train him and are the wee posts that you can buy any good?

Thanks for your help
Emma and Woody

Gill Horsfield

Re: Doodle Toilet training???

Post by Gill Horsfield » 14 Jan 2009, 15:02

Hi Emma,
I can't remember which site it was - Canine Concepts, P@H - anyway , this particular retailer had a notice saying they'd withdrawn the wee posts from sale as customer feedback was so poor. Apparently it didn't work.

tjay

Post by tjay » 14 Jan 2009, 17:12

Hello,

Samson stopped weeing randomly once he began to cock his leg. He now prefers the borders and bushes (any raised area). So maybe once he's a little bigger the problem will become less (here's hoping :wink: ).

jilli

Post by jilli » 15 Jan 2009, 13:07

Hi, I noticed your post and although we hope to also train our dood to go in one patch of the garden we haven't yet put it into practice but one thing I would say my brother has two labradores who both go in one patch in their garden and amazingily do no use each others patches they actually have one patch each and stick to their own patches. My parents also had a Springer Spaniel many years ago who was also trained to use her patch. Apparantly it takes hard work and perseverence walking to the patch on the lead every time and treats and praise and constantly watching them in the garden make sure they don't go anywhere else. But looking a my brothers dogs (and garden !) its well worth it.

clarey

Post by clarey » 15 Jan 2009, 13:16

Hi - I bought a spray (not the post) which was supposed to attract them to a specific place and it was complete rubbish. Made no difference at all. As previously said, I think it's possible by training with a lot of hard work and perseverance but don't waste any money on gimmics - they're a con :evil:

woodydoodle

Post by woodydoodle » 15 Jan 2009, 13:47

Thanks for that jilli it sounds like that might be a job for the spring, training Woody to go just in one place. He has totally trashed the garden so I think it would be worth it. It is good to know that others have succeded.

Hi Gill and Clarey thanks for the info. I think that I will save my money then and concentrate on the training!!
Emma and Woody

nashav

Post by nashav » 15 Jan 2009, 15:17

Hi, just noticed your post.

Paige has always used one part of the garden for her poos, wees is a different matter but i have just come to terms with the brown patches on the lawn now.

The only advice i can give you is what a book said about training puppies to toilet in one area. You need to choose a part of the garden that woody is allowed to toilet in, then you will have to supervise the toilet trips. Start by using a lead and walk Woody to the area and ensure he toilets in this spot, if he doesnt do his business then go back inside and try again a bit later. Continue to do this process until you can walk Woody up to the spot on a loose lead, in other words he is leading you to the spot in the garden.

Next you can let him out without using the lead BUT go out with him so if he strays to toilet somewhere else you are on hand to correct him.

Hope this helps, the process will take time but like any training the end result is rewarding.

x
Image Image

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » 28 Jan 2009, 19:59

We've "almost" got there with Truffle 1t 17 weeks. I decided to bite the bullet and teach her where I wanted her to go as soon as we brought her home, rather than in 2 stages (housetraining then training to a specific area). We found the way she was able to understand what we wanted was to temporarily fence a corner of the garden with a stick fixed across the opening that she had to hop over. After weeks and weeks of going out there with her - first on a lead, then encouraging her without, she now goes there pretty reliably, even when she's been playing in the garden. We still watch her and yell "in the corner" if we think she needs to go though! :lol:
Truffle:Image