Dogmatic head collar

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
linny

Dogmatic head collar

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2009, 15:41

After one week of using he Dogmatic head collar I have to say how pleased I am with this particular product.
Walks are now a pleasure , Ambrose is happy to wear it and comes to me to put it on!
I use it with the training lead..... Marks out of ten :?: ...9. :!: .... dropping a point as I would like to see another keep on the training lead to stop it looping when I am using it short..
If anyone has pulling problems it is a brilliant training aid.
:D :D :D :D :D :D ....a very happy Linny :!:

tashanlouie

Re: Dogmatic head collar

Post by tashanlouie » 12 Feb 2009, 16:15

Glad it works for u Linny :D
I spent my money on it and louie can still pull like mad with it on :(
Tasha

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 12 Feb 2009, 17:31

Bought one a week ago. Bloooooming fantastic! Dougal is over 6 stone and pulls like made on the outward walk, my shoulder has been giving me hell. The Dogmatic head collar works a treat, I must admit to having been a bit sceptical. I use it with a training lead as well, one end attached to the head collar and the other to his ordinary collar as I wasn't happy with the lead just on the head collar. Dougal now walks a trat and I can manage him one-handed! I would definately recommend.

oops!

Post by oops! » 12 Feb 2009, 18:18

oh no!- i thought that everyone recommended the gentle leader so i just got one coming off ebay.the haltis have been ok but not robust enough and broke in parts-gutting when i think they cost £40 with leads for the 2.i also wanna say DONT get choke chains from wilkinson coz ziggys broke in half and it was only a day old.good job it was on the lane and not the main road. :oops:
Donna.

ASK FOR EYE TEST CERTIFICATES WHEN CHOOSING A PUPPY.

linny

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2009, 20:05

The Gentle Leader is well recommended here so I wouldn't worry.
I was talking to the chap who takes the training class that I attend and his recommendation was the Gentle Leader

oops!

Post by oops! » 12 Feb 2009, 21:54

phew!!thanks linny i am getting a bit fed up of buying contraptions to stop em pulling.although they seem to have calmed down a bit recentley.hopefull y the gl will help when taking them on the school pick up.i was chuffed to get one for £1.50.bargain!lol

Donna.

ASK FOR EYE TEST CERTIFICATES WHEN CHOOSING A PUPPY.

Boo Bear

Post by Boo Bear » 12 Feb 2009, 22:29

Never heard of this collar but sounds really good.
Harry pulls at first as he is an excited nutter when I get the lead out, but then I start walking and then stand still and let him walk forward till the lead runs tight (I use a horse halter lead, softer on my hands) then I turn around and walk back and then stand still and again let him walk on till he can't go any further and repeat. This brings him to heel, it is something I rememberd from years ago from dog training. He then gets the gist that I lead him not the other way around. When he gets silly I start again.
But I still fancy one of these as I do sometimes feel a muppet doing this if I have the pram with me (my steering is not the best) and would be handy for somewhere where I can't pace up and down with him and wear out my boots!

linny

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2009, 22:34

[urlwww.dogmatic.org.uk/
Have a look. :|
Last edited by linny on 12 Feb 2009, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.

linny

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2009, 22:37

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

Sorry clicked wrong box :oops: this one will work :!:

Boo Bear

Post by Boo Bear » 12 Feb 2009, 23:09

Thanks for the link it looks good.
What size did you get?
Will be interesting to see if Harry's changes as he get his bits chopped off next week.

linny

Post by linny » 12 Feb 2009, 23:19

Ambrose is 10 inches around the muzzle and 15 inches around the neck so he is wearing size 3.
Still debating when to get Ambrose the chop :roll:

Boo Bear

Post by Boo Bear » 12 Feb 2009, 23:31

Thanks for that. Gonna invest in one.
Getting Harry done as I don't want him to run off and get his wicked way with some unsuspecting pooch! I always put him on a lead near dogs, but knowing my luck he will bolt one day before I can catch him, for me I would hate to think he could be resposible for unwanted pups, which then I know I would have to have them all and then I would be in big trouble with the OH! :roll:
Plus he has one of our old duvets and it is most off putting as he drags it around and then humps it to death. :oops: You just can't avoid him out the corner of your eye, I am really so surprised it doesn't hurt him the way (pardon my french) they flap about so much, then I move it back to his bed with my feet!!!! Eewww!

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » 13 Feb 2009, 08:54

Summer uses one of these! They are brillient! It is such a joyto have a dog trot along happily alongside you rather than dragging you behind and launching at anything that moves, even if it is only to play!!
Does anyone else who uses the dogomatic notice that their dog shakes their head more? She only seems to do it when wearing one, so i dont think it is her ears!
So impressed with the dogomatic, i may well get Jack one too!
ImageImageImage

Naillig

Post by Naillig » 13 Feb 2009, 09:06

Hi, not noticed any head shaking with Dougal.

We've only had it about a week, when I first put it on him he tries to get it off but leaves it when I tell him too. I can't beleive the transformation when we go out with it on. I put his ordinary lead on the other day, and he pulled like mad.

I only wish I had 'discovered' the Dogmatic head collar earlier. For those of you who haven't seen one, it looks very much like a horse's head collar. I spoke to the people at Dogmatic as I wasn't sure on sizing and they were very helpful.

linny

Post by linny » 13 Feb 2009, 11:31

I haven't noticed any head shaking either.
When I first put it on he spent the first 5 mins or so trying to paw it off but we have not had any problems whatsoever.
He is attending training classes at the moment and whilst in the class they like you to use a half check with training lead (or full check if you are being walked by a JCB) I can't manage Ambrose in the half check and don't like the full one .....Having spoken to the trainer he is happy for Mr A to wear his Dogmatic with a view to eventually ....(when he's the best behaved boy in the world !.)..reverting to a normal collar and lead :)
For those of you who might be interested I have put a link to Dogmatic in an earlier post on this thread,