barking mad

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
liverbird

barking mad

Post by liverbird » 22 Mar 2009, 20:31

Stella is 8 months old and the barking is REALLY starting to get me down now.
It's got so bad I am considering putting notes through the neighbours doors to apologise for the noise but to bare with us as we are trying to train her!!
I swear to God she just likes the sound of her own voice. She barks at the back door and when I open it she runs away. If I leave the door open (thinking maybe she has a thing about closed doors) she still barks. I know it's an attention thing and I try to wait for a break in the a barking to praise her for being quite but it never happens :!: - I know it's a bit extreme but you read about people poisoning peoples nuisance dogs, I'm terrified if she carries on something like that could happen or they could report us to RSPCA - it really is that bad. I am at a loss what to do - the next step I think is going to be a dog behaviourist to give their professional opinion. I am the first the admit that we will need training aswell but it's where to start - any suggestions welcome :oops:

lauraw

Re: barking mad

Post by lauraw » 22 Mar 2009, 20:35

Aonghus has started barking a lot too. He never did it until about 2 months ago. If it gets really out of hand and he jumps up at the same time, we put him in the kitchen for a few minutes until he calms down and this helps. I have started to say no each time he does and it tell him to sit and this can sometimes help too. My next door's neighbours dog barks constantly and she thinks it is because she is in season, so maybe that has something to do with it? We are just trying what we can at the moment and I thought we were getting to grips with it but sometimes I'm not so sure!

linny

Post by linny » 22 Mar 2009, 21:40

You're not alone :roll: ...Ambrose used to bark and whine even if I went to the loo....he barks if someone comes to the door, he barks if any of the family arrive and it is deafening...it makes my ears ring :x
When he barks I do not speak to him or look at him I take him straight to the conservatory and shut the door..... when he stops I let him back in but if he comes back and continues to bark ...out he goes :!:
He is a little better than he was and the penny is dropping (albeit slowly)
I know exactly how you feel :roll:

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 22 Mar 2009, 22:19

I put her in the kitchen today when my mum came because Stella wouldn't let her past the front door. :oops: The dog barked for a good half hour - loudly :!: . When she eventually calmed down, I had to take her into the living room on a lead to stop her jumping all over my mother, so she was only a leads length away from me all afternoon. A friend has suggested a crate but is it not too late to introduce one when most of the other doods the same age on here are now coming out of theirs :?:
We have moved the stair gate that confined her to the utility room and extended it to include the kitchen for when we are trying to get her to shut her up (time out) but I am considering moving it back the smaller area. What do you think :?: She barks for ages wherever we put her :roll:

linny

Post by linny » 22 Mar 2009, 23:40

It must be dreadful if she is barking for long periods of time....You might try a crate and crate her when she barks then let her out when she stops,...with luck she might associate going in the crate with barking and realise she gets out and made a fuss of when she is quiet.
Having said that perhaps the same can be achieved without the expense of buying a crate simply restricting her back to the utility room .
Ear plugs sound good to me!
It's not fun is it...I do sympathise

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Mar 2009, 01:24

I can well imagine the barking driving you crazy :shock: My lab Barney barks if anyone sets foot in our courtyard and it is very annoying. With him I say thankyou, that's enough, and reward him and he knows that he has to stop then, but he is 11 so he's had time to get the hint :roll:

Daisy barks in class - it is an attention thing and she does it when she is waiting for her turn. I have to ignore her, and when she has been quiet for a while I reward her with a "good quiet" and a treat. If she barks when I give her a command I say "no bark", and if she persists I gently hold her snout , and reward her when she is quiet.

I hope you get Stella to understand when he should bark, and when to be quiet soon!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Parker

Post by Parker » 24 Mar 2009, 09:42

I was chatting to a behaviourist the other day (like you do . . .) as Parker has taken to barking at the sound of a leaf falling in the next village :( She said immediately "Pet Corrector Spray" and produced a can from her pocket. It is about £5 for a small bright red can of noise or £10 for a big one. She said to let the dog let you know someone was at the door and then you say your word to make her stop ie shush or quiet and give a quick squirt of the spray which should interrupt the behaviour at which point you praise like mad.

Make sure you keep the can with you all the time to correct her each time she starts with lots of praise. I have only given about three bursts of the spray (boring, it's quite fun :twisted: ) as all I have to do is show Parker the red can and he stops when I say "shush".

The alternative is to teach her the Dunbar method which involves teaching her to 'speak' and once you can get her to bark when there is no reason to bark it is easier to get her to 'shush' without you having to worry about who is knocking at your door. Have a look here http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/woofshush for a better explanation.

Good luck - it is worth the hard work - for your ears' sake, if nothing else!
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 24 Mar 2009, 12:24

Where can I get the spray - I might need an industrial size can :lol:
I did try spraying her with water and firmly saying 'no barking' which only resulted in a mammoth doodle dash :evil:

Parker

Post by Parker » 24 Mar 2009, 12:42

I found it in the pet shop in town Pampurred Pets or something like that. I'm sure most pet stores will stock it or you could try here http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/cgi-bin ... =&pet=dogs but I do have to say it will be cheaper in a local shop (no p&p). The can on the link is only small too :roll: :wink: :|
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

Parker

Post by Parker » 30 Mar 2009, 09:21

Just wondering how Stella is getting on - is she still barking for England?
Jo and Parker x
Image Image

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 30 Mar 2009, 18:53

Hiya - just got back from a few days away in the caravan - Stella was a different dog while we were away :!: It was all new to her and I think she loved it - plenty of walks and lots of fuss from passers by.
I did invest in a pet corrector spray and what a difference it has made. We used it a couple of times at the caravan and in no time she was just lying down ignoring everything that was going on around her including the grand kids :!: :!:
I haven't used it since we got home and I'm hoping it won't be needed very often - just showing her the can is enough.
As always there is always someone on the forum that 'comes up trumps' with help and info - thanks for the advice...........watch this space :D

Lola

Post by Lola » 30 Mar 2009, 19:19

A tired dog is a happy contented dog!

Parker

Post by Parker » 02 Apr 2009, 16:36

liverbird wrote:Hiya - just got back from a few days away in the caravan - Stella was a different dog while we were away :!: It was all new to her and I think she loved it - plenty of walks and lots of fuss from passers by.
I did invest in a pet corrector spray and what a difference it has made. We used it a couple of times at the caravan and in no time she was just lying down ignoring everything that was going on around her including the grand kids :!: :!:
I haven't used it since we got home and I'm hoping it won't be needed very often - just showing her the can is enough.
As always there is always someone on the forum that 'comes up trumps' with help and info - thanks for the advice...........watch this space :D

Great news! :D :D :D
Jo and Parker x
Image Image