HELP! BARKING & MOUTHING

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
lauraw

HELP! BARKING & MOUTHING

Post by lauraw » 03 Apr 2009, 19:23

Hi All. Just wondered if any of you had some pearls of wisdom about barking & mouthing. Have tried a few things, excluding him from us which works to a point, making him sit works a bit and a wee tap on the nose occasionally but he still wants to bark. He never used to and I don't know what made him start. He barks at people going by the window, the children playing in their own garden across the road, the window cleaner (but I can understand that one with the noisy ladders, think he is just protecting us) and sometimes he barks in the middle of playing a game. I thought at first it was attention seeking and we just ignored him and that worked for a while but not really much now. If we take him by the collar and put him in the kitchen he tries to mouth us. I saw the Dog Whisperer and he sort of tweeked the side of the dog's mouth which I have been doing and he then sometimes licks me (which I presume is okay). I really don't know what to do. It is happening on a daily basis. I sometimes think he is tired (I really think he should have gone for a sleep just now before starting a barking spree but he didn't) and maybe just like a tired toddler but I really don't know what else to try. I would be really grateful for any suggestions. We nearly made it a whole day yesterday but not quite!

Thanks.

Laura

Madeleine

Re: HELP! BARKING & MOUTHING

Post by Madeleine » 03 Apr 2009, 20:01

Hi Laura

I shall watch with interest to replies as we are having the same problem with Dylan, I do agree with you as regard to over excitment and like a toddler being over tired and not knowing what to do next so is 'naughty'. We do tend to put him in his crate for 5 minutes which helps but the mouthing we were hoping would get better when his grown up teeth come through. I find if I stand over him with open hands and no eye contact he gets the message but it takes courage to do this as if he has his jaws on your favorite jumper you have to hope that he lets go !! I hope other more experienced doodle owners can give advice as I am not sure if doing the right thing By the way Dylan is just 5 months

thanks for posting this problem, its good to know we are not alone and do not have a hooligan dog !! luv em !!

Madeleine
ImageImage

lauraw

Post by lauraw » 03 Apr 2009, 20:19

Hi Madeleine

I don't know when all their teeth come in. Aonghus has lots of new sparkly white teeth. I have tried standing over him but must admit still look at him so will try to avoid eye contact the next time. I can honestly say this is the only thing that worries we about him. He is lovely but it is very frustrating not know if you're doing the right thing or not so I really hope someone with a lot more experience than I've got gives me some hints.

Laura

Lorraine B

Post by Lorraine B » 03 Apr 2009, 21:30

Hi Laura,
Our pup Echo is the same age as yours and did not used to bark, however a couple of months ago she also started to bark a lot when out in the garden and occassionally in the house but she never barks when anyone knocks at the door or rings the bell. I wondered whether young pups do not really bark until they are 4-5 months old and are becoming more confident as I cannot think of any other reason why the barking would have started suddenly. It has got so bad that I have to take her out to the garden
on her lead in the morning and the evening to go to the toilet as I would not like to think she would wake th neighbours by barking. We dont have too much trouble with mouthing now, it seems to have got much better over the last month although she does still try to mouth my son and nephew (who are both 12) but I think she knows it is wrong, she mostly does it when she is over excited. These things aside she is a great pup and brings a lot of joy to our family.

Lola

Post by Lola » 03 Apr 2009, 22:37

I have a similar problem with Lola barking. If somebody walks past the drive she barks but if they walk in then she just wags her tail. However my problem is slightly different because I can get her to stop straight away but I cant Prevent her from doing it. So any advice would be much appreciated.

The mouthing thing is very much a poodle trait. Lola does it to my dad when she first sees him but not to anyone else. She does seem to be doing it affectionately though. I wonder if it is a dominance thing.

To Madeleine I would strongly recommend that you dont put dylan in his create as a punishment because it is supposed to be the place that he feels most safe in the world.

To Laura have you tried a sterner cure like squirting with water, using a rattle, or a spray/shock collar? If you wanted to use any of these methods I would do more research first and then make sure everyone in the family knew how to discipline (Not punish) properly. Remember consistency is key to any training.

Cheers Paul

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 04 Apr 2009, 08:38

It's far more effective (ie it's quicker ;)) to tell the dog what you do want them to do than punish (or 'discipline' - whatever you want to call it) for doing something you don't want them to do.

http://www.jersey.net/~mountaindog/berner1/bitestop.htm

lauraw

Post by lauraw » 04 Apr 2009, 15:20

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure Aonghus is beginning to realise it is wrong to do these things (or in the case of barking not particularly wrong but to not do it when people are simply walking by and not to do it to us for no reason!).

I think you are correct Paul, consistency is the key so I am trying to make sure that the rest of the family are doing the same things. I did try to flick some water at Aonghus (didn't have a spray) and he just tried to catch it in his mouth. I will get a spray to see if it has any effect, don't fancy the collar much.

Barneyboy, not entirely sure how I can say to Aonghus I don't want you to bark or mouth? What I have tried, especially when he is on the chair looking outside, is to leave him quite happily there or stand beside him, looking out and stroking him but when he barks, I have just been moving him from the chair so he can't see. Is that the sort of thing you mean? We try once he has been told not to bark that when he is quiet make a fuss of him. I watched an episode of the Dog Whisperer a couple of nights ago and he said that unless you let them make the mistake then they won't know what they have done wrong. Suppose he has a point there. We learn through our mistakes, don't we?

I understand why he barks with the window cleaner and he never barks when the door bell goes and is really happy to see anyone who comes in.

Like you say Lorraine, apart from these things Aonghus is a brilliant dog. He is very affectionate and funny. He has changed our lives completely and I do hope that we just have to find the thing that will make him understand what is acceptable/unacceptable.

Thanks for your help.

Laura

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 04 Apr 2009, 17:12

Hi Laura and everyone

Have read your advice a replies and have come to conclusion you are right Laura in as much every dog is different [like children I suppose] and what works for one does not for another. It is getting to know your dog and growing with them. They all settle in the end and as they are different they have different habits, it is as much as avoiding situations which you know cause trouble or difficulties [again like children and adults come to think of it] It is great letting their personalities develope and wouild be a boring world if all turned out the same, its a question of us adapting too. Our dog like you has changed our lives for the better and even though we have these problems now I am sure in a year or two we will both have forgotten about them, come to think of it they are not really problems when you watch dog whisperor !! some of them are far worse !!

This site however is great for discussing ideas and opinions and I am somewhat hooked, hubby doesn't mind either as it doesn't involve my cheque card number !!
ImageImage

lauraw

Post by lauraw » 04 Apr 2009, 17:40

Hi Madeleine,

My hubby doesn't mind either - he likes looking at all the wonderful dogs and the great stories. Until he saw a post where I mentioned his snoring! "Did you have to tell everyone?" he said. Hee hee. I said, of course. I don't lie and probably like the majority on here men do snore!!

Just had Aonghus out on a walk for about 45 minutes and he's collapsed in a heap. He met a dog and got so excited and even got a biscuit from his owner. Played a bit of footie when we got back and I managed not to fall this time. The other dog had been from a local rescue shelter. Seemingly his owners were separating so the dog went to one set of the parents but didn't get on with their dog so they gave him up! Can you imagine that??! I just couldn't be without Aonghus now, it would break my heart. He was a quiet dog and didn't mind Aonghus getting excited and jumping and trying to play. Poor thing but the man with him was really nice so he probably is in a happier home now.

Well, as you say Madeleine, our dogs have made our life a lot happier and we have many a happy year in front of us. Can't wait!

Laura

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 04 Apr 2009, 18:08

You tell him what you do want him to do by encouraging activities similar to the ones he wants to do, but in a way that's acceptable to you - ie chewing a Kong instead of your shoes, tugging on a 'Ragger' instead of your jumper sleeve - there's lots of info in the link I posted, which incidentally is written by Ian Dunbar, who developed the idea of training a puppy from day one, instead of waiting until it was 6 months, as used to be the case.

lauraw

Post by lauraw » 06 Apr 2009, 17:03

Barneyboy - thanks & sorry - didn't see the link! Have read it and it makes a lot of sense. We did the ouch thing when he was really young and he certainly doesn't put any pressure on when he mouths so that must have worked. I must admit, I have gone into the kitchen and shut the door on him when he was getting out of hand and that did seem to calm him down. Certainly, if we try to grab him and put him out of the room he does get more excited, to the point we think he thinks it is some kind of game and that doesn't teach him anything! Quite relieved that the mouthing is a normal puppy behaviour and will work on when to get him to stop. The off cue is also interesting because he is getting too interested in our meal times or what's on the bunker tops in the kitchen. When he is given a treat, e.g. for coming in or during training, he never touches our hands now, something we learned to do at puppy training so will try to expand that into other situations.

Thanks for your help. Link was really good.

Laura

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 06 Apr 2009, 23:12

Hi - I posted a topic the other week about Stella barking non stop (t'internet's been off so I've only just picked up this thread :evil: )
Someone suggested a pet corrector spray which is basically a can of compressed air that makes a load hiss when sprayed - I was desperate so was prepared to try anything even tho it sounded a bit odd - guess what - it worked :D Stella has only got to see the can now and she stops!! Result

lauraw

Post by lauraw » 07 Apr 2009, 20:55

I think I've seen those in the pet shop. Hubby said we didn't need something like that!! Didn't see your post - my brain is mush at the moment and retaining nothing so might have seen it and forgotten!! Aonghus seems to be realising I don't like it because he has now started on occasions making his head going forward as they do when they bark and making a little gruff noise - it is quite funny. It's like he's saying "if she won't let me bark, I'll do it in my head!". :roll: He hasn't been quite so bad the last couple of days but if he doesn't give up the ghost completely soon will try the spray.

Isn't the internet great - very frustrating when it doesn't work though!