Another broken cat flap!

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
secretpennell

Another broken cat flap!

Post by secretpennell » 18 Apr 2009, 23:45

When she was younger it was rather cute to see Truffle's head poking through the cat flap. (In fact, it still is!) However, at 7 months she's now taken to charging at it at high speed and force and tonight there's a hole in the door and a smashed flap on the floor again! This is clearly going to be a hard-to-break habit, so does anyone know of a stronger door? We thought about the magnetic/infrared ones where cat wears a tag for it to open, but they only work from one direction, and unfortunately Truffle sees the need to look through it from both directions! :roll:
Truffle:Image

linny

Re: Another broken cat flap!

Post by linny » 19 Apr 2009, 00:44

:lol: :lol: :lol: SORRRY!
Just have this vision of a Doodle wearing a cat flap :lol: :lol:
Seriously ...it's not that funny is it, what about fitting a dog flap that both truffle and the cat could use.At least she wouldn't destroy that...or would she :?: :?:

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 19 Apr 2009, 09:32

:lol: we've not had ours broken yet but it is cute and funny

[IMG]http://i621.photobucket.com/albums
ImageImage

ImageImage

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 19 Apr 2009, 09:34

ImageImage

ImageImage

bagpussy

Post by bagpussy » 19 Apr 2009, 18:44

This story has just had myself and OH in stitches!

Our doodle has enjoyed going through the cat flap until she got too big for it and now can only just get her head through it. (Amazing, it took us two weeks to train the cat to use it but the doodle pup gets the gist in less than one day without any introduction)!

The other morning though, she had decided to rip the flap off it's hinges so now we just have a great gaping hole in the door!! Oh what joy!!

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » 19 Apr 2009, 21:53

so now we just have a great gaping hole in the door!! Oh what joy!!
Yes, that's what Truffle thinks too!! :lol:
I googled strong cat doors, and have come up with an aluminium one with a flexible flap. Anyone got one?
She's not at the stage yet (ever??) where she can be in the garden without a watchful eye - so no dogflap for her linny.

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 20 Apr 2009, 14:57

Teddy is a great destroyer of cat flaps - he punches the flap with his paw and barks at it as it swings to and fro !!! :lol: :roll:

He has broken the flap part twice, the first time we replaced the entire cat flap and then I found somewhere online where you can buy just the see through flap so I stocked up.

We have the Staywell basic single locking one so might be worth considering that..........??

Anyway, you have my sympathy !!!

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » 21 Apr 2009, 11:57

No go -Truffle has manged to also smash the corner of the plastic frame where the flap fits.

susanan

Post by susanan » 21 Apr 2009, 12:49

You are not alone! Lottie has been through 4 cat flaps and we have finally given in and blocked in the hole and let the cats out through the front door.
Susan

peelm

Post by peelm » 21 Apr 2009, 19:04

If you can, get a dog flap! We have 4 cats and never intended the dog to use the flap but as you've all found out, they do! We have now graduated to the largest dog flap available. Our smallest cat has serious muscles now, as she heaves the flap open!!! It has solved the problem though!!! However, our door leads onto a high walled secure yard, not a low fenced garden or something exciting like that!
J
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 30 Apr 2009, 22:26

We have cats that rip the flap apart if we lock it. The good news is Staywell do spares for the flaps you can get all the bits to repair one. If its still in guarantee they will send you the parts free. Just don't tell them its been doodled! Daisy wont go near our one, we suspect the cat sunk a claw in at an early age.

One possible quick cure have someone outside preferably someone he dosent know and wont meet again to give him a healthy dose from a bucket of water water pistol etc when he sticks his head out next time. I know its shock tactics but should sort your problem out or try one of those spray collars
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » 01 May 2009, 20:03

Well, we bought and fitted the aluminium cat flap! Watch this space........... :lol:

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » 08 May 2009, 22:41

....... It's lasting longer than the last one did...... 8)

linny

Post by linny » 09 May 2009, 09:56

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope that you have at last found a solution :!: ..I will watch this space with interest :lol:
Fingers crossed :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 May 2009, 09:03

If it doesn't work, would it be worth putting the cat flap higher up where the cat can reach it but the dog can't? You can get ones specifically for fitting to windows which might be an way round it :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron