dog whisperer tour uk

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
bedlingtondoodle

dog whisperer tour uk

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 23 Nov 2009, 20:42

if anyone is interested Ceaser Millan (the dog whisperer) is doing a uk tour next march tickets went on sale today, would post a link but really dont know how :oops:
I think that some of his ideas are pretty good, but not sure if I agree with all of them.
p.s tickets are quite expensive.
Lewie
Benson

JasperS

Re: dog whisperer tour uk

Post by JasperS » 23 Nov 2009, 21:12

I'm not a fan and our trainer told us some of his methods were very questionable.
I can understand why he is so popular though as he does appear to get results.

http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/dogbehavio ... perer.html

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 24 Nov 2009, 00:00

I like to keep an open mind on dog training techniques, as what works for one fails for others. The principle that Ceaser holds through all of his series and books:"birds fly, fish swim, dogs walk" holds true. Having worked with many so called problem dogs in the past I would say that atleast 50% of the time boredom, is one of the key factors.
This saying also seems to me to say that a dog is a dog, dont expect it to be more than that. :)
as I said I dont agree with everything but some of it makes sense (to me atleast):D
Lewie
Benson

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 24 Nov 2009, 09:28

Hi

We enjoy watching the programme and it seems that most of the time he is training the owners, it does give some good ideas but I agree at times it is questionable. will maybe get tickets depends on what is going on in my diary .
Must add though none of his tecniques have helped with us training Dylan !

Madeleine
ImageImage

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 28 Nov 2009, 18:20

You are right most of the shows its the owners that have a problem hes very good at training them and the dogs seem to benefit as well
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 28 Nov 2009, 18:38

There is a ticket to see Caesar Milan at Wembley up for bidding on in the auction on Doodle Times.

Happy Hunting :P
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 28 Nov 2009, 19:21

I have never seen any of these programmes ( as we have only the 4 main channels) but I have seen and know of some people trying out very bullying "training" techniques on their dogs. There is an interesting statement on the APDT site-

http://coape.org/awsn.html

Katherine
ImageImage

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 28 Nov 2009, 21:27

I would in no way call Ceaser a 'bully' Like with some horses if a short sharpe lesson isn't given the dog/horse could easily end up being destroyed. Mostly it is the owner that needs training but very often the dog/horse has to be got to a level were the owner can cope. I have met a few dogs and horse were the owners have been so 'kind' in their method of training that the animal has turned into a brat, a dangerous one, and have been got rid of. I wonder what sort of life they end up having?

peelm

Post by peelm » 01 Dec 2009, 14:16

I couldn't agree more. Most of his techniques are not needed if we get things right from the beginning. Unfortunately, most of the stuff we see him do is when the dog has serious issues. There is always more than one way to skin a cat (or rehabilitate a dog). For the flip side, check out Victoria Stillwell. Her approach is completely reward based, but I haven’t seen how she works with seriously aggressive dogs.

M.
Michael, Janet, Fozzie and Dylan

For all your pet portraits, visit :- http://www.theloudhouse.co.uk

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 01 Dec 2009, 14:23

How many owners watching Milan actually have a 'seriously aggressive dog'?

This is why his style of training is not appropriate 'entertainment' let alone serious educational TV.

peelm

Post by peelm » 01 Dec 2009, 14:54

I don't know how many. Do you?
If whoever is watching learns anything about exercise, ground rules, treating your dog like a dog, not a child etc, then surely, that's a positive.

We’ve been around this sort of discussion before. Yes, reward based training / rehabilitation is always the preferred option, when a problem’s gone on for too long, or is too deep seated, that just don’t work. And his approach may. The main problem I see is that someone watches a couple of shows and thinks they know how to deal with dogs with aggression, nerves, hyperactivity etc, which obviously is not the case.

All that I'm saying is that he has something to offer, not all the time but some of the time, so to dismiss his methods out of hand is possibly a little narrow minded.

I'm going to see him to make a more informed judgement, rather than watching some edited highlights, as you rightly say, for entertainment.

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 02 Dec 2009, 01:08

I am amazed at how many different views there are on his methods. The wisest thing that I think is has ever said about dogs is "the only thing that two dog trainers can ever agree on his that the third dog trainer is doing it all wrong" ( from his book ).
We all have to take the things that work from his methods and things we learn elsewhere and develop our own style :D
Surely life cant be all rewards and no consequences for bad behaviour :?:
Lewie
Benson

peelm

Post by peelm » 02 Dec 2009, 12:27

Exactly.....!

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 02 Dec 2009, 14:02

bedlingtondoodle wrote:I am amazed at how many different views there are on his methods. The wisest thing that I think is has ever said about dogs is "the only thing that two dog trainers can ever agree on his that the third dog trainer is doing it all wrong" ( from his book ).
We all have to take the things that work from his methods and things we learn elsewhere and develop our own style :D
Surely life cant be all rewards and no consequences for bad behaviour :?:
And even that was taken from somebody else - I heard it about 10 years ago.

Yes, life can be all rewards, there are always consequences, so why shouldn't there be positive ones? Scientifically, it's more effective to train using reward based methods - they just aren't so 'showey' or interesting to watch unless you understand what is going on.

peelm

Post by peelm » 02 Dec 2009, 16:24

And we go around the circle again. I realise we’ve digressed a little from the original subject, but…

Here are a couple of theoretical situations.
If your dog lunges at someone / something when on lead, for whatever reason, whether friendly or otherwise, and it’s completely out of the ordinary, what should we do? He KNOWS how to walk to heel. You’ve spent months training him using positive reward methods. He will continue to get reward (praise, or the occasional treat) as he’s trotting nicely by your side, but if he does something unacceptable, in a split second, what then?
Should we ignore the behaviour? Should we spend the next 20 minutes, with that same stimulus, using rewards to teach our dog that his behaviour was unacceptable? Yes, absolutely, if you and the stimulus have that 20 minutes to spare.
If not, and let’s face it , who’s going to ask a perfect stranger to stop for a few minutes, and help with our training, especially if they’re a bit cheesed off at our dog anyway, then I feel there has to be some sort of instant correction, otherwise that unacceptable behaviour has been allowed by us.

Your dog chases the cat. What should we do? Let the dog chase the cat, then bring him back and train? By that point he’s had the fun / reward of chasing the cat. Or, use a house line, stop him from chasing the cat in the first instance and then use positive methods to re-enforce that he shouldn’t chase cats.

I make no apologies for my view that there has to be some instant correction involved when our dogs do something that is not acceptable at the instant it happens.