Puppy Age to Crate ok overnight ?

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Deborah21

Puppy Age to Crate ok overnight ?

Post by Deborah21 » 24 Nov 2009, 22:10

Hello !!

I know there's already a post about crating overnight :oops: but it's not really answering my quandry !!!! :wink:

Ozzy is 14 weeks tomorrow, he goes into his crate for 4 /5 hours max during the day whilst I'm in work, and he's fine, no problems, but at night we put him in his "den" with the door open and paper down, he has now stopped pooping on the paper :D and is just weeing, he's fenced off (for want of a better word !) at the door end of the kitchen, but is now able to move the cage 8) and get thru to the main kitchen part where he is now peeing galore :evil: !!!!

My question is am I doing more harm than good not shutting him in overnight ?? He's fine when left in the day time, no mess in den, just don't want him to get not to like his den as he's got to go in in the day coz I work, and he's starting to chew :roll: !!!

Advice would be gratefully received !!!! Feel I should take the plunge and leave him overnight (sure he be fine) would like reassurance ! :?

On another point, Ozzy getting rather spoilt, :lol: and has now starting barking continuously if he doesn't get his fusses or own way where sitting on demand !!! :oops: how can I curb before gets toooooooo bad !!!

LynneL

Re: Puppy Age to Crate ok overnight ?

Post by LynneL » 24 Nov 2009, 23:30

I can only tell you my own experience. Although Lou was never a crate fan we used it overnight straight away. She was always clean in it and although we got rid of it after a few weeks I'm sure thats what got her clean at night and she has stayed so ever since out of the crate in a room gated off. We never had paper in the crate just vet bed and blanket so she saw it as a bed area.So if I were you I would give it a go and shut the crate at night.

We never left her in the crate during the day as have a handy seperate room so don't need to and she's not a chewer ATM (hope it lasts :? ) I too work mornings only. I know others have successfully used the crate dring the day but if you are not sure maybe a pen would be better and give your pup more freedom (if you have the space for one) I am sure others will also have advice for you.

Good Luck :D

Can't say much about the barking. The only thing we do is that if she is in the other room for a couple of minutes for timeout or after she has eaten, we never let her in if she is barking or whining. We always wait until she is quiet. But like you we are learning all the time. :D

Ridley's

Post by Ridley's » 25 Nov 2009, 07:37

Hi

I personaaly would close the door to the crate at night aswell, I have a f1 labradoodle called Sadie she is 11 weeks and has been shut in her crate at night from day one. when we first had her she poo'd and wee is her crate at night i just never seemed to get up early enough to catch her before she did it. But now she goes in her crate anywhere between 9pm and 10pm and is totally clean till she wakes us around 5-6am. The barking thing Sadie does occassionally if she is being told off but i hold my own so she knows who is boss and then she is quiet just like having a naughty child i guess hee hee x
Natalie

KateW

Post by KateW » 25 Nov 2009, 12:09

I am a great advocate of crates having first used one for a puppy over twenty years ago and they are a great help with toilet training so I would close it at night.

However, my experience of their day time use is for short naps in between puppy play or as a place of safety if something potentially dangerous to a puppy is going on. I would think that it will become very difficult quite soon for Ozzy to be kept in a crate for several hours at a time. You may well find that he starts chewing more than is usual because of this. If you can puppy proof a room for him I think he will be much calmer as he will be able to burn off some energy. He will also be teething so needs plenty of "legal" things to chew.... The only problem with this is that he is too young at this age to go for several hours without needing to wee; perhaps a friend or neighbour would be prepared to come in and see him and take him out to the garden.

Katherine
ImageImage

Daisy(mini)Doodle

Post by Daisy(mini)Doodle » 25 Nov 2009, 19:59

Daisy is now 20mths and sleeps in her crate every night locked in(Protection from 3 marauding cats) she has always slept in one to the point that when we are away in our motorhome she will try to get into it while its being assembled. We dont use it during the day but did for the first few months
Chris & Pauline Daisy & Ziva
ImageImage

janettehamman

Post by janettehamman » 25 Nov 2009, 23:19

Hi yes I am glad you asked this as I was wondering the same. Our Daisy is now 13 weeks and I have tried both ways; locking her in to which she pooed in her bed a few times and it was a right mess. I then left the door opened and newspapers down whilst having to lock my olders dogs crate (which I wouldn't normally do) as I am not sure they wouldn't fight and play all night :lol:
She didn't always poo on the newspaper which was fine but we now think she is eating her poo!! :cry: :cry: so I think I will try the locking in again.

Let us know how you get on. I like you work 4-5 hours and she is crated, door locked with no problems with my other dog free in the kitchen.

Janette
ImageImage

ImageImage

Deborah21

Post by Deborah21 » 28 Nov 2009, 15:37

Update !!! :lol:

Hooray !!! so far so good ! Ozzy has been in his den, locked in all night, and he's been fine !!!!! :mrgreen: :D :D :D

Am so pleased !!! think as I was advised, it will help with toilet training,

Thanks all for the advice and tips given, and for anyone reading ....would defo advise from about 12 /13 weeks !! ! prob would do earlier (personally) coz they prob would mess, as doo wee alot !!

Thanks all !!!