Puppy classes in Exeter Area????

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Bear

Puppy classes in Exeter Area????

Post by Bear » 07 Sep 2010, 10:40

Wondered if anyone out there can recommend a good puppy class for Oscar, in or around Exeter?? He is being very good with us,already sitting,giving us a paw and lying down to command,after only being here 10 days :D But I would like him to go to proper classes to help learn everything else and meet more friends :lol:

annvinton

Re: Puppy classes in Exeter Area????

Post by annvinton » 07 Sep 2010, 17:08

I use a brilliant trainer who lives in Tiverton but holds classes in Bickleigh-on-Exe, so depending whereabouts in Exeter you are, could be near enough.
PM me if you want to know more,

Ann & Ben

doodlicious

Post by doodlicious » 07 Sep 2010, 18:19

There are classes held at the CliffDen hotel for the blind in teignmouth, which I have heard are good, but I was told about a lady in Teigngrace that does classes on a saturday morning that you can just go to as and when and its 5 pounds a time. So if you are having paticular issues she will cater for that, Thought I'd try those out for Fern. She does an hour of training then an hour of agility afterward.

Bess Exeter

Post by Bess Exeter » 07 Sep 2010, 20:49

I can't help you Claire but if you go into the Port Royal pub on the exe and speak to Ellie (do you remeber we met up outside the pub in July and Ellie came across to me?) Anyway, I know she took her dog Woody to classes last year on a Wednesday evening, I think in Woodbury?

It's an excuse to go in for a drink at least, and Oscar would also be welcome in the pub :lol:

Look forward to seeing little Oscar and you + family ofcourse at the Double Locks on the 19th :D

Jayne & Bess

Bear

Post by Bear » 07 Sep 2010, 21:09

Thanks Jayne....looking forward to the 19th,will be interesting to see him with other doodles!! hope he behaves it will be his first walk :lol:

linny

Post by linny » 08 Sep 2010, 11:13

doodlicious wrote:There are classes held at the CliffDen hotel for the blind in teignmouth, which I have heard are good, but I was told about a lady in Teigngrace that does classes on a saturday morning that you can just go to as and when and its 5 pounds a time. So if you are having paticular issues she will cater for that, Thought I'd try those out for Fern. She does an hour of training then an hour of agility afterward.
Do you have any details for the lady at Teigngrace?
I would be interested to get some extra training for the Huggy monster :lol: plus the agility sounds good too....all this for a fiver ?.....

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 08 Sep 2010, 13:34

Sound excellent value for our older Doods, if she's good.

Fern and Oscar are too little for Agility though. I think, someone correct me if wrong, that Doodles should be at least 1 year old before doing agility because of forming bones and not over straining ligaments.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

KateW

Post by KateW » 08 Sep 2010, 13:58

MrsAdmin wrote:
Fern and Oscar are too little for Agility though. I think, someone correct me if wrong, that Doodles should be at least 1 year old before doing agility because of forming bones and not over straining ligaments.
Quite right, Cecilia; in fact our local agility classes will only take fully mature dogs (18 months - 2 years for the larger breeds) but I have read that some trainers do a gentle form of agilit especially for puppies.

Katherine
ImageImage

mistyfox

Post by mistyfox » 09 Sep 2010, 08:26

Hello Claire

Although I can't recommend them personally, I know three people (one of whom is a vet) who sing the praises of Devon Dogs. (devondogs.co.uk).

One friend has a Collie X and she goes there for agility and extra training (her dog is 4). They also board dogs in their home for anyone who uses their services. Another lady has a Wire Haired Vizla who is immaculately behaved. She waits at stiles and kissing gates for her mum to go through first and does everything she is told first time, and she's only 18 months old!

Maybe it's worth a look.

P.S. Oscar is super cute :D .

doodlicious

Post by doodlicious » 11 Sep 2010, 09:15

Think its fiver for the first puppy training bit, then another fiver fo rthe next bit. I cant find the number online grrr, I will have to wait untill I see the chap who told me about it and ask him.

doodlicious

Post by doodlicious » 11 Sep 2010, 10:52

Right... Saw the man that recommended them this morning again....

here ya go...

http://www.harmonydogs.co.uk/

Ditta

Post by Ditta » 11 Sep 2010, 20:35

I can't personally recomend her as I've not done the training (yet!) but one of the nurses in my vet's is the Torquay and Exeter training for the Puppy School (Founded and Directed by Gwen Baily and all trainers are trained by her.) Bingo will be going to her next class :)
Her name is Claire Luscombe and phone nr is 01803 380189

doodlicious

Post by doodlicious » 17 Sep 2010, 15:51

doodlicious wrote:Right... Saw the man that recommended them this morning again....

here ya go...

http://www.harmonydogs.co.uk/

sorry it iscalled harmony but thats not the link dont think they have a website.