Oscar - general advice

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
whitsdoodle

Oscar - general advice

Post by whitsdoodle » 14 Oct 2010, 11:16

Good morning,

We are experiencing a few things with Oscar that are probably normal but some advice/ re-assurance would be great please.

He sleeps in a crate in our bedroom which has his favourite toys, a blanket with his mums scent and a blanket over the top to make it more snug. He goes in ok but when we close the door and he is not getting attention he tends to cry and wimper. Should we be ignoring the cries as this early stage? He sleeps in 4 hour cycles and when he wakes he cries and wants attention. Last night we took him for a wee and played with him for 5 minutes before returning him to bed and staying with him until he sleeps.

He seems to have discovered his voice and as such is using it against us. When he is not getting direct attention he cries and yelps. When we leave his sight it gets worse.

Gemma went out earlier for 30 minutes and left him in his crate. He cried when she left and was crying when she got home. He is only 7.5weeks so I'm not sure if he should have a Kong filled with treats in his crate?

Like I say, i'm sure most of this is completely normal but i'd be interested at how others have dealt with it.

Thanks

A very tired Neil and Gemma
Asleep by kickers1, on Flickr

Pippin

Re: Oscar - general advice

Post by Pippin » 14 Oct 2010, 12:18

Awww the wee sausage, he's like a newborn baby just now, I would get up when he cries in the night, let him out for the toilet, settle him back into his crate, try to keep all fuss to the minimum, then after I was satisfied that his needs were met I'd leave him to settle himself, which might mean he'll cry a little. Obviously I wouldn't let him get too distressed. Like a newborn baby it's a phase that passes, soon it'll be a distant memory. I remember when Pippin was a pup we had a couple of bad nights, one night my husband brought her into our bed which was a bit of a nightmare, don't think I slept a wink for worrying that I'd suffocate her in the night plus you've got to consider the possibility of sharing your bed forevermore with a Labradonkey if you make it a habit! :lol:
ImageImage

Puppies should be warm clean and well, walk away if they are not.

http://www.dashingdoodles.co.uk/

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 14 Oct 2010, 12:21

This is like babies -never, ever give attention (particularly play) at night. If he really does need a wee (and he should be able to hold on a little longer at night, especially if you've given no water in the evening) then take him out, only talk a short praise for 'performing' then bring straight back in and into the cage. At night we put no toys ina s it is settle down and sleep time.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 14 Oct 2010, 12:25

I notice Oscar's age is only 7.5 weeks - this surprised me as my breeder would not let the puppies go until 8 weeks old.

Anyway, the advice I would offer (and I'm no expert! :? ) is that maybe when he wakes up after 4 hours it's because he wants to wee, so when you take him in the night I would then put him straight back in his crate (obviously praising him when he did the wee) and don't actually play with him, then back to sleep (hopefully! :roll: ). Perhaps when Gemma went out, he was fine after a few minutes, but heard her coming back and then started to cry. Leaving them for about 30 mins to an hour is good practice for longer periods alone. Safe toys in the crate are good, personally I wouldn't give him a kong with food just yet. Do make sure though that the toys are safe, there is a thread on here about a dog eating the stuffing of a soft toy and it swelled up inside him - scarey!

I'm sure he'll be fine, good luck with him! Photos please? :)
Sue and Rosie

baby_depardieu

Post by baby_depardieu » 14 Oct 2010, 12:50

just to say that i would also go with a quick wee outside and straight back into his crate - no play or fuss.... he needs to learn your routine and that sleep time is quiet time.
He is very little and the crying and whining will stop as he gets used to how his day will plan out... crate time is good when you are just pottering about so he doesnt just associate it with being on his own... I think they get very worried about where you are in those first few weeks as their pack / sibling attachment goes straight onto you...

Betty is now brilliant with her crate and to start off with I did worry that it would never work.. but it does.

Be consistent and firm... and do ignore the cries if he goes in his crate... otherwise if you let him out or shussh him... its like its rewarding his crying. It is hard though... and the crate doesnt work for everyone - its been good for us though... I know that Betty is safe in there and so is our house as she is a CHEWER!!! (and with her recent upset tum... also a POOER!!)

Couple more weeks and he will really settle down... :)
xxx
The friendship of a dog is, without a doubt, more intense and more constant than that of man.~ Montaigne

spangle

Post by spangle » 14 Oct 2010, 13:04

awwh Oscars a baby:)
I remember this time, like it was yesterday !Teddie is only 17 weeks, there hasn't been enough time to forget yet!! lol.

We didn't crate Teddie at night as he made so much noise, serious adult barking as soon as the door closed :(, He started out sleeping on our bed for the first 3 nights until I realised this was not a long term solution. Teddie has his own dog bed in the corner and some toys including his teddie which our breeder gave him.I have identical beds up and down stairs as well as a crate downstairs.

At night, he made chicken noises , rolf harris noises, woofs and snorts lol but this was not as bad as his barking.
It took patience and time but he now goes to sleep and wakes up when I do in a morning, with no wake up inbetween.
When my alarm goes off he makes a big yawn noise lol its very amusing.

Oscar is very young ! we picked our pup up at 12 weeks.
i think its just a question of time to let him settle into your routine.
He will also be missing his siblings
It may seem right now that things will never settle :)
I remember the first two weeks of having Teddie, OMG I was so tired, apparently its like having a newborn child, but has four legs can run, bite and poos everywhere lol.I wondered what I had let myself in on.
All I can say is It does get better, make certain that you get back into a routine that works for you so Pup fits into to this and gets used to the routine.
best of luck and look forward to reading about your doodle adventures!!!!

Lou x

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Oct 2010, 13:09

Awww - don't they sound pathetic when they are that tiny and they cry? It is very hard to ignore. I agree totally with the trips out for toileting purposes but no play at all and minimum attention. He will soon get into the swing of things, and at his age he will need to build up the time he can hold on for.

I agree too with getting him used to being left for short times, starting with you being in another room, then being out of the house - just for 5 minutes or so and building up gradually, because it is a nightmare if you end up with a dog you can't feel happy about leaving.

I don't know about you, but I felt a huge sense of responsibility that I hadn't expected, at being entrusted with the care of this little furry person, and desperately wanted to get it right for her - she turned into a manic beast, but that's another story! :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

spangle

Post by spangle » 14 Oct 2010, 13:38

awwh Oscars a baby:)
I remember this time, like it was yesterday !, Teddie is only 17 weeks, there hasn't been enough time to forget yet!! lol.

We didn't crate Teddie at night as he made so much noise, serious adult barking as soon as the door closed :(, He started out sleeping on our bed for the first 3 nights until I realised this was not a long term solution. Teddie has his own dog bed in the corner and some toys including his teddie which our breeder gave him.I have identical beds up and down stairs as well as a crate downstairs.

At night, he made chicken noises , rolf harris noises, huffed and puffed lol woofs and snorts lol but this was not as bad as his barking.
It took patience and time but he now goes to sleep and wakes up when I do in a morning, with no wake up inbetween.
When my alarm goes off he makes a big yawn noise lol its very amusing.

if Oscar wakes in the night be matter of fact take him out then back to bed lights out, sleep time, I had teddie's bed next to me at night and if he made any noise reassured him gave him a cuddle, then sleep.kongs are good, you can get puppy kong filler, but I only ever use a bit of this if I am going out for a short time and leave him in his crate.

Oscar is very young ! we picked our pup up at 12 weeks.
i think its just a question of time to let him settle into your routine.
He will also be missing his siblings
It may seem right now that things will never settle :)
I remember the first two weeks of having Teddie, OMG I was so tired, apparently its like having a newborn child, but has four legs can run, bite and poos everywhere lol. I wondered what I had let myself in on.

All I can say is It does get better, make certain that you get back into a routine that works for you ,so Pup fits into to this and gets used to how you need to do things,

Best of luck and look forward to reading about your doodle adventures!!!!

Lou x

whitsdoodle

Post by whitsdoodle » 14 Oct 2010, 13:57

Thanks, it sounds like he's normal. Initially we were getting him at 8 weeks but the breeder called and said we could have him at 6. I spoke to 3 vets who all said that it's fine. I will add some pics when I figure out how to upload them. Thanks again
Asleep by kickers1, on Flickr

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 14 Oct 2010, 20:02

Just to say, at that age, they are genuinely disorientated after separation from the mum, so there's bound to be a bit of a commotion. We have always found that a ticking clock wrapped in thick blankets to replicate the mother's heartbeat helps them settle. Plus a hot water bottle, also thickly wrapped (to avoid chewing!) can help them feel warm and secure. We have never shut our pups in crates but found a good happy medium in a playpen set-up with a paper area for toileting should accidents happen in the night, a water bowl, toys etc, but with the crate inside this set up like a little sleeping area, with the door open so that the puppy can choose to come and go as they please without disturbing you. The crate becomes a den, especially if you cover the top to keep it snug and dark.

Everyone has their own way, and you'll find yours soon enough. :) Good luck.
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Amarante

Post by Amarante » 14 Oct 2010, 20:51

Having observed puppies in the litter, not all puppies like crates or to be confined. Like Hel&Mark says, keep the door open and offer a separate area for newspaper for going to the toilet. This way, there is no reason for you to react to the crying as you know he has bed, comfort, water and somewhere away from his bed to go to the toilet. xx
Dancin' DebsImage

stout

Post by stout » 14 Oct 2010, 22:13

Stout is 13 weeks, he cried when initally put in his crate, but settled down after a minute or so. He sleeps in the living room and is now happy in his crate, and doesn't make a squeak until we come downstairs (except this morning thankfully as I forgot to set my alarm :lol: ). We got him at 7 and a half weeks, he woke up during the night for a couple of nights, and we got up took him out spoke quietly to him and put him straight back to bed and turned the lights out. The only other times he has woken up is when he had an upset stomach. It will get better, although the first night Stout slept through, I was awake all night worrying if he was OK :roll: :lol: .

Oh, nearly forgot - we also got an old tshirt, and wore it all day - probably the sweatier the better, and then put it in the crate too, so that they have your scent as well as their mums'

Stout's not keen on his crate during the day - he prefers the kitchen floor - I think because it is cooler. The kitchen is nearly puppy proof - but that's another story..... post coming soon.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 15 Oct 2010, 06:28

Liz! wrote:This is like babies -never, ever give attention (particularly play) at night. If he really does need a wee (and he should be able to hold on a little longer at night, especially if you've given no water in the evening) then take him out, only talk a short praise for 'performing' then bring straight back in and into the cage. At night we put no toys ina s it is settle down and sleep time.
Dogs should always have access to clean drinking water, I wouldn't be taking any water away.

If you want to persevere with the crate then make two separate areas so if he has to wee in the night then he can without worrying he is wetting his bed.

Marley was never crated, he got so distressed by it that I never put him back in. Some dogs just don't like it. He also hated being closed in in the boot of the car - hated it with a passion but the minute he was in the back seat he was fine so he obviously had an issue with closed spaces. He was fine with the crate when the door was open but that kind of defeats the purpose of the crate. So off it went to the local dog pound still all shiny and new.

Oscar is very young, I thought it was law that breeders couldn't let the pups go before 8 weeks and I'm surprised that vets thought that was acceptable too but maybe its just considered an acceptable time, don't know now. Still, he is here now and you have to work it all out. It is hard work, it is exhausting and you'll have the puppy razor teeth to contend with soon! Does your vet do puppy parties? Oscar will learn bite limitation from other pups quicker than he will from you and it might help with him being so young as he has missed out on the extra 2 weeks with his litter mates.

Good luck, just remember it does get better and the fun far out weighs the bad times xx

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

annej

Post by annej » 15 Oct 2010, 10:49

I remember when we first had Otto, he slept in his crate in the kitchen. He had a very large crate so there was masses of room for him to have a sleeping end and to use the other end for his toilet if needed. In fact he never made a mess in his crate. He always had a bowl of water in his crate too.

The first two nights he cried a lot - we ignored this in the early part of the night (not easy, but it paid dividends), but if he cried later we did go down to take him out quickly to the garden (remember to use your toilet word when he goes), good boy, no games, straight back in crate.

We put a ticking clock near the sleeping end of the crate (but outside the crate itself) to start with too.

The other thing I would definitely do is to cover the sleeping end of the crate not just on the top but also on the sides so it seems cosy. Otherwise it is a bit like sitting in the middle of a large room with no real visible sides + could be drafty.

Good luck, you will get through it and he will settle down.
Anne & Otto

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 15 Oct 2010, 13:08

Mica1971 wrote:
Liz! wrote:This is like babies -never, ever give attention (particularly play) at night. If he really does need a wee (and he should be able to hold on a little longer at night, especially if you've given no water in the evening) then take him out, only talk a short praise for 'performing' then bring straight back in and into the cage. At night we put no toys in as it is settle down and sleep time.
We were told no water when they were very little after 8 at night, and this seemed to be fine for Lola, till she woke at 7 when she was very little.

But now she has water down all the time.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx