Oscar - general advice

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
whitsdoodle

Re: Oscar - general advice

Post by whitsdoodle » 15 Oct 2010, 14:42

Thanks again. He woke every 2 hours last night. We took him outside everytime and he did wee everytime so I think its his bladder thats causing him to wake. He settles back down very quickly. I definately agree with the play pen idea. I would feel more comfortable leaving him in one rather than just the crate. We have a conservatory coming off our bedroom so this would make an ideal room for him once we've got a source of heat in there other than the electric heater ( worried about him chewing the wire) Although it is quite bright in there so not sure how he would cope with the light.
Asleep by kickers1, on Flickr

Amarante

Post by Amarante » 15 Oct 2010, 17:15

Mica1971 wrote:
Dogs should always have access to clean drinking water, I wouldn't be taking any water away.

If you want to persevere with the crate then make two separate areas so if he has to wee in the night then he can without worrying he is wetting his bed.

Marley was never crated, he got so distressed by it that I never put him back in. Some dogs just don't like it....
I agree with this totally! xx
Dancin' DebsImage

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 15 Oct 2010, 18:49

Bruno hated his crate, so after two nights I sent it back. :oops:

I slept in the living room with his the first couple of nights when he was just in his bed on the floor, then he was fine being left on his own. :D
I think you just have to appreciate that they DO miss their mum and thier litter mates and NEED reassurance that all's well.

We had a problem of Bruno getting really overexcited when we came down and he was hurting the kids. :evil:
There were several ways around this, like timeout, or a play pen until he settled, but we went with bringing his bed upstairs to our bedroom and that's where it's stayed.

Now we do of course have the problem of a labradonkey sharing our bed, :roll: but he only wants a cuddle for 5 mins or so and settles down on the floor. He often goes downstairs in the middle of the night and sleeps the rest of the night by the front door. When he wakes about 7am, he comes up to give me a kiss :D

You'll find a balance that suits you and your family. You just need to give Oscar time to re-adjust.

Good luck, sorry to ramble, hope I've helped?
Claire
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Hel&Mark

Post by Hel&Mark » 15 Oct 2010, 19:38

Yeah, we took it in turns to sleep downstairs with Tilly. :lol: Barley sleeps on my legs, all 34 kilos of him, but he had to earn that honour by being sensible. :wink:
Check this is being adhered to before you buy your puppy:
http://labradoodle.org.uk/forum/viewtop ... =17&t=6560
http://www.labradoodletrust.com

Amarante

Post by Amarante » 15 Oct 2010, 20:06

Amarante wrote:
Mica1971 wrote:
Dogs should always have access to clean drinking water, I wouldn't be taking any water away.

If you want to persevere with the crate then make two separate areas so if he has to wee in the night then he can without worrying he is wetting his bed.

Marley was never crated, he got so distressed by it that I never put him back in. Some dogs just don't like it....
When I say I agree with this I want to clarify that the two separate areas means: One with newspaper for the toilet and the crate with the door open for the bed. Some puppies as young as 2 weeks old will move away from the sleeping area to wee or poo on the newspaper.

I have five dogs, although I have a crate to transport the puppies for car journeys none of them were put in one as puppies and they all have their own beds in our bedroom. However, they are not allowed on our bed (are you Summer! LOL She often sneaks through in the evening). xx
Dancin' DebsImage

clarejacksonuk

Post by clarejacksonuk » 15 Oct 2010, 21:07

Hi Neil and Gemma,

This is going to sound really heartless, but we got Dougal when he was only jut 6 weeks old and the breeder advised us to put him in his crate on the first night and to leave him regardless of how much he cried. Tthe crate was downstairs and we slept upstairs. He yelped and cried for about 30 mins on the first night, 10 mins on the second night and after that we did not hear him once he went to bed again. The only trouble we have experienced since at night was when he was about 3 years old and he started barking in the night. My husband used to get up and let him out, but it soon tunred into a game and he was doing things like running up to the backdoor and then off again whenever we tried to grab him. After about a week of this we stopped responding to his barking and he stoped doing it after he was ignored for a couple of nights. Dougal is now 5.5 years old, and is very good at night, but a bit of a handfull durng the day!. I would move the crate out of your bedroomand try ignoring her - difficult, but it will be worth it in the end.

Clare
dougal the labradoodle terror of aldenham school

whitsdoodle

Post by whitsdoodle » 15 Oct 2010, 21:59

Once again, thanks for the advice. We have ordered a pen and plan to have his crate with an open door inside the pen. He will also have his puppy training pad inside. He is so funny. Such a character, today he is in a different mood to yesterday. I am surprised at how attached I have become. Gemma practically begged me to have a puppy and now I am the one who is most protective of him. I'm glad Gemma is here otherwise I'd be asking questions on here every 5 minutes!

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Oct 2010, 22:04

I used a puppy pen with Poppy and was very pleased with it. I didn't use a crate, but had her bed, water, play area and puppy pad in there. Have you got the puppy pad frame? It is a pain to use I found, but did stop her shredding the pad :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

whitsdoodle

Post by whitsdoodle » 15 Oct 2010, 22:17

No havent got the frame. I wondered how i could stop him tearing it up. I'll find one on google! Thanks

Nicky

Post by Nicky » 15 Oct 2010, 23:26

Hi,

I remember this stage and I think for me it was the worst..

Dexter was never crate trained as he seemed to hate enclosed spaces so we cornered off an area in th kitchen with a room divider for toddlers, this ws his area and where he went at night.

It was so hard to ignore his whines he used to whine for 15 minutes then quiten down for the night, he did ths for 10 days then he was okay and he still sleeps in his area now at 16 months and it is a good routine for him.

Good luck it will work out, please post some pics of your little bundle:)

BinkyBear

Post by BinkyBear » 19 Oct 2010, 16:47

We got Binky at eight weeks and crated him from the start; he happily went in there as soon as he got home but he did cry when we left him. We'd spend a few minutes settling him e.g. letting him snuggle up to our hand through the crate bars :shock: or even letting him fall asleep in the living room. We'd take him outside for a wee before bed and pop him in the crate. He slept through the night from the first day apart from a couple of times so when he has whimpered at night we'd get up, not talk to him or even really acknowledge him, let him out for a wee and then back to his crate - all without talking to him. Sometimes he may need settling but again we did this by putting our hand between the bars and stroke him with no words or anything.

I must admit he never learnt from the 'leave him to cry' method so in the end we had to go downstairs and give him a firm 'No' - we did this three nights in a row and it worked; he occasionally whimpers but we know this is for a wee and not for attention as he whizzes out the door and then back to his snuggly crate.

They do get used to it...really...and it is worth persevering. Binky was AWFUL when we left him in the crate and he knew we were around and also when we went out - we'd come back to water all over the crate, chewed blankets, puppy pads were a no-no from the start as he would chew them. He even weed in his bed a couple of times - I felt dreadful. The best thing that ever happened was my return to work - I had to leave him and he had to get used to it; after a few weeks nothing was chewed and he greeted me calmly. What a relief so I promise it gets better.

Caroline, Stan & Binky
Caroline, Stan & Binky

Image Image

whitsdoodle

Post by whitsdoodle » 19 Oct 2010, 19:39

Thanks, we've been trying to leave him over the last few days. We have a kong that I put some chicken in. He is good for about 2 minutes until the chicken has gone and then he howls and barks all the time we're gone. We have gradually increased the time to 45 minutes. We need him to get used to it as we only have another week until we leave him to go to work. Gemma will be coming home every 3 hours until he is old enough for 4 hours. I hope he will improve in time because is such a horrible feeling knowing he is unhappy on his own.

Amarante

Post by Amarante » 19 Oct 2010, 22:44

whitsdoodle wrote:Thanks, we've been trying to leave him over the last few days. We have a kong that I put some chicken in. He is good for about 2 minutes until the chicken has gone and then he howls and barks all the time we're gone. We have gradually increased the time to 45 minutes. We need him to get used to it as we only have another week until we leave him to go to work. Gemma will be coming home every 3 hours until he is old enough for 4 hours. I hope he will improve in time because is such a horrible feeling knowing he is unhappy on his own.
There's no way my dogs would want to be in a cage for 3 hours :( Can't you make the kitchen secure and safe so he can move around? xx
Dancin' DebsImage

BinkyBear

Post by BinkyBear » 20 Oct 2010, 09:19

whitsdoodle wrote:Thanks, we've been trying to leave him over the last few days. We have a kong that I put some chicken in. He is good for about 2 minutes until the chicken has gone and then he howls and barks all the time we're gone. We have gradually increased the time to 45 minutes. We need him to get used to it as we only have another week until we leave him to go to work. Gemma will be coming home every 3 hours until he is old enough for 4 hours. I hope he will improve in time because is such a horrible feeling knowing he is unhappy on his own.
When we first got Binky I was planning on being at home for two-three months to help settle him, etc, etc. When I had to take a new work contract I felt sick at the thought of leaving him as he cried SOOOOOO much when left in his crate during the day. He was fine if he was pooped out from playing but once he woke or if we put him in there and say went into the garden he would howl, cry, scream like a stuck pig. It was awful and reduced me to tears; funny how he could be good at night but awful during the day. It was just his way though of saying "you've left me in here all alone but I know you're there; you're so mean so I'm going to cry". I'm afraid he did get a few more firm "No"s along the way and we did also try leaving him for longer and longer but in the end I just had to go to work. For four hours I was a wreck until I saw him again at lunchtime - he was generally okay. As I mentioned before he had chewed the blanket which covers the crate, the water had been sploshed around and he did look a little 'naffed off' but on the whole he survived. It was hard leaving him again after 45 minutes but again he was fine. They really do get used to it and I promise he will be okay. If I'm realistic it took about three weeks before he stopped chewing the cover blanket and now he just sleeps - that's what dogs do. Couple of tips: don't make a big fuss as he leaves the crate to great you. Don't go straight to him when you get home - open the back door, make a cup of tea, etc first. Do cover the crate but we left a little light on. Do leave his favourite toy in there - we read so many times you shouldn't leave toys with them, you shouldn't leave chews with them as he may choke blah, blah, blah but we felt it was worth the risk to stop him getting bored. Give him a treat when you close the crate door and just walk out the door. They get used to routine very quickly - Binky now knows he needs to get into his crate around 7.55 and he knows he needs to get into his crate around 12.55.

I also manage to squeeze in a ten minute walk at lunchtime which exercises him and I do a bit of training at lunchtime to get the brain going - it is hard leaving him for the afternoon as you instinctively feel that 45 minutes isn't enough time to give him but ultimately you have to work no choice about it. You are providing him with shelter, warmth, food, water and play - Oscar won't want for anything more. An example of how things can go pear-shaped is a lovely dog at the park we walk in - his owner works from home so is always there and Alfie sleeps at his feet but...he has appalling separation anxiety as he is used to his owner always being there and when he leaves him he howls the house down and gets himself into a real state :(

Anyway hope our experience helps you to see things will get better - promise :)

Caroline, Stan & Binky
Caroline, Stan & Binky

Image Image