Advice for journey home after collecting pup..

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
xxLouxx

Advice for journey home after collecting pup..

Post by xxLouxx » 29 Apr 2011, 19:00

Hi,
This may be a silly question but...
We are due to collect our pup on or around the 22nd of May (we are counting the days!). We have a 90minute car journey home. I wonder what your advice would be regarding making the journey as calm as possible for our puppy? Would you recommend a crate or box in the boot with lots of newspaper (although I don't feel this is very safe) or cuddling the pup in a blanket on my lap on the back seat?

kizzie whizz

Re: Advice for journey home after collecting pup..

Post by kizzie whizz » 29 Apr 2011, 19:34

I would cuddle on the first journey. Have a pile of old towels handy in case your puppy is sick. Don't give him his mummy blanket in case he is sick on that (guess how I know that)

Afterwards I would get him used to a crate in the car. If nothing else it does contain the vomit!
Wendy, Kizzie Whizz and Murphy
ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 29 Apr 2011, 19:49

We cuddled both ours - its quite a step for them being separated from their siblings and I think they need a bit of comfort !
We also stopped a couple of and gave them a little drink.
Good luck how exciting
Have you decided on a name yet ?
ImageImage

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 29 Apr 2011, 19:50

Senior moment you have picked a name 'Ozzy' sorry
ImageImage

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 29 Apr 2011, 20:33

Definitely cuddle! make sure you have a plastic sheet of some sort, under whatever blanket (but not the one from Mum, you need that for first few nights, with her reassuring smell) you put him on, on your lap, just in case of accidents. Hopefully he will have been fed and want to sleep... Good luck :D

Leah

Post by Leah » 29 Apr 2011, 21:18

I would definitely cuddle him on your lap - he'll need all the reassurance he can get on his first journey away from his mum. I'd sit him on a blanket or old towel on your lap in case of accidents.

We live in Edinburgh and Monty's breeder lives 20 mins away but he still cried all the way home poor boy! Hopefully Ozzy will be braver! (by the way, we know 2 choc doodles called Ozzy!!)

Bet you can't wait to collect him and May is the perfect month to have a new puppy - lots of time out in the garden.

Leah

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 29 Apr 2011, 21:33

Yes, cuddle him, it will reassure him and be your first chance to start bonding. I think a lot of pups have only been in the car once or twice, to go to the vets! If their trip to their new home is also traumatic then they can start to get car phobic. So make this journey a pleasant experience with cuddles and reassurance, and a couple of stops somewhere off the main road.

You must be so excited at the thought of getting him home!
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

john ford

Post by john ford » 29 Apr 2011, 21:43

we also held our dog we had a old towel and a toy to take hes mind off the journey we also had wet wipes and kithen towel and plastic bay in case he was sick he was fine no problem good luck with ur new pup bet u cant wait

Nimitor

Post by Nimitor » 29 Apr 2011, 22:09

I cuddled Wes and it was only an half hour journey! Wish I hadn't cuddled him in his mummy smelling blanket though coz he was sick on it..I still gave it to him the first night though x

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 29 Apr 2011, 23:17

I cuddled both of ours all the way home and loved every minute of it! I talked to them and stroked them, it's a great time to start the bonding process :D :D

Enjoy!!

Glenda
ImageImage

ImageImage

looking4alabradoodle

Post by looking4alabradoodle » 30 Apr 2011, 02:30

Dreading the same Lou.

45 min drive from the ferry

2 hours 10 mins on the ferry home

1.5 hour drive home

:(

I hope Winnie is zonked by the time we get home cause I will be over the stress of it all. Heading over on the 14th to get her!

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 30 Apr 2011, 08:23

CUDDLE :D :D :D
Good advice about old towels, newspaper etc. in case of 'little accidents'.
Pampers Baby Changing mats are good.
We were lucky, only a 30 min drive and no upsets.
I was also lucky because I had made several visits beforehand and so we knew each other quite well.

Ann & Ben

ImageImage

Tracycooper15

Post by Tracycooper15 » 30 Apr 2011, 09:04

I picked up Marmite at 7 weeks on my own. I put her in the cat box with towels and strapped the box in using the pasenger seatbelt. It was only an hour journey but seemed much much longer. Poor pup was being sick all the way and crying. I would never do a puppy collection on my own again and would cuddle the pup surrounded by towels and wet wipes! Good luck

JudeinPlymouth

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 30 Apr 2011, 10:45

We had a three hour drive and our breeder gave us plenty of advice, most of which you've already been given, but would just add - take more towels than you think you'll need. I ended up using my scarf, and then catching sick in my hands.....!!! And secondly, quite importantly, keep the car as cool as you can and if possible cuddle Ozzy on the seat next to you so he doesn't overheat.

Am very jealous... Fletcher is only 8 months old and I'm desperate for another one! :D
ImageImage

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 30 Apr 2011, 17:13

Lots of good advice! Thanks so much. Yes 'Ozzy' seems a very popular name for an Australian Labradoodle :lol: Tried to convince my sons to choose something else but Ozzy it HAS to be :roll:
Yes we cant wait...My youngest son and I went out shopping all day for 'Ozzy' associated items! Came back with his bed, comfort cushion, ceramic bowls, mat, collar and lead and lots of toys! Still Puppy Kong to get and puppy treats. Had a great day!
feel for you 'lookingforalabradoodle' with such a long journey ahead but Winnie may be fine! How are you getting on with your 'to get list'??