Advice for journey home after collecting pup..

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
We heart Daisy!

Re: Advice for journey home after collecting pup..

Post by We heart Daisy! » 30 Apr 2011, 19:02

Oh Lou, you lucky thing! Good times ahead!
Daisy is only just 5 months now and I remember her jouney home (1 hour-ish) so well :shock:
She's our first dog and even though the breeder warned us that she may be sick, we were really concerned when she actually was :( SO DON'T WORRY!
I sat in the back with Daisy, put a puppy pad on my knee and wrapped her in a towel to keep her cozy, (reminded me of taking my boys home for the first time) :lol:
Take plenty of kitchen roll too!
Good luck!

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 30 Apr 2011, 19:25

Probably about the same time for us..loch lomond to Lanark! Will start getting my supplies in.. :D Cant WAIT to collect Ozzy :D and yes it's like preparing for the arrival of one of our sons!! :lol: .. Daisy is so gorgeous. May see you at one of the doodle meets once Ozzy is old enough!
x

looking4alabradoodle

Post by looking4alabradoodle » 01 May 2011, 12:40

Hi Lou,

Getting there with the list. Restraining myself from going mad on buying stuff.

Since we talked last got a

flexi lead

Crate - http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_ ... ates/46459

Puppy Kong

mini football thing

clicker for training

Small nylabone (concentrating on the chew stuff so she doesnt wreck the house!)

Kong monkey chew toy that also cleans teeth

I think we are all set. Ferry is booked and we are actually going over on the Saturday morning and back on the evening ferry to keep costs don of staying somewhere. Looking forward to it now only 2 weeks away.

The hard work is about to start!!!

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 01 May 2011, 15:58

Hi Brian
Sounds as though you are pretty much organised! Went shopping with my youngest son yesterday and picked up a few more items. So far we have:

-Crate (loan from a friend)
-Bed and soft fleece cushion insert
-small nylon collar and lead
-two ceramic bowls (had read that plastic/metal ones discolour their noses?!?)
-doggy vet bed
-doggy blankets x2
-kong
-rubber dental bone for chewing
-small rubber chew balls
-2 squeeky toys
-soft dog toys
-chewy rope

still to get...
-Oscars puppy dog food
-clicker
-training snacks
-dog name tag
-shampoo
-grooming brush
-disinfectant spray for accidents!

Have spent a fortune so far and still loads to get!!

Keep me posted with how Winnie is doing. Have you had any more pics from Jackie? Still cant believe we are getting pup from same breeder.

Hope the journey goes ok for all of you.
Lou

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 02 May 2011, 20:26

You've already had lots of good advice, we too cuddled Bella all the way home on the back seat (1 hour) and let her move on the back seat and look out of the window if she wanted to. No problem, no sick, no accidents - fab :D :D Just wanted to add that after that we took her out every day in the car, even if just for 10 minutes as we wanted her to get used to it and not always think it meant she was going somewhere. We've been lucky, she's now really good in the car, the first dog we've ever had that doesn't bark and whine all the time. We've got an estate car and sometimes we forget she's in the boot :D :D :D
Jean & Bella xxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 May 2011, 20:35

My cunning plan is to make sure you have a lots of questions to ask the breeder, and while you are doing that play with your puppy on the ground, so that by the time you are ready to leave he is ready for a nap! Then hopefully you will have a sleepy puppy to cuddle on the way home :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 02 May 2011, 22:24

Hi

We picked up our miniature labradoodle (Lara) 3 weeks ago now, when she was 9 weeks. Had a 3 hour car journey and she whined and was sick at least 4 times!! She really hates any car journey now, so good luck. :(

As most other people have said, take plenty of towels, wet wipes kitchen roll etc, wear old clothes (I was covered in dog sick as was the car) and enjoy getting to know your Ozzy ideally on your lap.

Also take some water for him to drink as if he is being sick he may get dehydrated.

Enjoy - and make the most of the first few weeks. Take plenty of pictures as they grow so quickly. Lara is basically twice the size she was when we got her. We are now doing a height chart on the wall.

Look forward to your updates. :D
Alison & Lara

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 02 May 2011, 22:57

Great advice everyone. Many thanks for taking the time to add your top tips! Have taken them all on board and stocking up on the essentials for the car journey :shock: . After reading your replies regarding car sickness etc, We are trying to convince our two sons (aged 10 and 6) to stay at home while we go and collect Ozzy so I can sit with him on his own in the back but its proving difficult (they are so excited!) :D .
What height is Lara now, 'Lara's mum' ?
Thanks again
Lou x

groover

Post by groover » 03 May 2011, 02:49

Oh My

I remember how excited i was when I went to pick up Herbie from Tora. Only about an Hour from Glasgow, but you'd be amazed just how much vomit can escape a small puppy.

I can't stress how important kitchen roll is (plus a bag to put the soiled stuff in).

PS don't make the same mistake I did and bring the puppy straight into the house. A visit to the garden to have a wee would have been much better than the visit he paid the minute i put him down on the living room floor :lol:

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

groover

Post by groover » 03 May 2011, 19:55

your picture reminds me sooooo much of my Wild Thing as a puppy

LOOK

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 04 May 2011, 17:59

xxLouxx wrote: We are trying to convince our two sons (aged 10 and 6) to stay at home while we go and collect Ozzy so I can sit with him on his own in the back but its proving difficult (they are so excited!) :D .
:lol: :lol: :lol: I rate your chances of that at ZERO :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jean & Bella xxx

xxLouxx

Post by xxLouxx » 08 May 2011, 10:07

Yep, you're correct JeanG....boys coming with us :lol: :lol: