Florrie Update

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Florrie!

Florrie Update

Post by Florrie! » 07 May 2011, 21:40

As so many of you have shown an interest in how Florrie's doing I thought I'd give you an update on her progress.

She saw the vet this morning and had her eyes checked to rule out sight problems. The vet said that her eyes responded in the ways that they should, but that her brain may not be processing visual information properly and that could explain why she appears to not always be able to see properly. Basically the vet said that there's not really a way of determining this for sure and so we just need to work with her behaviourists on her anxiety issues and treat her very much as a unique case.

She saw her behaviourists this afternoon and they were really pleased with her progress that she's made over this past month. She's much more chilled out at home than she was before and she's gradually getting better when out on walks, although walks are still a big problem for her. Whilst they were here they went on a walk with us so they can help us with techniques for dealing with Florrie when she shows signs of stress. The behaviourists decided she was now finally ready to go off her lead today for the first time ever and I was so happy with how responsive she was. It was amazing! We will definately be practising this one every week as she's so worn out she has slept all afternoon! :lol:

She still has a very long way to go, but she is starting to now make progress and it's going to be a long journey to get her to a place where she's more settled and relaxed, but I'm much more optimistic after the comments and feedback that the behaviourists gave me today. :D

Florrie Lorrie

Amarante

Re: Florrie Update

Post by Amarante » 07 May 2011, 21:55

Thanks for the update and glad things are going in the right direction. Have you tried or heard about T Touch (Tellington Touch)? I wonder if this might help her.
xx
Dancin' DebsImage

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 07 May 2011, 23:42

That is wonderful news, and just the encouragement you need to keep going with this. She's a beautiful girl and it will be lovely when she can be relaxed and happy.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Clare

Post by Clare » 08 May 2011, 14:39

That's really good news.

Clare and Pebbles

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 08 May 2011, 15:41

Thanks for your comments everybody.

The behaviourists also told me not to get Florrie groomed even though she's long overdue as this is a HUGE source of stress for her. I can't even brush her, she's that bad. I've got to desensitise her gradually over a period of 2 or 3 months maybe more. They said to just bath her when neccessary as she isn't too bad in the bath as she loves water. This is the reason why she looks so scruffy at the moment. She's got quite alot of matts in her hair too, but the behaviourists said not to worry too much about them and just cut off the ones I can as far as Florrie will tolerate me doing this. I hate the fact that she looks like I don't brush her and look after her properly. Someone in the vets yesterday actually asked me if she's in need of having her hair cut! I felt so embarrased and I did explain the reasons to her, but she still looked disapprovingly at Florrie.
I took her out again today with my Dad and we let go of the long line like we did with the behaviourists and she was so good and stuck so near to us, it was brilliant!
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 09 May 2011, 01:15

That is really good news. As for.the women at the vets rather than explaining to her or others just say oh we have just come from De Groomed Naturell its has taken a long time to achieve this look. :D

Your little lady is beautiful forget the lady in the vets. I am sure she would not be so quick to judge if the boot was on her paws.

groover

Post by groover » 09 May 2011, 01:30

I'm so pleased to hear things are looking brighter

getting some positive feedback can make all the difference.

It's such a worry when your dog has a problem and you don't know how to help it. Just being pointed in the right direction can make the whole thing seem much easier to cope with

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog