Poppy's agility worries

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Bid

Poppy's agility worries

Post by Bid » 08 May 2011, 20:57

Today was the second time that Poppy has been unhappy at agility. I think the problem is the mole scarers. There are 4 solar powered scarers positioned around the arena, and every now and then they let out a high pitched prolonged beep. I think that to a dogs ears it must be louder than to us. Poppy got scared of one corner or the course today, and was reluctant to do anything there, but once we got to the opposite end she was fine. She doesn't know where the noise comes from, and I think she blamed a yellow jump and the dog walk :( . (she does jump to conclusions - she once blamed her ball for an electric shock because she was carrying it when she ran into the sheep fence :roll: )

She was fine on Wednesday, but it was overcast then so maybe they weren't beeping.

I asked if they could be removed when the agility is in progress, but it seems they are not very mobile, and when moved for mowing they had to be re-soldered, so that isn't a practical option.

Has anyone any ideas how I can make her OK about them? They only beep from time to time which doesn't help.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Leah

Re: Poppy's agility worries

Post by Leah » 08 May 2011, 21:55

Out neighbour has installed a similar device for scaring the cats who were using her flower beds as a toilet. It is the most infuriating thing ever as every time we (or the dog) walk about at one end of the garden it lets out a really high pitched screech - it's driving me CRAZY!!
Monty barked at it the first few times and was told off by me so doesn't bark but often just goes back indoors. I think it must be painful for their ears.
The only thing I can think of is to play her a recording of the sound, starting quietly at first, until she learns to ignore it? Would drive you mad mind you!

Leah

Banana-dog

Post by Banana-dog » 09 May 2011, 08:30

Leah's suggestion of recording the sound is an excellent one. Play it randomly at training, at home, at the park etc, rewarding any ignorance of it.

Regarding her not wanting to go near the obstacles, try replacing the yellow jump with another one and see how she is with that? And try asking her to go over the yellow jump somewhere else on the course. Same with the A-frame although obviously that's a bit harder to move around!

Good luck!
- Morgane & Eska

"Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole."
... Only joking, Eska's my whole life.

annvinton

Post by annvinton » 09 May 2011, 09:02

This may sound stupid :D :D but if they are too hard to move could they be covered over while the class takes place???
Some really thick material to block out the light??

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 May 2011, 11:22

THanks for your ideas - I'll see what we can do next session.

Ann - there are cones placed by them so that people don't trip, I might see if they will go over them instead!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

groover

Post by groover » 09 May 2011, 12:12

I was going to suggest covering them to Bid

Hope poor poppy gets over her scare soon. Its a shame she's being put off her agility :(

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog