Very Lively Still!

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Mindy

Very Lively Still!

Post by Mindy » 24 May 2011, 13:04

Hello there

Harvey turned 1 year on the 11th May. I love him to bits and love having him around. But he does still get a tad over excited at times (first thing in the morning, when DH gets home from work, when people come round etc etc). Now I know this is "normal" to get excited but it is quite hard to calm him down sometimes once he's in the "Doodle Zone"..................

I just wondered if anyone has any advice and if I shoud just ignore it? At what age will he start to calm down?? He's a cross between a female labrador and a toy poodle.
Thank you!
:D

Harvey Doodlebug

dwood

Re: Very Lively Still!

Post by dwood » 24 May 2011, 13:58

All doodles are a bundle of fun. Sometimes hard to cope with but easily forgiven. Our Labradoodle has been the hardest dog I've had to train. Mainly due to her excitability and friendliness. All the obvious rules apply. Ignore and turn your back on any silly behaviour. I refused to even acknowledge Phoebe when I come in the door for about ten mins. Then it's on my terms. We have found she has been much better since hitting her 3rd birthday. Not a consolation for you but some hope. Distraction with a toy and food always work. Good luck!
Dorothy and Maisie

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 24 May 2011, 14:09

I do know what you mean ! Briar has just turned a year old and gets very excitable when people come round (and at times when its just me and OH there too !). We do our utmost to ignore the bad behaviour and try to distract her in other ways, like has been suggested.

They are doodles after all and I'm sure she'll quieten down (if even a little) over time, there's always hope anyway :lol:
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

john ford

Post by john ford » 24 May 2011, 15:27

my dexter is 1 next week and he is being very nauty at moment dont come when i call him runnin to every dog in sight even nasty ones.Iwoke up yhis mornin and my elbo was painfull i think its cause dexter keeps pulling and when he as hes mad time runnin threw the long grass he heads straight for me im am gettin very panicy over it i just hope he calms down a bit i know he just wants to play but it is hard work at moment.

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 24 May 2011, 15:50

Hang in there!
I think one is still very young .... a mere pup.

At 3yrs my girl is finally sitting politely at the door for 95% of people who knock.

Have been told if they are very excitable sometimes putting their lead on until they settle can help ...well at least you can catch them more easily :roll:

Poll J

Post by Poll J » 24 May 2011, 16:25

We've tried pretty much everything suggested in books and on this site, and Douglas still goes barmy when the knocker goes, tears around and jumps up at people. The trouble is, we put him away until he calms down. Or we put him on a lead. But as soon as he's released he goes bonkers again. He'll be 2 in September. Looks like we've got at least another year before he properly calms down.

karenmog

Post by karenmog » 24 May 2011, 17:56

Rosie is much the same. She is so excited, even in the morning when she has slept in our room all night.

I have tried all the strategies but have found some days she is worse than others.

Although sometimes, if I'm completely honest, I love the fact that shes so happy to see me.... and other people!!!!

Mindy

Post by Mindy » 24 May 2011, 18:02

Thank you all for your replies - it is really good and comforting to hear that Harvey's behaviour is perfectly normal for his age - I love the fact he get's excited to see us in the morning and I'd be a bit disappointed if he wasn't! When he has his "mad moments" it can drive me mad but at the same time I do find it very funny when he's racing around the garden like a greyhound.

But..............I could do without the tea towel, shoes, socks etc being stolen every five minutes......... :roll: :roll:

Harvey Doodlebug

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 24 May 2011, 20:53

Oh no-it looks like we've got another 2 years before they stop bouncing, well, bouncing as much :lol:
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Olliedoodle

Post by Olliedoodle » 25 May 2011, 08:57

Ollie has just turned 2 and he is still mad as a hatter, so a typical dood then!

I have to admit he has calmed down a little bit, but when he is awake he is pinging washing off the line, counter surfing etc. His personal favourite way to get us off the sofa is to steal a book off the book shelf and run around with it (it is usually The Perfect Puppy - yeah right!). If we ignore him for too long he will then try and rip it. He is far too bright for his own good!

So hang in there and after other people's replies I am now looking forward to him being 3!

Lucy
x
Ollie

Check out Ollie's blog: http://olliedoodle-antics.blogspot.com/

JeanG

Post by JeanG » 25 May 2011, 10:46

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I was hoping to read some encouraging news on thie thread! Silly me!!!!

Bella is 11 months and mad as a hatter! :roll: :roll:

However, i have a solution! It may only work for her though! She hates hi-viz and will cower from it. I thought I could put a notice up in our park - wear hi-viz and my dog won't jump all over you! Think it'll work???
Jean & Bella xxx

groover

Post by groover » 26 May 2011, 01:59

3 is definitely the magic number

Herbie was as mad as a box of frogs and can still be a bit giddy at times. However since his third birthday He has been called Herbie more often than his alternative name "wild thing" which was well deserved during the first few years of his life.

Actually at times I feel he's turning into a bit of a "mild thing" :shock: . Then again, maybe I'm just used to his weird little ways :lol: :lol:

xxx

in a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog

lesbevis

Post by lesbevis » 26 May 2011, 18:45

There seems to be lots of doodles around about a year old on this forum dont you think?,and only two more years before my daisy calms down,bet it will fly past,would'nt change a thing.