Toilet training advise needed please

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Santa Buddie

Toilet training advise needed please

Post by Santa Buddie » 01 Jan 2013, 17:56

Hi, my two boys are nearly 9 weeks and I am amazed at how clever doodles are. They are already responding really well to the whistle and sit, but I am having difficulties with toileting outside. They go all night holding it then go straight out side in the morning. This is great, but we can spend an hour in the garden then they come inside and pee!!! :roll: I have read that this should be ignored, which is what I am currently doing...Is this correct or does anyone else have any good advise. Many thanks

Bid

Re: Toilet training advise needed please

Post by Bid » 01 Jan 2013, 18:38

Have you got a word to associate with having a pee? Once they get to know the word, and get a reward for performing then I found that the hour outside waiting can be quickly reduced. Everytime Beamish had a wee outside I was there going "Good Hurry Ups Beamie, good boy" and feeding him a treat - he was a greedy pup and soon caught on :lol: I also said "Garden" each time we went out there, so in a fairly short time we progressed to "Garden for hurry ups" .
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 01 Jan 2013, 19:31

Marley's words are quick quick for a wee and toilet time for a poo. As bid says, they catch on quick and now Marls does it on command. I used those words from the day he came home x

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 01 Jan 2013, 19:41

I agree need to have words for wee and poo or just have wee and poo. Pups will catch on quickly. You only have to worry about the neighbours hearing you when you are calling out in a high pitched voice- 'wee wee' and 'poo poo' in the middle of the night!!! :lol: :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 01 Jan 2013, 21:29

hockborn wrote: You only have to worry about the neighbours hearing you when you are calling out in a high pitched voice- 'wee wee' and 'poo poo' in the middle of the night!!! :lol: :lol:
Or singing ---- "Daisy Daisy when are you going to poo, I'm half crazy waiting out here for you" :roll: :oops: :oops: My neighbours must have thought I was cracking up! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 01 Jan 2013, 21:38

Love it!!!! :lol: :lol:

Maisy12

Post by Maisy12 » 02 Jan 2013, 15:46

Hey! aw sure it won't be long now before they're fully toilet trained, doing so well so far to not wee in the night! Maisy was 4months before she was fully toilet trained! We used the pads in the house for during the night and if we went out but when we were in we would go into the garden and if she did do a wee/poo somewhere in the garden we would praise her and give her a treat. We used the words "busy busy" and whenever she did "busy busy" she'd get a treat, so around 4 months she would go to the garden door and look at us or she would bark and go outside. It'll probably take time. Also now she's 1 sometimes she'll go to the door as she knows she needs a wee but she may go outside and start sniffing around instead of doing a wee, so what i do is open the door throw the tennis ball and as she goes to get it she does a wee! lol. I also say busy busy still and praise her. Just keep up the routine :)
ImageImage
Claire & Maisy

julieju

Post by julieju » 02 Jan 2013, 17:03

Urrrgghhh, toilet training!! What a nightmare! I thought Aero would never get there - I reckon he was about 5 months before we were completely accident free. He was very fond of poo-ing in my son's bedroom :roll: .

We would also do the hanging around outside for ages, then he would come back inside and promptly do a wee! Our dog trainer told me that puppies will toilet where they feel comfortable and secure, which makes sense I guess.

I have also read that you should just ignore accidents rather than telling them off. I always ignored it... but I made sure he was shut out of the room whilst I cleaned up because I was worried that the 'water, paper towels, brush, bucket' process was all jolly good fun for young Aero and I didn't want him to associate wee-ing on the carpet with a game!

Good luck, you will get there, they are still teeny tiny and doing so well in other ways :D

xx
Julie and Aero xx

Sandra I

Post by Sandra I » 02 Jan 2013, 18:36

Hi, Flo is also doing well with her toilet training. We tell her to go pee and she was doing it almost every time until she realised that if she went to the top of the stairs (our house is split level & she cant get down the stairs herself yet!) and cries we would take her out. She now does this so that she can practise her doodle dash around the garden with no intention of peeing! Although you can usually persuade her to do one if you keep saying go pee. She always cries to get out if she needs a poo though, although we havent a comand for that, it just seems to go along with go pee.
Good luck with it..just have to stay consistant I think xx
Sandra

Santa Buddie

Post by Santa Buddie » 08 Jan 2013, 21:24

Thank you all so much for your advice. I will keep on with praising weeks and poos outside and ignore the accidents inside. :D