Bowmore's biting - help?

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Sw2807

Bowmore's biting - help?

Post by Sw2807 » 28 Jan 2013, 20:59

Hi all

Bowmore is 5 and a half months old. Most of the time he is a great puppy. However every night we have what I can only describe as devil puppy. Around 7.30/8 pm as my and my boyfriend try to settle down for the evening he decides it is time to try to eat us. It doesn't seem aggressive but he becomes very excited and manic. It usually starts with pawing and nibbling at our hands or feet then when we try to stop that by saying 'ouch' or turning away from him he starts barking then lunges at us and really nips..hard. Anything we say seems to just excite him more.

I've read a few similar threads on here and 'time out' is mentioned as a possible solution. We use a crate at night and when we leave him alone in the house but I do not want to use the crate as any form of punishment?

He is generally very excitable and confident. We go to puppy school and do a bit of training at home each day too.

We have had him since he was 10 weeks old and he came from a very reputable local breeder.
I guess I just want to know if this is normal, will be go through it and does anyone have any suggestions to stop it!! He is teething at present and we are giving him frozen carrots and t shirts which help but he will still end up jumping and biting at us.

Thanks, and sorry for such a long post!!
Sarah.

hockborn

Re: Bowmore's biting - help?

Post by hockborn » 28 Jan 2013, 21:15

Evil timing is in a doodle nature Im afraid!!! Just as you want to switch off he wants to switch on!! You could try one of two things. Have a bottle of 'Get off spray' handy and just before you sit down on the sofa give yourself and your fella a quick spray on yourselves(not on the dog!! :lol: ). He should not go anywhere near you but may perform the infamous doodle dash!! The other is as you wind down you will need to wind him down too. If he goes of like clockwork you have the trigger. before you relax you may have to clamly bring him into the lounge, sit on the floor with him and get him to lay down then stoke with long gentle strokes so that he is more relaxed then sit up on the sofa. he should then see this as more rewarding!! I'm afraid your annoyance at what is happenening is part of the game!!! Other, more experienced members may have more sound advice to give you.

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 28 Jan 2013, 22:17

Sounds like he is getting a bit hyper. Have you changed his food recently or given him any different snacks? Some additives in food can affect their temperament.

If you use time out you don't have to put him in his crate, just use another room, but only do it for a few minutes. Hopefully he will learn that you will not play if he bites.

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 28 Jan 2013, 22:21

Just another thought, maybe he is just objecting to you sitting down to watch the telly!!! :lol:

Sw2807

Post by Sw2807 » 28 Jan 2013, 22:25

We have had a slightly calmer evening tonight. Yes I think it is him objecting to us sitting down. But we have usually spent a good couple of hours playing with him before we try to settle down... Might try time out when he gets really hyper. No change to his food or treats. He is fed on puppy nature diet and burns mini bites.

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 28 Jan 2013, 22:29

failing my suggestions it could be time for a worldwide Dood favourite. Stag Antlers!!!!!! if you can cope with the knawing sounds for the next few hours!!!! Just saw your last post. Sound bizzare I know but you could be overplaying with him so if they get overexcited, stimulated or just tired they will react in a boisterous way and will be difficult to calm down or get out of the Zone. A quick evening walk may help?

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 28 Jan 2013, 23:01

No help with the nipping, but Charlie used to come back from doggy daycare, crash like road kill on his bed, and invariably wake up at about 8pm for play time for 20 mins or so. He still sometimes does this at 18 months, normally when hubby is trying to read. Or we start to watch something on the box and Charlie brings his noisiest toy out and tries to distract us. Attention seeking!

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 28 Jan 2013, 23:17

Lulu comes in from her walk and falls asleep and then when I am relaxing wakes up. She does try to paw me but I don't take too much notice (but she is gorgeous and sometimes naughty me, training goes out the window). When she is asleep a bit later, I wake her up to play - it isn't hard, she always wants to play!! It stops her going mad around 9.30!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 28 Jan 2013, 23:39

PS Lulu was also a nipper - she seems to have stopped now. When she does touch my skin I would shout ouch very very loud. Then totally ignore her. Not sure if it works but she isn't nippy any more - at the moment anyway! :)
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 29 Jan 2013, 01:19

I wonder if he's having an energy spurt? At that time of night as you're settling down maybe he wants to burn off some energy? Try giving him a bit more of a run around in the day time.

As for the nipping, I wouldn't stand for that. When he nips I would squeal LOUD, hold your hand or your arm with your other as if it was limp, pull a sad face, start to whine sadly and if you wanted to act that far, lick your hand. Then offer it to him so that he can "apologise" and give you a sympathy lick. Then say good boy, here go play with whatever toy is near to hand.

Redirect that energy to something else so he knows that you are not there as his play things to order around! If he continues to be mental and bounce off you etc you can put him in a time out.

Bid

Post by Bid » 29 Jan 2013, 01:26

It sounds like over-tired and over-excited puppy tantrums to me :lol: . Maybe a 5 minute time-out in another room, followed by a kong in bed might help him to settle. I keep a supply of kongs stuffed with goats yoghurt in the freezer for just such emergencies! (Beamish has just had one to settle him down - he is 22 months and still a big baby :lol: :lol: )
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sw2807

Post by Sw2807 » 29 Jan 2013, 07:46

Some great suggestions thanks. We do try to yelp etc when he nips - sometimes it works but sometimes it seems to just excite him more. I think Bid might be right - over tired and over excited tantrums like a young child!! We are trying to remain very calm but very firm and redirecting to his toys and chews. If he stays hyper we will try putting him in the kitchen for 5 mins to see if he calms down. I'll let you know how we get on!

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 29 Jan 2013, 08:48

Sw2807 wrote:Some great suggestions thanks. We do try to yelp etc when he nips - sometimes it works but sometimes it seems to just excite him more.
Well yes, you have to be careful - you know what dogs and squeaky toys are like! You have to make it sound like you're in pain, not squeaking! :lol:

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 29 Jan 2013, 11:32

Both my doodles went through this stage and around the same time each evening but distraction with toys and firm consistent human behaviour (time outs, yelps firm 'NO's' etc) really helped
You are also approaching teething time and there is always a lot of mouthing - gnawing so stag bars are a must
It is a stage (happens again about 7-9 months too) :lol:
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Sandra I

Post by Sandra I » 29 Jan 2013, 19:06

The trainer at our puppy class told us to stand with feet together, arms folded & ignore her when jumping or nipping. It is amazing, she just goes & does something else (most of the time)
x
Sandra