Gluttonous Beast

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Teamcov

Gluttonous Beast

Post by Teamcov » 03 Apr 2014, 20:30

Hello everyone,

I have a very greedy teenager on my hands. His name is Hercules and he's just coming up for 7 months. In the last 3 weeks we've had to get his stomach cut open to retrieve another dogs ball he swallowed whole!!! and then whilst in recovery he swallowed a bunch of grapes (stalks and all) and had to go back to the vets to make him vomit. Yesterday he tried to eat a dead pigeon and then some fungus off a tree!! Does this dog have a death wish or what!!

The vets suggested I muzzle him but I'm really going to try and work harder at the of command so if he does get something in his mouth, he will let it go (ha!). He pretty much lives for Fetch so I don't want to stop him from doing this. Anyway...back to the greed.

He seems ravenous all the time. The grape incident happened minutes after his food. And even tonight after having a big old dinner he was mooching around for more things to eat. He's currently on 2 meals a day with treats for training and it is the recommended amount. He's in good body shape. He was even greedy when I was doing 3 meals a day. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do? Is this a puppyhood thing? I'm not sure why but greed drives me bananas.

Any help would be gratefully received!

Jude & Hercules

briansangel

Re: Gluttonous Beast

Post by briansangel » 03 Apr 2014, 21:00

I have the opposite problem a faddy girl who wont eat anything more than once lol xxx
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Apr 2014, 21:14

Maybe feeding him one of his meals in a kong would make it last a bit longer which may help. Going back to 3 meals may also stop him feeling hungry.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 03 Apr 2014, 21:40

Healthy treats like raw carrots, broccoli, apple and filled kongs with frozen filings like mashed banana, peanut butter etc
Make him work for his food by scattering kibble in the garden so he has to search for it all or one if those dishes with lumps and bumps to slow him eating.
I know how he feels - I'm following weightwatchers!!!
ImageImage
ImageImage

bevjjones

Post by bevjjones » 04 Apr 2014, 07:45

Hi, Lucky was ALWAYS starving and would have eaten all day if I had allowed it!
Even al almost 2 we had to feed him 3 meals a day otherwise he'd never have lasted until teatime he'd have chewed his own leg off!!
I guess some of them are just greedy! :lol:
ImageImage

ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 04 Apr 2014, 08:35

Yep- I have one of those. She doesn't pinch things that aren't edible to eat or steal but she begs all the time and she is mad about food.
I had zero tolerance of counter surfing and never leave food where she can get it. I taught a good leave but we do still have arguments about dead things sometimes. I taught her not to take a treat or eat her dinner until she's looked at me or I say "ok" so she doesn't think she can help herself and snaffle stuff.
Also "off" meaning "get your nose away from me/that" has been fab (see the trust site training tips) and "mine" meaning a thing they can never have. (Offer a treat but say "uh uh- mine!" and give a treat from the other hand to train) All these things have really helped her to have manners around food and plates.
I feed her three times a day and have swapped to natures diet as the small amount you give of the good quality kibble just wasn't filling her up and she would often vomit bile even though it was the right amount. She has two trays a day and a bit of kibble which leaves room for treats as she could have three.(27kg).
She is much happier on this and begs but is not frantic and uncomfortable any more. Xx
Edit to add I used to grate (assuming they don't process cellulose well so this breaks it down) carrot or parsnip or apple in with her dinner to bulk it out for not many calories when she was a pup and really frantic. She loves bananas too which are filling. I know some say they don't need veg but it did help her to feel full and I don't think it does any harm- they just don't need it for nutrients like we do.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Teamcov

Post by Teamcov » 04 Apr 2014, 12:35

Ah thanks everyone...that's very helpful advice. Maybe getting him back to 3 meals will work...if i do lunch as a kong so he has to work and won't expect a bowl. I've been giving him nice healthy snacks too...he loves broccoli! Good tip with the 'mine' command too...he's not such a mooch when we're eating (thank goodness) but as soon as we're done he's in like a shot and becomes a K9 vacuum.

I've also been really thinking about whether the food is not helping, but it's like a minefield. He was on Happy dog food and now I've shifted him over to royal canin neutered ... we'll see.

I am just dreading summertime and picnics in the park....noooooooo!

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 04 Apr 2014, 13:34

Royal Canin and similar have bulking ingredients that are carbohydrates, like wheat and maize, and can make some dogs feel hungry, as they need a better, meat full food.

I have a hunch that giving him something like Orijen or any of the other cheaper proper meat-based kibbles (loads around now) would help a great deal. His stomach acid may be strong and need food in it...

Look on here to find what your present food has in it and compare to others:

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

And read this - Daily Mail I'm afraid but gives a good idea!:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ghurt.html
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 04 Apr 2014, 19:08

Would it helpif you soaked one of the kibble meals in some water? That way it might feel more filling?

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 04 Apr 2014, 19:47

Has he been wormed?

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Apr 2014, 20:19

Hi,
I'm not an expert on nutrition (or anything else for that matter) so feel free to shoot me down in flames...
I was wondering if there is, perhaps, something missing in Herc's diet? This is unscientifically based on the fact that:
a) pregnant women tend to crave weird food (coal, etc) and,
b) when there's no chocolate in the house, I'll eat all sorts of cr*p... none of which works until I put my coat on and go buy some.
The two examples are not in any way connected...
Just a thought.
Please try not to feel annoyed at him - though I know it's hard 'cos I feel the same about my OH scoffing 3 posh chocolates in rapid succession instead of savouring them... At least your doodle can't help it! :D
Anne & Ianto x

lamby

Post by lamby » 04 Apr 2014, 22:17

I've got a 7 month old snaffler too! I've just reduced him to two meals a day, and he's gone crazy, counter surfing, and just generally nicking stuff!! I wasn't sure how much was greed, how much was teenager behaviour and how much was actual real hunger!!! So tricky isn't it! He stole a metal tape measure though yesterday, so I can't put it all down to hunger ... :roll:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Apr 2014, 23:11

lamby wrote:He stole a metal tape measure though yesterday
lamby,
Obviously, he just needed to see how long it was until his next meal... :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 05 Apr 2014, 00:00

He stole a metal tape measure though yesterday
or maybe he wanted to measure his waist line :lol: :lol:

Teamcov

Post by Teamcov » 05 Apr 2014, 08:02

Liz, good point...I'll go for more meaty next order and see if that sates him...it might also tie into what Anne said about something he is craving...meat!! He has been wormed and I do soak his dinner as well and once a week I add a tin of tuna for good fish stuff!

Lamby! I feel your pain....a tape measure!? Why do they go for the most ridiculous and hazardous things!! It's like having a rampant toddler again! Lucky they are so darned cute!