Is crate training really nessesary??

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Mollysmom

Is crate training really nessesary??

Post by Mollysmom » 23 Apr 2014, 01:06

I have had quite a few dogs in my life and have never crated any of them. I'm usually up a couple times during the night and don't mind if I have to take her out for a quick bathroom break. I got her a nice bed and I have baby gates to confine her to the kitchen. I also have puppy pads and a box of toys from chew toys to stuffed animals. Crate training is something ive never done. I will consider it if you feel it is nessesary.

Doodle Dee

Re: Is crate training really nessesary??

Post by Doodle Dee » 23 Apr 2014, 07:31

I think it is a personal choice. I too like you never crated any of my dogs (I did have a puppy pen for one of my dogs but it took the whole of the room up)

I did have a crate for Lulu purely because she came with it!!! She was in it for about 6 hours and she howled and cried and she had messed the crate poo and water and wee - paper everywhere - she didn't care about her bed. Although she used it during the day. So that was that. I let her out, she slept outside our bedroom and that was that (no crying at all)

But........am I sorry she wasn't crate trained and I didn't persevere - as she was a chewer yes!! It would have been nice also to put her in her crATE for "time out" I hear of other successful crate trainers and I am very jealous. If I had another dog I may try again - but I doubt it

So as I say it is a personal thing
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 23 Apr 2014, 07:45

We found the crate worked well for us , during the day it was open and S liked going in and closed it at night which helped with the through the night toileting- contrary to Lulu, we used pen at start as didn't want to close the crate and that caused much more toilet mess, jumping out the pen, barking and general mayhem. When we used a closed crate at night our nights improved drastically- we also took him out to toilet once a night when he woke. At dinner times or if he was being over/ excitable I popped him in crate also, which had allowed us to train a few meal time manners. It's no longer serving a purpose though so at 6 months we've stopped using it. I'd use it again with a pup in the early months.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 23 Apr 2014, 08:01

As said before - it is personal choice. I have had pups without a crate and had successful toilet training with the odd chewed item. Then I got a Rhodesian ridgeback pup who effectively are my old cottage from the inside out and humped everything and everyone within reach and was a total menace ( I loved him very much all the same) a friend loaned me a crate and I got a calmer pup and I was more relaxed and it worked a treat
Sine then I have used a crate for post operative care and puppies first few weeks and then let them have run if the kitchen/family room so any chaos was contained and this has worked well. My doodles spent less than a month in crates at night so was quite happy with that.
It's not necessary but can give you some peace of mind - many others on here don't crate and are happy with that too
ImageImage
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Apr 2014, 08:08

I don't crate mine - I tried with Daisy but because there was another dog in the room not crated she wouldn't settle. As soon as I got rid of the crate she was fine. I think a pup sees a dog and wants to snuggle up with it, but if there isn't another dog around I think they are a good idea.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sasha & Pluto

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 23 Apr 2014, 08:47

We crated Pluto until very recently, he is now 7mths old so we have just started to give him the hall way and my daughters den to be in. I found crating helped with toilet training and he was dry very quickly. It also helped with time outs when he got a bit over excited. We bought an Ellie Bo crate from Amazon and also bought the crate cover, so it was like a little den all snug for him. Crate was about £50 which is so much cheaper than other places esp PAH.

Good luck
Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 23 Apr 2014, 09:38

We still use a crate, it gave me peace of mind so I could sleep at night. Apart from a weeks blip where he created merry hell going in there, he had been brilliant!

He seems to completely relax when he goes in there, as a pose to being on alert when he is out. Also when I pop out or at night I know he can't eat the sofa or shout the odds at the window! :D
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 23 Apr 2014, 09:42

Mine hated the crate. He refused to come in from the garden at night. It was a v stiflingly hot summer, and I had the crate partially under the work surface, so I think he was uncomfortably hot. Anyway, after 3 nights of not going in it and having the run of the kitchen he came straight back in after his last toilet break, and snuggled into his bed.

I think if I had small children I would try crate training one or the other!!! So that puppy could get some peace and quiet!!

Benben

Post by Benben » 23 Apr 2014, 10:07

Another vote for the crate. I do think it depends a bit on the puppy and on the owner though, and I'm sure it makes a difference how it's presented at first as well.

As far as Ursa was concerned, several things came together. She was really tiny when I brought her home (not quite seven weeks old), and her breeder only lives an hour's drive away so she had twelve hours of playing and exploring before bedtime. So for her the crate wasn't a prison, it was a safe place. It was also HUGE: even with a round bed and lots of blankets she looked like a tiny little scrap! I had brought home a particularly manky towel from the litter's bed so it smelled very familiar to her.

There was space at one side of the crate to put down puppy pads, but we only used them for a few weeks and once I'd upgraded the bed to a full sized mattress she has never ever messed in the crate. I am sure as I can be that the crate made house training a breeze - I had it in the kitchen/diner with immediate access to the garden so I could grab her and plonk her outside immediately.

Last night I sent her to her bed but left the crate open. This morning she was very pleased with herself: house clean with no little puddles and nothing chewed or destroyed either. It feels like a proper graduation!

Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

Pauline

Post by Pauline » 23 Apr 2014, 16:13

I hadn't crate trained in the past but have with both of my dogs now. It was useful to know that the house was safe when we went out.

The other advantage is that they are used to a crate if they ever have to go in to the vets for any treatment.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

shivlin

Post by shivlin » 23 Apr 2014, 16:19

I do use a crate but its all down to personal preference and what works best for your doodle.

I certainly don't crate him for a long period of time apart from night time. I personally feel my pup likes it as his den and place of security.
Image Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Apr 2014, 17:57

My last 2 puppies have had a pen instead of a crate - I know they are safe but they have more room. I also go against all the recommendations and give them a night-time toilet area, because I am not someone who gets up in the night for toileting them :oops: :oops: .
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 23 Apr 2014, 18:57

We didn't do crate training with Tia, but we did have a soft crate for the car which she took to sleeping in when she was little. It suited us because it could be in the kitchen during the day, and our room at night and I think she found it comforting. The only time it was ever closed up was in the car, or when I was hoovering (when it calmed her down to be in there).

For toilet training however, we did it the old fashioned way and it worked well for us, so I agree with those who say it is personal choice and not a requirement. Have fun :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 23 Apr 2014, 20:36

I already had a large crate as I used to have a large, rather aggressive rescue dog who mainly used it as an Aladdin's cave to hide his ill-gotten booty...

I did use it in the front room during the day when I needed to collapse on the sofa and know the puppy was safe. But I've never used it to confine him - he had a puppy play pen in the kitchen with his bed in it. I used it for time outs, bedtime and for leaving him if I had to go out or upstairs (he was/is a chewer).

I think it depends on what works for you. Ianto happily goes in the crate whenever we travel as it's now in the car boot... :D
Anne & Ianto x

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 23 Apr 2014, 20:53

Is my Sam the only pup in doodle'dom to vault pens?.. Each and every pen of various heights that I put him in from 8 weeks old.?!. After filming we realised he was using his little claws to climb up and over the bars- we gave up on the pen at 10 weeks- just a wee warning, from a height they could damage their wee limbs- or at least that was my main worry.