Recall - About turn walk - anyone used this sort of method?

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
chocdog

Recall - About turn walk - anyone used this sort of method?

Post by chocdog » 12 May 2014, 08:15

I've been trying this "About turn walk" technique for improving recall with Charlie (who's nearly one year old).

http://www.dogparliament.com/index.php? ... -turn-walk

Early days but I think (or is that hope) it might be helping.

Does it sound sensible to any of you more experienced doodle owners?

Bid

Re: Recall - About turn walk - anyone used this sort of met

Post by Bid » 12 May 2014, 08:41

I've tried it - it's fine when there are no distractions, but then so are most methods! Daisy views any time when I am not watching her as an opportunity to sneak off and do as she pleases!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 12 May 2014, 08:47

We kind of do that. George is pretty good (at the moment) at recall, but if when we are walking he wonders too far in front I turn around, don't say anything and walk the opposite way. Or sometimes hide behind a tree. It seems to keep him always looking for me and he says closer and waits a lot for me to catch up. I also do a 'stop' and 'wait' if he is ahead. As Bid says it is harder with distractions though!
Rhea & George

ImageImage

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 12 May 2014, 09:18

Our puppy trainer told me to train heel by holding the lead in my right hand (in front of my body), keeping Paddy on the left of me and in my free left hand keep a tasty treat under his nose. While walking I would encourage him by saying "heel, good heel" and let him have a nibble of what was in my hand. It worked well and he certainly got to know what "heel" meant. I did have very sore fingers for a while though with his nippy puppy teeth. When he got stronger and more interested in the world about him and pulled like a train I used a mekuti lead with this technique and he's brill on the lead now.
ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 12 May 2014, 10:40

Yes and it does work to a certain extent. However, when she is completely "wired" as I call it and in one if those modes where she is frantic about scents or lots of distractions, it would not. Neither would hiding up.
Both normally do on a quiet walk and are good for reinforcing them keeping an eye on you. Be careful though, as when we tried hiding on a walk where she was being a nightmare and getting scents and going too far ahead, she never looked back and had gone miles when we realised she wasn't coming back. She disappeared twice into woods and was gone for several minutes both times. :shock:
It seems all these things have some effect in training sessions but if they are in that mode where the world is far more exciting than you you are on a hiding to nothing and you can only hope nothing too awful occurs.
Tess picks up a scent or chases a bird and always comes back but my fear is she will dash over a road.
I am waiting for this magic three when they calm down but I don't want to wish her lovely life away and I suspect it's just a mirage.
Has anyone with a dog who hares off on a scent or a quick chase found they grow out of it or managed to train them out of it? Xxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 12 May 2014, 10:42

Woody's recall was fine - mostly - until a couple of months ago when the hormones properly kicked in. He's been neutered now and is definitely becoming more responsive.

However, I've always done the about-turn walk when he wasn't paying attention to where we were, and the "hiding behind trees" when he gets too far away. It works well for us, although he's never been one to range for miles - it's quite difficult to practice recall with a dog that is never more than twenty feet away. But, like Suzi23173, I've lost him once doing the hiding / going in a different direction when he went the wrong way "up" my scent trail, looking for me back where we'd come from rather than where I was headed. He ended up at the other end of the park, and it was awful thinking I'd lost him!

He's also got very wise to the 'hiding' and finds it far too easy to find us, even when we are buried in a holly bush.

My mate's golden retriever was a nightmare on the recall front and she opted for the "cheese" method which I have also used - having a bag of mature cheddar pieces to hand at all times and practicing calling the dog back for a bit of cheese every few minutes over the walk. Worked a treat for them, and has been quite good for Woody's recall too. :)

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 12 May 2014, 11:18

Rig keeps an eye on me the majority of the time so is difficult to hide from! I use a whistle sparingly, only when I really need it and a few for reinforcement. He has a special treat that he only gets for whistle recall which he loves so 9/10 he turns on a penny and comes straight back. :D

The jumping up however, we're still working on, but he is improving :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 May 2014, 12:52

Reading through the instructions several thoughts came to mind -
I would need:
my own private estate in the Highlands of Scotland,
a cast-iron bladder,
to be out on a walk for at least a week continuously...

The bit that made me smile was 'until he is starting to slow down a little' :lol: I understand the theory, but Ianto couldn't have cared less where I was. Hiding is pointless when no-one comes Seeking... :( (it's also a little embarrassing when you finally have to emerge from your hidey-hole and go looking for your puppy :oops: )

I think this would probably work better for a very young pup - I wasn't able to let Ianto go off lead out on walks for several months, so it may have worked better then. Since he was neutered he has been responding better (or maybe it's just as he grows up) and I do sometimes turn around and walk away from him - but always with either his whistle to catch his attention to what's happening, or a call, a rattle of the treat pot and my arms outstretched... it takes a strong will to walk away and not look back!! :lol:

Good Luck -
Anne & Ianto x

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 May 2014, 14:33

suzi23173 wrote: Has anyone with a dog who hares off on a scent or a quick chase found they grow out of it or managed to train them out of it? Xxx
Chasing is one of those things that gets worse the more they do it unfortunately - it's what is known as self-reinforcing as they get a dopamine buzz from it, and the more they do it the more of a buzz they get It's not such a problem if it is only rabbits or squirrels as they either go to ground or up a tree. It's a blessed nuisance if it is deer or hare, as they run for hours!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 12 May 2014, 16:38

That's what I hoped you wouldn't say but knew you would!
:roll:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 12 May 2014, 19:25

suzi23173 wrote:Tess picks up a scent or chases a bird and always comes back but my fear is she will dash over a road.

I am waiting for this magic three when they calm down but I don't want to wish her lovely life away and I suspect it's just a mirage.

Has anyone with a dog who hares off on a scent or a quick chase found they grow out of it or managed to train them out of it? Xxx
The danger to the dog is real and reliable recall is an absolute necessity if you're going to safely let her off-leash. IMHO anyway.

A dog that wants to follow its nose is wired to do that and age isn't likely to change it very much... until they're too old and arthritic to be bothered! Unlike (most) children, our dogs aren't going to get any smarter as they get older. It's like dealing with a toddler their entire life... one with ADHD. Expecting them to think ahead or contemplate danger is unrealistic! :lol:

And to answer your last question above, 'yes'. But describing how will start the inevitable moaning and hand-wringing, so please PM me if you are seriously interested in the details of how.

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 12 May 2014, 19:35

Although playing hide & seek sounds good for improving recall, it must be said that, quite a dim view is taken of grown ups who hide in bushes and behind tree's in the parks in our town. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 May 2014, 20:29

Oscar2011 wrote:Although playing hide & seek sounds good for improving recall, it must be said that, quite a dim view is taken of grown ups who hide in bushes and behind tree's in the parks in our town.
Fortunately, we're more innocent here in the Derbyshire hills....! They just laugh at me... :oops: Blimey, you certainly believe in making a comphrehensive-educated bod use Google Translate... :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

chocdog

Post by chocdog » 13 May 2014, 09:40

Thanks very much for all your comments.
Always useful to get others' experiences!
It's a work in progress of course, but I do think the "About turn" walk is helping us quite a bit.

Re. chasing: deer has not happened yet, but would be a total Fenton style nightmare, I have no doubt. Rabbits has happened and Charlie has to stay on lead anywhere proper "country" where there might be rabbits or livestock. At the moment he only goes off lead in towny dog walking areas (everyday) and the beach (at weekends). I imagine this will always be the case as he is a towny dog and I am sure he will never be reliable around sheep etc.

Dollymix

Post by Dollymix » 20 Jun 2014, 17:42

So pleased that other people's doodle has a mind of their own. As at times she walks fantastic and other times has a mind of her own. I always had collie/ cross rescue. Always walk perfectly. My doodle well.... But we love her very much.