Recall

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Sarahdol75

Recall

Post by Sarahdol75 » 03 Nov 2014, 13:01

Harleys recall is absolute rubbish, up until about 2 months ago, he was getting good, in a field, up until the point of another dog coming in, and then he completely lost it.

Since the argument with that bloke I have not had the confidence to take Harley off his lead, as had a few incidents where I am chasing him in a field, because he just will not come back to me, and running off everytime I go near him, and have been lead walking him everywhere since.

Well this weekend, we were at the beach, and OH, said to let him off the lead, well I did warn him, what he has been like.

What a site to have seen, Harley was having a mad doodle dash, luckily the beach was quiet, but he went mental, and he wouldnt come when we called, and when he did come he just leaped up at us and started biting.

In the end we got him in a cave and had to trap him with playing with bottles and anything we could get our hands on.

Traumatic wasnt the word, and OH had a few choice words to say.
ImageImage

MandyG

Re: Recall

Post by MandyG » 03 Nov 2014, 16:41

Oh dear. How old is Harley again? Could he be going through the terrible teens when they forget everything you've ever taught them and turn into uncontrollable little monsters for a while?

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Nov 2014, 18:53

Do you think perhaps he had so much energy built up having had lead walks that he just couldn't help himself?

It's tough when you have had a few setbacks, but don't give up. My suggestion would be to make it easy for you both by setting him up to succeed. Start with practising indoors at home with no distractions, and start with a whole new command that he hasn't ignored yet. It can help if you tell him you are going to do Harley Training so he gets to know what to expect. Doodles are bright dogs and they know they are often going back on the lead when called, so make it fun. You could even use lead as your new recall command! Call him to you, put on his lead and then go crazy with the treats, jump about, telling him how clever he is - get very excited about it, maybe produce a squeaky toy for a quick game of tug, then let him off the lead and do it again.

Once he gets that and thinks it fun, maybe add some distant distractions - OH walking past a window, or coming in the front door for example. Next step would be closer distractions such as someone coming in the room. Don't move up a step until he is 100% perfect each time.

Then you can do all that over again in your garden - no distractions, then distant distraction then close distractions. Outside you can incorporate a little bit of running away when you recall him which will be exciting for him as he gets to do a little bit of chasing, but when he catches up with you ask instantly for a sit and put him on lead before you do the exciting reward thing, so he doesn't get into the biting scenario.

After that you can move to somewhere quiet on a walk where there are no distractions other than you and the treats/toys. This is where it helps if he knows he is going to do "Harley Training" - he will know what to expect and will be waiting for the fun to start rather than scampering off to explore. I do this with Daisy - she knows that Daisy Training means I am going to ask her to do stuff and reward her when she does it so she gets alert and starts to pay attention to me in readiness.

Whatever you decide to do, take it slowly in tiny steps, until you are confident that Harley has got it and will do it. Training is an on-going process and we all get setbacks from time to time.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 03 Nov 2014, 22:11

Harley will be 9 months next week, and yes I think he is going through the teenage years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I really hope it doesnt last as long as those, as my teenager is terrible at the moment, cant cope with 2 of them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bid, all your suggestions are great, will definitely try them out.
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 03 Nov 2014, 22:16

Patience is a virtue - everything Bid says and then some - they recognise panic also - and I don't understand doggy body language but perhaps he caught the panic from uourselves, perhaps he decided to make a game of it.

Yes they are terrors when they learn that they can drive you made, so all I can say (she says with an extremely good dog at recall - sometimes) have patient, choose your command and only reward good behaviour.

Someone told me that the more you call them the worse it is - apparently it become "white noise" which they totally ignore.

Good luck, remember under that naughty dog is the dood you love and that melts your heart
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 03 Nov 2014, 22:19

Sarahdol.

Just to let you know you have my sympathy... Ianto turns into a whirling dervish when he comes out of the sea... He's better now and just dashes around but when he was younger it was accompanied by leaping and biting - as if the sea water had driven him loopy.
On his first sea-side holiday (at eight months) we had to buy a half-check collar - as he managed to wriggle out of his normal one - and once had to use two leads (one either side) just to get him off the beach. :shock: Tell your hubby he is not alone!

Anne & Ianto x

donkeydoodlelulu

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 04 Nov 2014, 00:28

Is there anywhere you can practice that is enclosed like a tennis court,football/leisure enclosure?
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 04 Nov 2014, 09:58

Don't worry we had and still sometimes have the same problem with George. We have never kept him on lead though as I think he would go crazy. Just LOTS of recall practice all the time and really good treats!

His is defiantly the teenage stage, he used to be really good! Hopefully he will calm down soon. He is also getting done in December so maybe it will help too, you never know...
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 04 Nov 2014, 11:52

Curious George wrote:He is also getting done in December so maybe it will help too, you never know...
It will only help if he is running off after bitches - sadly it's not an all round behaviour improver. In fact with timid dogs it can cause more behavioural problems than it resolves.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 04 Nov 2014, 14:08

Yes it mainly seems to be for bitches (horny teenager!) But we know it most probably wont make any difference, that's why we just keep doing a lot of training.
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 04 Nov 2014, 15:20

Lola went through this stage. What I did as leave off the word 'Lola' and 'come' because those two words could have negative associations - the end of a walk, having her hair trimmed, stopping doing something that is fun etc...

We had to replace it with something and what i did as for about a month in advance i called her to me in the house, out of the house, anywhere really, sometimes just from right near me, sometimes from downstairs or upstairs or whatever, with just the word 'treat'. All that happened after she came was she was given a treat and then she was free.

The treat has to be something very high status, cut up roast chicken, dried duck breast (Antos), something they don't get at any other time.

Out in the fields calling treat and giving the treat is the next step. Don't put lead on at any time just after. Just give treats.

Then call treat when you really need them back, (they've gone thru a hedge or whatever) and give the treat, don't put the lead on.

Then when getting near home time call for treat. Let them off again. Then call a bit later, and this time put the lead on but give several treats. A jackpot of treats.

This worked for us.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 13 Nov 2014, 22:45

I have bought a whistle today, and have been trying it out with Harley, walking up and down a lane, blowing the whistle, then giving him a treat. Then running up and down the lane, blowing it, giving him a treat. Back in the house, he was in the garden, and I was in the house, I blew the whistle, he came running in, gave him a treat.

This afternoon, I was changing the beds and Harley was upstairs with me, after I had finished, I went downstairs, he stayed upstairs, I blew the whistle, he came flying down, I gave him a treat.

He is already starting to learn that when I blow the whistle he gets a treat, I need to try this out in a field, now, with other distractions, this is my problem, he gets so excited out in the field, and will not come back, please wish me luck.
ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 14 Nov 2014, 10:58

I was going to suggest the whistle! Tia is mostly very good, but only through constant reinforcement as she was getting very good at 'turning a deaf ear'!

We use the whistle sometimes, and sometimes just call her (I don't want to rely on the whistle in case we don't have one at some time), using the whistle as back up if calling doesn't work. The key for us though has been to do it all the time. If she is out in the garden and we want her in, we do the call, or blow the whistle, and she comes flying in for a treat, and while we are out, we call her back repeatedly for a tiny treat just to keep it as a habit.

She can still be naughty if she sees another dog before you do, which recently resulted in her getting her ear torn, but she is even coming back most times when there is another dog in sight.

Good luck x
ImageImage

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 18 Nov 2014, 11:54

I am going through the exact same thing with Willow at the moment. Most of the time on our walks I've got her attention and she's happy to play ball and comes back fairly easily. However just recently she has taken to charging across the park to say hello to other dogs, and there is absolutely no getting her back, I have to go and physically remove her because she generally is making a very excitable pain of herself. Luckily most of the other dog walkers don't mind too much, so nobody has yet shouted at me, but there are lots of older dogs who just aren't interested in being bounced within an inch of their life! I too have bought a whistle, and stocked up on dried chicken treats, so we shall see how it goes!
Ruth & Willow

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 18 Nov 2014, 15:38

Love your description of Willow here, sounds just like Tia!
ImageImage