Recall

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Ianto!

Re: Recall

Post by Ianto! » 21 Nov 2014, 16:02

Sarahdol75 wrote:Also, how do you know when they can be trusted to be free again.
...Ah, the philosophy of Doodledom... :wink: :lol:

Anne & Ianto x

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 21 Nov 2014, 18:13

Hi, we have been training with a whistle for the last week, I have been watching clips on youtube, and it has been working great at home, in the garden, if he is in another room and he wont come when called, if I blow the whistle, he comes straight away.

I thought as he was doing so well with the whistle, I would try outside, but no, throws his ears back, and runs like the wind for freedom. :x

Oh no,:-( I won't hold my breath then and expect it to work too soon!
They do always make it look so easy in the videos and books, If only it was like that in reality. No wonder trainers and behaviourists charge a fortune! I'm sure he'll get it eventually, Fingers crossed!
Ruth & Willow

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 21 Nov 2014, 19:16

I often watch video to see how they train but I doubt that they have ever started from the beginning. The dog has been trained before - perhaps not fully but their understanding is way to good for it to be the first time - I especially found that with Victoria Stillwell however good she is - so i do things my way - a bit like frank sinatra
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Emily&molly

Post by Emily&molly » 07 Dec 2014, 13:33

We are having exactly the same problem with Molly at the moment! I've had to run like a loony three times this weekend to try and get her to come with me, one of them to attempt to stop her chasing a car, which she has never done before. She is 18 months and until about a month ago we thought we had cracked it, she was a lot easier and recall with other dogs around was good, but oh no! I have also just bought total recall to read in the hope we can get our well behaved girl back!! Please tell me there is a late teenager stage?!!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 07 Dec 2014, 23:00

Emily&molly wrote:Please tell me there is a late teenager stage?!!
So far as I can tell Emily&molly, there's a 'late teenage stage', a later teenage stage, etc., etc.,.... :shock:
But my 'Total Recall' book arrived on Friday morning and I've been snatching moments to read it this weekend... Fingers and toes completely crossed! If it works, I'm going to buy her, "Climbing on the furniture and nicking things off the top of the piano" one.... :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 08 Dec 2014, 09:18

We've just started having this problem with George again, just when you think you've cracked the recall. Its reassuring to hear people have the same problems! :lol:
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Emily&molly

Post by Emily&molly » 08 Dec 2014, 23:08

Oh dear... It's good to know others are in the same boat! I'm tempted to take up gun dog training, has anyone had a good experience with this and their doodle?!

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 09 Dec 2014, 16:02

Im glad its not just me, that is still having trouble.

In wales at the weekend, I spoke to a lady who has a labradoodle, who is nearly 3, and she says she still has the same problems, that I am having with Harley, getting them to come back to you at the end of a walk/run and be put back on the lead.

The lady said it can be about 3 hours or so, if her doodle is playing up and doesnt want to go home. Sounds just like Harley, she was telling me, to give him lots of rewards and make a big fuss of him. The only problem I have with that, is he doesnt want the rewards on a walk, doesnt come anywhere near me to give him them, even though I have always got a pocket full.

Funny thing is, when we go to puppy classes, everyone there says how well behaved he is, and he does everything he is supposed to do, most of it off the lead, but come the outside world, another story, they dont believe me when I say what he does when we are in a field.

Oh well, persevere, perservere, lol ,lol .
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 09 Dec 2014, 20:42

I'm still busy reading Total Recall, Sarahdol. No wonder I had little success with recall when Ianto was a puppy - one of the worst winters in a while, and I certainly wasn't rolling on the floor letting him lick me all over! :shock: (Thinks: I wonder if they write training manuals for Winter puppies?? :roll: )
I wouldn't be letting my dog off lead if it took three hours to get him back - I love my mutty but if he was gone that long, I'd be investing in a catapult!! :lol:

Sorry Emily&molly, no experience with gundog training, although I think Pixie and Jazz's Mum has mentioned one of hers excelled at a gundog training class... Does anyone else remember that?? I think the gundog guy had called doods 'scrambled eggs'... then had to eat his words! :wink:

Anne & Ianto x

Edited to add: Here we go... http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... an#p328310 (though it was our Canadian 'friend' who mentioned the 'scrambled eggs'.... :roll:)

Ruthio

Post by Ruthio » 10 Dec 2014, 09:27

Willow is doing ok in the park, largely depending on how much fun she is having. However, she continues to put on a show at puppy training. Again this week she managed to make a break for it. She's worked out that if she picks up her lead on her mouth, it's harder to catch her, so thats what she did, 5 minutes of very gleeful laps of honour before one of the other owners managed to grab her as she flew past. Very frustrating, but she's having the time of her life!
Ruth & Willow

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 10 Dec 2014, 15:40

Sarahdol75 wrote:Im glad its not just me, that is still having trouble.

Sounds just like Harley, she was telling me, to give him lots of rewards and make a big fuss of him. The only problem I have with that, is he doesnt want the rewards on a walk, doesnt come anywhere near me to give him them, even though I have always got a pocket full.
Oh well, persevere, perservere, lol ,lol .
Just a thought have you tried cooked liver as your treats.Equally do not feed him before you go out...

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Dec 2014, 16:52

Bless her, Ruth - Willow looks very much like our Ianto... I love the way the shadow makes it look as if she's hugging her bed! :D
Our lad used to do that at training classes - I once managed to get a Recall by walking straight out of the hall and into the Gents toilets... :? But, reading the excellent Pippa's book, apparently it's 'self-rewarding behaviour' (cos they're having so much fun!) so, maybe everyone trying to grab her made it even more of a game? At least if she's working well at the park and only acting up at class that's better than the other way round... :roll: I got used to being the cabaret... and it certainly helps to get everyone talking (and laughing) together. Would it help, do you think, if everyone ignored her when she goes walkabout? (Though how you get anyone to ignore a doodle, I have no idea! Sorry... :oops: )
Take heart, there is light at the end of the tunnel, peeps - and no, it's not a train... :wink:
Anne & Ianto x
Liver cake, Pollydoodle, excellent reminder thanks - it's class tonight and I've got some in the freezer..... :D

DiSet

Post by DiSet » 10 Dec 2014, 21:17

Anne & Ianto x

Edited to add: Here we go... http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... an#p328310 (though it was our Canadian 'friend' who mentioned the 'scrambled eggs'.... :roll:)[/quote]

I haven't been on here for a while and now I know why. The above is an unnecessary comment about someone who you know doesn't post on here anymore. You may not have agreed with his point of view and that's fine, but leave out the snidey comments and eye rolls etc. Mmm and as I far as I understand he has good recall with his dog (whether you agree with his methods or not).

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Dec 2014, 22:18

I've done some gun dog training with Poppy - she was a positive reinforcement trainer and she had loads of really good ideas - well worth a go if you can find a reward based gun dog trainer, but they are few and far between I think.

Daisy was enrolled on a "fun dog to gun dog" course but they cancelled it after one session - I think probably because of Daisy!

Exercise 1 - retrieve. Daisy's turn and she ran off to get the pheasant dummy, brought it back and did a trophy trot around the other attendees before bringing it to me.

Exercise 2 - retrieve in scrub. Daisy doesn't like prickles, so they had to find thick undergrowth that had no thistles or brambles before she would go in there.

Exercies 3 - the water retrieve. In spite of going swimming in a hydro poole every fortnight for 3 years, Daisy refused to go out of her depth and waited for the dummy to float to her.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 10 Dec 2014, 23:03

DiSet,
I was referring to his comments just before he left us rather than his training methods and I don't consider my comment to be 'snidey' - but each to their own.
Anne x