puppy sleeping

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
PhilNShirl

puppy sleeping

Post by PhilNShirl » 19 Feb 2015, 14:23

Hi, we are due to welcome Spencer (male doodle pup) to our home early in March, what's the consensus on putting the pup to bed at night? peoples experiences? noisy at night? crate or bed?

dexysback

Re: puppy sleeping

Post by dexysback » 19 Feb 2015, 14:47

when we got dexter he was ok in hall way down stairs ,but second nite kept trying to come up stairs and got stuck in stair gate .so from that nite he as slept upstairs on hes own bed .He as never been any trouble sleeping.He also never gets on our bed .good luck with it enjoy your pup.
ImageImage

PhilNShirl

Post by PhilNShirl » 19 Feb 2015, 14:50

thanks for that, what was dexters toilet habits like at that period ?

swardie

Post by swardie » 19 Feb 2015, 15:44

Hi, and welcome, Philnshirl, and looking forward to seeing your new arrival's photos soon.
I lurked about this forum for ages before I got Dex ( my 3rd dog, but first Dood) , and I think I became institutionalised for a bit! ( LOL) . I went along with all the good advice, and bought a crate for the first time ever, which I used for two or three nights, until I realised that my lovely boy didn't actually need to be in there, didn't want to be in there, and actually would rather be a very clean boy at night if he can be with us, and it's remained like that!

You'll find that there's loads of good advice on this forum from good hearted people, some with one Dood, some with more, but to be honest, I've trusted my instincts as I've gone along, and I've not regretted it- I understand my Dex more than anyone else, but I know that's where my expertise starts and ends re Doods! It's all up to you now, but perhaps think carefully before you spends loads of money on equipment - it may suit your dog very well, but on the other hand.........

Anyway, best of luck, enjoy your puppy, and make sure you post loads of photos!

Best wishes from Sandie and Dex x

PhilNShirl

Post by PhilNShirl » 19 Feb 2015, 15:46

thanks Sandie

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 19 Feb 2015, 16:35

lulu had about 6 hours in the crate and then I let her sleep upstairs outside our bedroom and that was that - crate gone!

We had puppy pads around the hall but when she was 5 months she stayed at a friend and then was clean and dry!

But beware - Lulu chewed a lot of things - I was told on here to buy citronella and then that cured chewing my hall woodwork!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Feb 2015, 17:55

Hi PhilNShirl,

As others will know, I used a playpen for my first puppy. We have a fairly large kitchen and so many opportunities for our little Ninja pup to get himself into trouble..... :? I found that using the pen gave me peace of mind, and I could leave him safely overnight. It also doubled up as somewhere to put him when he needed a Time Out (Ianto had no Off switch and was an extremely bite-y boy.... :shock: ) To be honest, we're far too untidy to let him sleep in our room - one of my elderly rescue terriers once helped himself to a tube of Ibuprofen gel left lying around by the OH (fortunately I realised he'd nipped in there and a tragedy was averted... :roll: )

Our new addition also sleeps in the kitchen, he has his own play pen with his puppy bed in it and Ianto now has a small sofa (he has bad hips). Whereas Iant used to wake me in the night (3 am, then 4 and then 5) to go out for a wee or a pooh, Wyre has slept through from the start. He sometimes has a wee on the paper I put in his pen, but not a peep (so far...!)

Many people are happy to share their bedrooms with their doods - it's horses for courses, really. Rather like children, each dood is different. You'll need to find what you and your other half are comfortable with and go for it...

Looking forward to seeing photos of young Spencer.... :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

LucyDoods

Post by LucyDoods » 19 Feb 2015, 19:49

We have Lucy who is only 12 weeks old and we have had her for 3 weeks.

We crate her a night, and have done since her first night here (start as we mean to go on). First couple of nights we had her upstairs outside our bedroom she cried for about 20 mins but then settled down and slept.

The first few nights were getting up halfway through the night to let her out. However, she thought this was this was 'play time' and was a bit of challenge getting her to settle again.

She is now downstairs in a quiet room of her own. We take her water away around 8pm (she is fed her last meal at 18:30), we ensure she has last pee / petty at around 11pm then bed. She goes all night and one of us is up at 06:30 to let her out. She seems fine with that then in the morning it's straight to the garden for a wee then fed when she gets back in.

One of Lucy's siblings has gone all night since day one.

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Feb 2015, 23:55

I use a pen for puppies - they have a sleep area, and a toilet area plus their water in there. I know that we are "supposed" to have a crate without a toilet area so they learn not to soil their sleeping area, but I also know that having a puppy is a very tiring thing, and sometimes stressful, and tbh I find it all goes a lot better if I get a good nights sleep! I am a night owl anyway, so I put the pup out for a last wee at about midnight, and then put him/her to bed with a frozen puppy kong (usually filled with goats yoghurt) and let them slurp their way to sleep.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

sherrilo

Post by sherrilo » 28 Feb 2015, 18:47

Our doodle Arthur has been crated from the start, it was hard going for a few weeks. I am glad we persevered as he is a big chewer!! He has been on the go for 12 hours today but it has been easier since he was toilet trained. You can have the crate in you bedroom to start with and put your hand down for him to smell in the night. You work out what you think is best and make him fit in with that.

Nick O

Post by Nick O » 10 Mar 2015, 10:53

Hello all.

We are the proud owners of eight weeks old Henny. We have had her four days now, and the level of affection shown is incredible.

Her toileting is fantastic. During the day she let's us know, at night, in her pen, she goes on her training pad.

It is the night time where we are struggling. Even yesterday we had her playing for a good hour and she was shattered! We thought that would get her through the night, but unfortunately not. She sleeps in ninety minutes bursts, no longer.

She came from a litter of ten, who were all in the same pen with Mum, from a busy house (breeder has five kids!), so I appreciate she is used to a busy home.

We are quiet as there are only two of us, but I am wondering/asking if I am missing a trick here to her through the night.

PS

We tried a crate on the first night, but she did not settle in there at all, unlike the pen.

Bid

Post by Bid » 10 Mar 2015, 11:27

What does she do when she wakes? Is she playing, or barking? WHen I;ve had a pup bark at night I take them out for a toilet trip to see if that is what they want, and then pop them straight back to bed. There is no talking other than their toilet instructions and a "night night" so that it is clearly not playtime, and eventually they go to sleep. It doesn't take long for them to realise that barking doesn't mean fun. I think if they still don't settle then they probable need the reassurance of being near you for a while.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Nick O

Post by Nick O » 10 Mar 2015, 12:26

Bid, thanks for the quick response.

Starts with yelping/howling, then barking.

The first night my oh went down at 3am to take her out for a wee, (I wont mention me being lay on the floor with her at 1am) as that is what the breeder said she'd done. No weeing required.

I mentioned having a travel crate in the bedroom with us, the breeder strongly recommended against that.

As I type this, she is curled up at my feet

Coco

Post by Coco » 10 Mar 2015, 19:41

Nick, we brought our puppy home on Sunday and the first night we put here in her crate she cried on and off throughout the night and was barking so loud at 4am I had to get up to her. She had done a very small poo so I had to clean the crate out, put new bedding in etc. then she went back until about 6am.

Last night, after reading lots of advice on this forum we did things a little differently and took a multi-pronged approach! I put the crate inside a puppy pen so she could have a small area outside with a puppy pad in case she needed the loo. I wore an old soft jumper all evening and then wrapped it around a hot water bottle and put that in her crate. She also had a motion activated beating heart soft toy that I'd ordered online and arrived yesterday morning. I put Radio 4 on low and left a light on in the boot room that adjoins the kitchen where her crate is. I also took her water away. At 10pm I had a game of fetch with her in the kitchen to tire her out as she'd been dozing all evening. Took her outside for a wee at 10.30pm and then put her in the pen. She went straight into her crate without a murmur and was quiet as a mouse all night.

I came down to her at 6.15 this morning and the crate was clean and dry. Not sure if she was generally just feeling more settled the second night but the combination of various things obviously worked! Hopefully it will be the same tonight but no guarantees of course.

Nick O

Post by Nick O » 10 Mar 2015, 20:10

Coco, thanks for the info, it seems we were in the same boat!

Can you tell me where you got the toy from/what it is called?

Thanks