Puppy eating his own poop!

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Sama81

Puppy eating his own poop!

Post by Sama81 » 03 Mar 2015, 13:49

Hi,

Our new labradoodle puppy Gary just loves eating his own poop in the garden! Can anyone suggest how we get him to stop this?

Thank you,

Sam

donkeydoodlelulu

Re: Puppy eating his own poop!

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 03 Mar 2015, 15:06

I feed mine a raw diet. Some kind soul on here suggested adding some cooked corgettes to their food and it works for us.

I am sure wiser people will come along with other suggestions. .. Not sure if I'm making this up but I think pineapple works as well?
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

swardie

Post by swardie » 03 Mar 2015, 18:37

I've heard the same about pineapple! X

Sama81

Post by Sama81 » 04 Mar 2015, 10:45

Thank you for the replies! We have only had him a few days and we are just about to change over his food as the breeder was feeing him on bakers, so we hope a better food may help. If not we will try the pineapple!

Sam and Gary

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 04 Mar 2015, 12:07

my pup ate my cats poop but not her own!

My friends retriever ate her own poop but she grew out of it eventually
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 04 Mar 2015, 12:34

Pineapple worked for my old terrier!
Sue and Rosie

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Mar 2015, 19:23

May I also suggest being on hand when he's going out to toilet and making sure that you've picked his poohs up? Then he doesn't get the opportunity :wink:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Sama81

Post by Sama81 » 05 Mar 2015, 08:12

Hi Anne,

Yes we have been pretty vigilant in the poo picking up, and we have been taking it in turns to supervise toilet time! He does seem less interested in it already, at first as soon as he did a poo he turned straight around to eat it! We started the process of changing food over last night so we will see if that helps.

Thank You,

Sam and Gary x

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 05 Mar 2015, 13:10

They can be little monkeys, Sam! My two have always shot away from a pooh as if it might bite them! :lol: Sorry if I stated the obvious... but every little helps... Hopefully the change of food will sort it for you. :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Olly's Mum

Post by Olly's Mum » 16 Mar 2015, 21:12

Pleased to hear you are changing food, Bakers is not ideal for any dog, let alone a puppy. My whippet was a poo eater. I cleared up immediately and also taught him what 'leave' meant. To teach leave, hold a treat out in your palm. When he goes to take it, close your hand and say leave. Repeat over and over, until he stops trying to take it from your open hand. When he leaves the treat, give him a treat from your other hand and give a command, like 'take it'? It does work. I treated my whippet to pieces of cheese when telling him to leave the poo. Good luck.

HenrytheTux

Post by HenrytheTux » 25 Jun 2015, 09:35

We had exactly the same problem with Henry, it was a nightmare trying to fend him off while picking up the poo!
Here's what we did:
- Bought squeaky Kong balls to squeak and throw only when he had pooed (so it was a special treat)
- Loudly congratulated Henry when he pooed to get his attention, then squeaked ball and threw it
- Worked on 'sit' and 'lie down' and 'wait' commands (this is what I do now if he poos while on lead)
- Let him sniff other poo in the street rather than dragging him away, then distracted him with a smelly treat

Good luck!