Chill out time with puppy?

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
DoodleLover85

Chill out time with puppy?

Post by DoodleLover85 » 25 Mar 2015, 11:19

I don't know where I'd be without all my fellow doodle lovers to ask for advice with my pup! TIA!!! :D

I was wondering how you spend chill out time with your dog? My pup gets very overtired/over stimulated after his evening play time & goes MENTAL running around jumping & biting! When we sit down to watch TV I keep him on his lead while he eats a pigs ear or raw hide bone in his bed but this only buys us 20 minutes or so. Then he's up trying to chase the cat & jump on the sofa again!

Due to difficulties with house training we're trying to keep him utility room when we can't keep an eye on him as he never toilets in here! & when he gets over excited I have to put him in here to sleep. He will not relax & sleep in the living room with us as he's always on the go!

How can I enjoy quiet time with my pup? I don't want him to be alone in the utility room all the time but I can only play with him for so long!

We had borrowed a crate when he was younger but he's outgrown it now & we just cant afford £70 on a bigger one.

Bid

Re: Chill out time with puppy?

Post by Bid » 25 Mar 2015, 11:57

How old is he now?

Mine like different things. I have a toy that you can put a treat in it, and I hide that while they is out of the room, and then send them to find it. When they do they have to bring it to me to open it and give them the treats. They all love that. Daisy also likes a game of tug - we have rules that say the game ends if teeth touch skin, if the tug toy isn't brought back and if she doesn't let go when asked. As long as she sticks to those it is great fun - sometimes I win and sometimes I let her win - she loves it. Poppy is my dancing dog so I often spend quiet time teaching her little tricks, like crossing her paws, praying, sitting pretty etc. Beamish has grown into a great big softy so I can sit and cuddle him, or he will climb on the sofa to snuggle. It's seems to be a matter of finding out what they like and enjoying that.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

swardie

Post by swardie » 25 Mar 2015, 13:49

Hello. Agree with all Bid's suggestions, particularly about knowing what suits your Dood! When I think back, I realise that our Dex always snugged down in the evening, from the start, and that hasn't changed- and he still has his moment of sleepiness in the day, depending on what I'm up to! But not too often, as we're doing stuff! Maybe your Dood is a night owl? X

DoodleLover85

Post by DoodleLover85 » 25 Mar 2015, 18:50

He's 6 months old and loves playing tug etc. Before we go out I hide treats and he loves hunting for them.

The problem isn't really games to play with him, he definitely gets loads of playtime. It's when he gets overtired & moody, he doesnt know how to settle down and sleep (like most naughty toddlers!). Only time he is still is when he is eating :lol:

I had just wondered if there was a way to get him to settle and rest while with us rather than having to put him in different room cause i don't want him being on his own :(

He definitely behaves differently when he's over tired that just needing more exercise.

Toby's mummy

Post by Toby's mummy » 25 Mar 2015, 20:12

I have exactly the same thing with my 6 month old. I find he gets like a toddler having a tantrum when he's tired....really stroppy!! I just completely ignore him. No words, no eye contact, nothing at all and after a while (which seems to get sooner every time) he just lays down and rests and sometimes even naps. It's hard to ignore when they are bouncing around but it certainly works for us. Good luck

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Mar 2015, 22:03

Our Ianto didn't have an Off switch when he was a pup... He was manic in the evening, running around and biting me. When I joined the forum, I discovered Time Outs which helped so much. I hadn't realised that he was over-tired/over-stimulated and needed some down time. I used to put him in his play pen for a short time when he got overdone.

A behaviourist advised me to teach him to 'Settle' - I discovered I'd already done this because when we ate in the evening, I put him on his lead attached to the leg of the sofa! He was given a couple of soft toys and a toy to chew on and learned he had to calm down and entertain himself for a while.

I've had to crate the poor lad recently and, as he'd out-grown his original crate, I tootled off to Pets at Home - they have Value crates at the moment which are cheaper than the heavier, better quality ones. I checked them against the ones in The Range and they were still cheaper. So if you feel you need a crate, check them out (or maybe try eBay?) You never know, there may be a forum member who has a crate they no longer need...?

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 27 Mar 2015, 01:26

Good to teach them a settle.If he has a mat (piece of vet bed) to lie on in the other room perhaps use this in the lounge with you.

Re crates, when i was re homing an adult dood, I happened to find a humongous one Gumtree a few miles from me for £20. So worth a try in your area

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 27 Mar 2015, 18:54

This is quite normal for a pup this age and he will grow out of it.
Just stay calm and offer treats for good behaviour.
I went through thus with both my Doods and it is frustrating but thankfully does pass
Short time outs do help.
ImageImage
ImageImage