Hoooray

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Sarahdol75

Hoooray

Post by Sarahdol75 » 22 Apr 2015, 16:53

We have found a solution to Harleys running off and not coming back to us.

Harley has been on a long lead for ages now.

For the last few weeks, we have been cutting the long lead shorter and shorter, so for the last week, it is as short as a normal lead now, so we have been tucking it into his collar, as its so light weight, he hardly notices it is there. I think its just in his head that if the lead is attached, we can catch him easier and there is no point in him running off.

So we have been going over the field on an evening when there are a few dogs around but not manic like it is in the mornings, Harley is having a good run round and playing, and we just carry on walking through the field, and he starts to follow us, and when we get to the gate to go on to the road, he just follows and stays by our legs and walks nicely, with the lead still tucked in to his collar and has started to walk nicely all the way home on the paths aswell.

After a few weeks of this, I will start to take it off and see if he still behaves the same. Hopefully he is just starting to realise he can behave or he is growing up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He had a fab time at Coombe Abbey last sunday, slept all afternoon and his legs were running in his sleep, as he must have been dreaming about the day.

ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Re: Hoooray

Post by Doodle Dee » 29 Apr 2015, 08:21

well well see it all turns out right in the end

we worry and worry and worry

Happy owner = happy done

WELL DONE happy owner
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 29 Apr 2015, 18:19

I cant believe it, its been about a week now, and Harley is behaving absolutely brilliantly. He is coming back when called, not running off too far ahead, even when he sees another dog the other side of the field, he used to just bolt across to say hello, now he is running so far, and waiting for them to come to him or if I shout and and tell him to wait, he will wait until I catch up with him.

A lady in the field I havnt seen for ages, knew what his behaviour was like, said to me today, she thought I had one of those electronic collars on him, because he was so well behaved.

Its a joy to walk him again now, knowing that he will come back and at the end of the walk, he doesnt play up and run off, walks to the gate and he knows its time to go.
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 30 Apr 2015, 17:12

Great news, Sarah! I know how hard you've worked on Harley's recall, and now you're reaping the rewards. :D Good one, Harley! Keep it up, lad...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x