Puppy training

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Sparks

Re: Puppy training

Post by Sparks » 16 May 2015, 02:21

You are all a great help! She woje at 1.30 and tried really hard to get her to wee on a pad, she did anything but! Managed to catch a poo though :). She has nodded off on my lap now so will put her back in and hope she sleeps a bit longer. Tomorrow I get a new collar for the garden , the small I got is a bit big.

Sparks

Post by Sparks » 17 May 2015, 10:27

She is virtually toilet trained and has learnt "sit" :). Unfortunately my sister and nephew were round yesterday and taught her to be naughty while I was doing the dishes :evil: they showed me a video of my nephew rolling on the floor with her being encouraged to jump on and chew his hair and yap excitedly! So cross, she was really good and calm and now thinks that is how you play. I hope I can get it erased from her memory. Won't be asking them to puppysit.

Sparks

Post by Sparks » 21 May 2015, 19:30

Just thought I would update on the first week and ask for a bit more advice :). Daisy is doing well, hardly any accidents. Just wondering how long she should manage at night as I am shattered getting up. I slept through my early hours alarm one night and she wee'd in her crate :(. I find that if she goes to bed 10/11, she is up ready to play at 4/5 and I'm not. I did leave her frantically screaming last night and went to bed at 5am after failing to get her to sleep in the crate instead of my knee.

I am also impressed that she has learnt sit very well and paw occasionally. I haven't managed 'lie down' yet, she just stares at me. Also stay is not great. The biggest thing that I would like to achieve is 'leave' as she constantly chews my rug and sometimes my clothes or me! Oh and the kitchen units, trying to get the little caps of the screws. I worry about her trying to eat everything in sight, especially outside.... Grass, leaves, worms, mud! I am constantly pulling something out of her mouth.

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 May 2015, 19:37

When she has had all her vaccinations then puppy classes will be a big help with the training of down, stay etc - have you enrolled her at a class yet?

I don't get up in the night for my pups - I left them with a toilet area in their pen because puppies are hard work and I figured I needed my sleep. It doesnt seem to have done them any harm and they still got house trained in a reasonable time.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Sparks

Post by Sparks » 21 May 2015, 19:52

Her crate is big enough but the whole floor is vetbed. I am thinking that if I put a training pad in there she is more likely to eat it than wee on it! She has never wee'd on one yet. I am shattered though and being a single mother with MS, I need my sleep. I would just worry about going backwards with her after her doing so well. I am not long getting my slap back from my daughter. I have looked into a couple of puppy classes. The one that I prefer is a just turn up. They don't just do puppy training like a lot do but continue on to guiltily etc... I have been taking her everywhere in her carrier or my arms, including school run, the office, the kwon do! Went for a walk carrying her tonight. She is not the slightest bit timid of traffic and we life on a new development with diggers etc... Very confident.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 May 2015, 01:06

Ianto nearly finished me off when he was little - he used to cry in the night to go out. But I did find that it got better quite quickly, from 3 am at first he started to want out at 4 am, and then it would be 5 am... so as his bladder got bigger he could wait for longer.
If she is almost house-trained, it sounds as if she really doesn't want to 'go' indoors and may just cry and wake you anyway... But if you slept through your alarm and she hadn't woken you, it would be better for your health to get your sleep. I never set my alarm for Iant, he just used to cry or yelp very loudly and as the OH had to be able to function at work, I needed to keep the puppy quiet... :(
(I used to put newspaper in his play pen as he would definitely have trashed a puppy pad! :roll: )
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Sparks

Post by Sparks » 22 May 2015, 14:31

She slept from midnight to 6.30am without an accident! :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 May 2015, 20:57

Result!! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x