Florence is turning into a really barky girl

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
suebedo

Florence is turning into a really barky girl

Post by suebedo » 18 May 2015, 12:52

Florence has always been the barkier of our two - Fozzie rarely makes a noise. It's getting to the stage now we're she can get herself into a state and bark incessantly.

We went to Paws in the Park last weekend and Fozzie loves doing the Spalsh and Dash. That means him going into the queue without her -OH takes Fozz and I sit down with Flo. From the second they are parted she starts and doesn't stop until they are together again.

Yesterday morning, we had to go to different places on the show ground and if you are walking with her she is at least quiet - maybe she can't bark and walk! What I did find though was that she was quite nervous of "stuff", some of which I couldn't even see. She stopped at the ice cream van (they don't like ice cream so she wasn't trying to make me buy some), then at a shadow.

The two things are no doubt connected - she must feel more secure with Fozzie there, but how do I make her feel more secure so that she shuts up! My ears hurt and she must be feeling so sad :(

Any ideas please?

Pollydoodle

Re: Florence is turning into a really barky girl

Post by Pollydoodle » 23 May 2015, 01:31

Hi Sue, just noticed yr post.
No expert but perhaps she is not barking when walking as she is so busy looking out for scary items etc.or even looking for Fozzie in between being frightened :? Not sure how long been going on but think there is a teenage? +14 months stage where they can start to present the fears /uncertainties you describe. Guess she is dependant on Fozzie so perhaps even doing things with them each on their own ,even in the garden to try get her to be 'brave'on her own.
Hmm does she like to carry a ball or a toy, if so bit more tricky to bark when your gob is full :D , make that more tricky to bark loudly!
How is she if you take her off doing some work / game, so she is concentrating rather than watching Fozzie walk off and she starting to fret as he goes.. thinking out loud here :roll: :oops:

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 24 May 2015, 09:32

I have noticed it getting worse gradually for probably 6 months or so thinking back, but it didn't strike me as a problem until the weekend. I think I'm going to have to wait until we have moved house which will hopefully be in 3 - 4 weeks so that we have plenty of time to spend with them individually. We don't have jobs when we move so we will both be at home with them until I have found a job.

I think working with Florence without Fozz around is a good idea, build up her confidence without him around.

Thanks xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 May 2015, 21:44

I know they are not littermates, but they are close in age - it is a typical littermate issue, and it's why when you have 2 pups close in age trainers recommend that all their training/exercise/playing/rest time etc is done separately. Do you think she might cope better if she has something to occupy her when Fozzie is not close by? Also, what about doing things gradually - so she is with you but can still see him, and building up to being totally separate? Does it make a difference if she is the one to walk away rather than Fozzie?

I've tried googling "Bonded pairs" and there is a lot of info, but not many suggestions! :roll:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 24 May 2015, 23:08

Thanks Bid. I thought that it sounded like the litter mate issue. I did lots of work with them as puppies so that they were walked separately etc. as I was aware of the risks. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough :(

I think that being with the dog walker has probably made things worse for them as they are with other dogs as well and if she feels a bit nervous will go to Fozz for reassurance as we are not there. when I think back to the few times I'm at home when the dog walker arrives, Flo is very very excited and I have never heard her bark like it with us - ever!!

Lots of things to think about I think so that when we have moved, I can put a plan in place!

Thanks guys xx

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 24 May 2015, 23:20

Bid wrote:....I've tried googling "Bonded pairs" and there is a lot of info, but not many suggestions! :roll:
Bid,not even sure I want to contemplate, even for half a second, :shock: as to what surfaced in your google search! :lol: :roll:

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 24 May 2015, 23:43

Oh my :shock: :shock: :shock: , didn't see that one coming :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 May 2015, 20:59

PMSL! :lol: :lol: I made sure I put "dog" in my search!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron