Growl

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
dexysback

Growl

Post by dexysback » 31 May 2015, 18:56

Dexter as always been good with grandchildren ,but today he was lying on sofa, and my 2 year old granddaughter doesn't leave him alone ,she doesn't hurt him but she's in he's face trying to hug him. I know Dexter doesn't like being fussed that much ,and he did growl at her so I will have to be on my guard from no on ,I don't now if its cause he's getting older or what, such a worry. He did move away after so that was good he new he had done wrong .I did not shout at him because I heard you shouldn't tell them off for a growl cause its them warning them off .
ImageImage

suebedo

Re: Growl

Post by suebedo » 31 May 2015, 19:41

Dexter was trying his hardest to do the right thing. He growled to say enough, I don't like this. The next stage could easily have been a bite. He may well have bared his teeth which you may not have noticed, I'm sure I have read children often mis-read this clear go away signal from a dog as a smiling happy face!!

He was doing nothing wrong and you did the right thing by not telling him off.

As your granddaughter is so young, you will have to be constantly vigilant to stop her fussing over Dexter when she is round - in time she will learn when enough is enough but she is nowhere near that yet. He also needs somewhere he can go to get away from her.

Important lessons for her that will last a lifetime. xx

linny

Post by linny » 01 Jun 2015, 12:32

I was just wondering Elaine if Dex might be out of sorts?
You have mentioned recently that he seems extra tired and now the growling.
Perhaps an M.O.T with the vet might be an idea.?

Ambrose will be seven in August and we have noticed that he's less tolerant of the little Grandchildren....he hasn't threatened in any way but does take himself off to a quiet place out of the reach of little people.

Bren

Post by Bren » 01 Jun 2015, 18:37

When we were in Spain Zig and Bow were tied up to the trailer a man came round and asked if he could stroke them, I said yes, Then he came back with his wife she put her arms round Bows neck and was sort of stroking him saying oh you are lovely.Before I could say don't lean over him like that. He backed away from her then started to bark and growl at her. I have never known Bow to growl at anyone I don't know what she did to him but he would not calm down untill she went away.
It just shows you can never be sure.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 01 Jun 2015, 19:39

Hi Elaine

Dexter has used his best method of communication here as he doesn't have the words"go away and leave me alone"
A growl is fine but then the hoomans must intervene and stop the behaviour that caused the growl.
You need to ensure the grandchild does not get close to Dexter at all as now the warning has been given he may consider the next step which is a bite and that would be disastrous.
So child and dog must be kept apart - sorry but you need to protect both.

Give it a few weeks then very controlled introductions again. I know both a precious to you Elaine so I'm afraid it's hard work for you to manage the greetings
ImageImage
ImageImage

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 01 Jun 2015, 21:24

It is strange for Dexter to act like that ,but he is a funny dog ,he loves people and kids ,but he likes fuss on he's terms. It is hard to keep her away from him cause moved into flat ,but I keep eye on her and tell her to stay away from him. It is a shame cause she loves him ,but even the cat hides when she comes not that she's hurt her but always touching her. Dexter likes he's own space when relaxing.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 Jun 2015, 08:08

I agree with the others - Dexter was being incredibly controlled by giving his warning - a testament to his good unbringing :D You do need to be very careful though, and watch any interaction with the little girl and Dexter from now on as he is clearly uncomfortable with her in close proximity :(
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron