3 year old doodle has startec nipping im worried please help

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
tippy

3 year old doodle has startec nipping im worried please help

Post by tippy » 08 Jul 2015, 17:23

my 3 yo labradoodle has just started nipping and im really worried he turned and snapped at my friend little boy when we were out walking the other night he jumped up at my sons friend and bit his arm(he had a padded coat on) and this morning he snapped at my baby grandaughter but she did pull him she has done this many times before and hes never bothered this seems to be a new behaviour. ive bought a soft muzzle but i really dont want to use it but im at a complete loss as to what has caused this and how to stop it!

Sparks

Re: 3 year old doodle has startec nipping im worried please

Post by Sparks » 08 Jul 2015, 22:15

Maybe something is bothering him. Maybe a vet check is worthwhile.

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Jul 2015, 00:09

I agree - a vet check is the first place to start. A dog doesn't start to nip without a reason - he could be feeling uncomfortable, or maybe something has happened to make him feel uncomfortable around children. Perhaps your could ask your vet for a referreral to a behaviourist ( if referred by a vet it would probably be covered by your insurance if you have some).

Re the muzzle, soft ones are not terrible effective and not safe for the dog - the plastic basket ones are much more reliable.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 09 Jul 2015, 20:00

Hi, agree , is very unusual for a dog to suddenly start nipping. Vet visit before too much harm is done, both for kids and his sake. Be sad to lose him. Pls be careful.
Plus if his ears are sore and you find you want to add the muzzle, he may feel more aggrieved with strap behind his ears. Do get him used to the muzzle first.I hope you do not need it and the vet visit solves the issue.