A cure for frenzied barking????

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Ianto!

A cure for frenzied barking????

Post by Ianto! » 17 Aug 2015, 22:34

Well, after trying everything I could think of to stop Ianto barking like crazy at the window at any and everybody, I took the advice of some friends in the South & West Yorkshire Meet Group.... Instead of telling him to "Stop", "Be quiet" or saying "Enough!!" - I thanked him. Just a "Good boy! Thank you." And it worked :shock: He just stood at the window, tail wagging furiously....

This has happened several times; instead of him hopping up and down like a mad thing, aggravating his Hip Dysplasia, throwing himself at the glass and creating Doodle Nose Art - a quiet and happy Dood. :D

I have yet to test this out with the postman though - I'm not asking for miracles!! :roll:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Re: A cure for frenzied barking????

Post by Pollydoodle » 17 Aug 2015, 22:56

Made me smile :D
I use "thank you". Wonder if it is due to the different tone used as " No " etc might sound as if we are joining in with the frenzied 'guarding'? :? :roll: It does work with the postman too... eventually and depending if it was a full moon the night before etc :lol:
Cavaet: Am sure she waits until I am on a conf call and then she knows I am not coming to say "Thank you" and launches into,what sounds like, the full show.

linny

Post by linny » 18 Aug 2015, 10:36

When you find an answer to the postie guys please let me know.
I have five that go into frenzied barking and one that "sings"....it's horrendous.

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 19 Aug 2015, 09:55

I read somewhere about the thanking your dog (probably on here); they are barking to alert you that there is danger and once you acknowledge it and stop telling them off they can relax. Kind of makes sense but, hey, if it works.

~Are you friendly with your postman, could they be introduced with postie giving treats so he/she isn't seen as a threat that has to be chased off every day?
ImageImage

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 19 Aug 2015, 18:06

Hi,

So next time then, when Oscar escapes the front door and makes a frenzied, barking leap at the postman, I shall kindly say "thankyou Oscar", and lead him in doors. I'm not sure of what the Postman would think of this more layed back and friendly approach, and whether we would ever get our letters delivered in a timely fashion in future. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Oscar & hoomans.

p.s Oscar's off to the seaside at the weekend to have a go at being a furry fish.. :lol: :lol:

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Aug 2015, 20:03

Oh, he loves the postman, Padster! Since he was a tiny pup, I have been accosting the posties and getting them to give him treats.... I think that may be where I went wrong!! :roll: If we see any of them out on our travels, he can't wait to get to them for a fuss... (newbies have ben known to cringe until I reassure them that he's just ultra friendly.) There is no problem outdoors. It's indoors that the problem occurs..... :shock:

I even tried it with the 'opening the conservatory doors late at night' scenario - same result! Once I thank him, he loses all interest in barking at shadows, and trots back inside.... :o Could my wee pirate be growing up? Or (more likely) is he lulling me into a false sense of security?? :roll:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
Happy hols, Oscar!