Stairs

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Lawsyd

Stairs

Post by Lawsyd » 12 Sep 2015, 18:08

Sooty seems to be training well (we think). She knows her name; knows to sit; will only poo & (usually) wee in the garden; & is starting to be lead trained around the garden & on our driveway. One problem she has is a major fear of is the internal stairs. I can well understand how a young (now 12 weeks old) puppy looks up a flight of stairs and suffers a loss of confidence - or looks down a flight of stairs and just sees a steep cliff - but any tips on encouraging Sooty up the 15 or so stairs between our downstairs & upstairs hallways?

annabell22

Re: Stairs

Post by annabell22 » 12 Sep 2015, 18:49

Glad to hear Sooty is settling in well. I really wouldn't wouldn't worry too much about training her on the stairs. Advice is to prevent puppies climbing up and down stairs and jumping for their first 12 months whilst they are still growing so to be honest keeping her off the stairs would be the issue! When Monty was younger he just ignored the stairs as they obviously seemed too big a hurdle for him to tackle and then one day he just walked up and tried for himself. He did then have a problem getting back down again lol and we just tempted him with a treat or two and he finally waddled down. Even now we try and carry him upstairs if he really has to come up (his domain is downstairs only). He has been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia though so we are extra cautious about this. Perhaps if Sooty is fearful try tempting her over to the bottom of the stairs with treats and getting her to just put a paw or two up a few steps and then give the treat. I wouldn't be encouraging her to climb though as if she discovers she can do it then there may be no stopping her! You could carry her up and down if needed and give treats either end so she isn't scared of the steps themselves and knows there's nothing bad at the top.

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 13 Sep 2015, 09:56

I'm afraid Oscar has free run of the house :D , and can very often be found asleep on the hooman beds :roll: . In the early days though, we had a child stair gate at the bottom, and didn't encourage climbing, I think we were more worried about him falling :( . Eventually when he was bigger, we took it away, at first, he would only go up and not down, but soon got the hang of it. Would keep stairs out of bounds at the moment.

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

Lawsyd

Post by Lawsyd » 13 Sep 2015, 11:56

Thanks for both of the replies so far. After reading the replies & discussing it with 'the boss' I think that stairs will have to come much further down the age / training schedule.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 13 Sep 2015, 17:06

wouldn't worry - sometimes I wish lulu hadn't learned the stairs but it was one of the first things she tried even squeezing through the child gate !
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 14 Sep 2015, 21:26

I don't think you're meant to let puppies go up and down stairs, due to their joints still forming. George never used to like stairs and we discouraged him from using them and carried him up and downstairs until he was too heavy to.
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Sep 2015, 00:00

Another one of the 'No Stairs Brigade' here... We were very strict about not letting our Ianto use the stairs or even the steps up into the garden when he was a puppy, we also made sure that we always lifted him in and out of the car... It turned out to be good training for us, as we still have to do it - he has Hip Dysplasia. We didn't find out about it until he was 13 months old, and were grateful that we hadn't caused further damage to his joints by allowing him to leap in and out of the car, or negotiate stairs.
Sounds like Sooty is a bright little dood who is thriving on all the love and attention she is receiving! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x