Puppy Socialization Classes - A Disaster!

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Bid

Re: Puppy Socialization Classes - A Disaster!

Post by Bid » 12 Oct 2015, 08:03

They don't understand the concept of "no" but they certainly learn the tone whicn means you are not happy with what they are doing. To the dog "No" is what is called a non-rewarding marker, similar to a clicker which is a rewarding marker. Just like with a clicker it is vital to get the timing just right or you can end up with a lot of confusion when the dog associates it with the wrong part of the action.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 12 Oct 2015, 08:07

I totally agree with Liz.
With dogs and children they need to know, firstly where the boundaries are. Secondly that actions have consequences, both good and bad and thirdly that you are in charge. If you're not then they are and that's not good or safe.
Consequences as Liz says, should just be your vocal displeasure or time out/play stops and never cruel or frightening. A sharp "no" or "uh-uh" will show them you are not happy and let's face it- they want to please. Show them what they should be doing or can have quickly and praise them highly for that. It's no good telling them off when they return from absconding (and wouldn't I know), or if you find a mess on the floor as that makes no sense to them unless you catch them in the act. Asking for a desired behaviour can also distract them out of it and get you back in control.
Always forgive quickly and make friends and have a cuddle afterwards.
I like the "Catch 'em being good" approach where you praise them when they are doing something good however small and then you're not always on their back.
By you being in charge I don't mean alpha or pack leader or being over dominant as I don't subscribe to those ideas (I understand they've been discredited). I mean that they look to you and want to please to and pay attention to what you're asking.

They all have their moments and there are times to ignore, such as when they squeak or bark for attention.
That's what I think anyway and they'll be others who disagree I'm sure but you will find your own approach from following your own instincts and picking the good bits that work for you and your dog. Xxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Lawsyd

Post by Lawsyd » 12 Oct 2015, 09:25

Thanks to everybody who has contributed to this thread. Here are a few updates:-

1. Despite the Terms & Conditions saying otherwise, we got a full refund from the owners of the classes - this followed an email from my wife & a brief telephone conversation with the owner. Although we are pleased to have our money back, this was certainly not what our complaint was primarily about.

2. Sooty has been - & continues to be - learning socialization by meeting dogs of various sizes & ages in the local park. It is amazing how often a polite & friendly word to another dog owner will usually produce a response of 'By all means let your puppy have a run around with our dog. If your puppy gets too much, ours will soon let her know.' Sooty is quickly learning that some dogs do want to play and, more importantly, that others just want to be left alone.

3. Yesterday Sooty met the sand & sea for the first time (we live about 50 miles inland) & she loved it. We were more wary than in the local park regarding keeping her on the lead, but the same general approach I mentioned in point 2. worked every bit as well as it does locally.