Toilet and crate training

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Rob-T

Toilet and crate training

Post by Rob-T » 08 Oct 2015, 11:25

Looking for a little advice if anyone can help. A few weeks ago during a bout of insanity I finally gave in to pressure from others in the house and got a second dog ( she's lovely really and I don't regret it). She will now be 12 weeks old and doing well. Our other dog, both are doodles, will be 2 years old later this month. We have had several dogs over the years, all raised from puppies, so well aware of the trials and tribulations of toilet training. Our older dog though was the first I had ever used a crate with, got to admit I was very pleased with how things went as she didn't seem to develop any bad habits like chewing inappropriate items and toilet training seemed to happen without any problems. I have read, and please correct me if this is wrong, that access to the crate should be unlimited, that the puppy should be able to pop in and out during the day as she wishes and that it is a good idea to feed her in the crate so she will associate it with good things. Also read that dogs will not use their sleeping area as a toilet area unless really desperate. Slight problem I've got is that our puppy doesn't seem to have read that last bit. She is pretty good overnight, because she is still so young I do get up about 3am to take her out for the toilet, then breakfast is around 6.30am. Her bedding is usually dry and unsoiled overnight but on several occasions now we have caught her apparently deliberately going into her crate during the day to urinate, this is despite being taken outside on very regular basis. She very rarely has "accidents" in other areas of the house, all the bedding from her crate is washed immediately we notice it is wet, crate itself is washed and deodorised so there shouldn't be any lingering smells to encourage her to use it as a toilet. Just seems a bit strange. So, what to do? Do I restrict access to her crate during the day for a few days to try and break the habit.
Thanks for any replies.
Rob

Ianto!

Re: Toilet and crate training

Post by Ianto! » 08 Oct 2015, 22:04

I don't have any experience of this, Rob, so can't advise on how to stop it - someone will be along soon who knows.... but in the mean time, are you making sure that you wash the bedding in some sort of biological washing powder - and not using a bleach-type solution to clean the crate, as this can remind them of urine and encourage them to soil in the same place.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Rob-T

Post by Rob-T » 08 Oct 2015, 22:47

Thanks Anne, yes using proper deodoriser and cleaner for the crate. The bedding (vet bed material) is washed according to instructions, can't remember offhand the exact advice, though think it might be not to use biological powder. That's the other half's department, I'm banned from the washing machine!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Oct 2015, 23:44

Well, that's my little box of tricks empty! :D Though come to think of it, our Wyre did take to slinking off for a sneaky pooh behind the sofa when he thought we weren't looking... We'd never told him off for 'getting busy' indoors, but he did like to hide. We took to watching him like a hawk, between trips outside... He picked up toilet-training much quicker than Ianto, as he had a 'big brother' to learn from - they now tend to 'synchronise'!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
(My OH managed to get himself banned from the washing machine by washing all the baby's whites with a pair of dark green dungarees... :evil: )

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 09 Oct 2015, 07:52

I wonder what made her associate the crate and going to the toilet?

I didn't use the crate (well I did for half an evening) but when it was up Lulu did go into it for playing and getting away from everything, so she did like it but not for sleeping (that's another story). I think if you restrict the crate she may get out of the habit of going in there. Perhaps just keeping your eye out for when she is going in there. As you know dogs usually sniff around and walk around the place where they are going to go (if it is a "busy" thing she is doing) Perhaps she is happy doing wees!

If you perhaps pretend there is no crate for her and keep a watchful eye on her (I know how difficult it is) as we non-craters had to do and as she does it - take her out quickly and put her on a puppy pad or something that is near she can go on. She is still young but obviously habits should be broken, maybe she isn't sure what to do if caught short!

Good luck and let us know if you come up with something concrete
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 09 Oct 2015, 08:12

I found that once they've weed somewhere and not been corrected they tend to think it's ok to go there- as much habit as smell. I found that she thought it was ok if nobody said anything.
Tess did a wee in my dining room without me catching her and I cleaned it all up with washing powder and surgical spirit. She then tried again and this time I caught her. Now we all know you don't tell them off but when caught in the act, a bit like you would if you caught them chewing the table leg, I did a high pitched, alarming, not cross- "Uh-uh-uh! No wee-wees! Wee-wees out!" "Out" being what I say for going out the back door. Then picked her up and put her out. She never went there again. It depends on watching like a hawk of course. The washing powder is for the crate as well as the bedding.
Tess weed in her bed a couple of times and it is supposed to go against their nature but I think it might be because it soft like grass or a pile of leaves and has smells to it. She never goes on anything hard or the pavement.
Good luck- I am sure she'll get it soon. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Rob-T

Post by Rob-T » 09 Oct 2015, 10:24

Thanks to all who have replied. It does seem a bit strange, again overnight last night bedding was clean and dry. That was from about 11.30 last night till 3.30am when I got up to take her out then till 6.30 this morning. That seems to be happening on a regular basis now so I can't understand this nipping in for a quick pee during the day. It hasn't happened every day and I don't want her to get in the habit of doing that. As most of you have said it is a case of watching closely and taking out at very regular intervals. She has only been with us for three weeks and is making progress.
Rob

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 09 Oct 2015, 21:46

Great she is doing well overnight with you getting up to take her out :D
This may sound silly but just be sure she knows where the door for outside is for use during the day . Guess you do this already,if she wakes from a snooze encourage her to walk outside herself etc.
Like others have need to watch her like a hawk for a few days.

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 10 Oct 2015, 18:07

I feel your pain as Yoshi, our 9 month old Aussie used to pee in his bed as a puppy - probably up until about 4/5 months. I used to catch him deliberately going in his crate for a wee on his vet bed. If this wasn't available, he'd go for a rug. He would also go outside in the garden as normal.

I think this stems from the fact he thought it was ok, as the texture felt a little like grass. He rarely went on the stone or wooden floors.

The worst misdemeanour, was when he jumped up and pooped on our posh, velvet footstool. I'm sure this was intentional.

I'm afraid there was no magic solution, apart from the ideas above, and he just grew out of it in time.