Doodle Straining To Get At Traffic

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Lawsyd

Doodle Straining To Get At Traffic

Post by Lawsyd » 06 Nov 2015, 16:38

Well, sooty is 4 1/2 months old now &, for the most part, is training well. Sure she can be a bit bitey or cloth-eared when the mood takes, but that isn't too often. We do, however, have one massive worry. Whenever a car drives past her (well about 90% of the time) Sooty will strain on her lead to get at the car. So far we have managed to stop her but I can foresee at least three sad, or worse scenarios:-

1) She strains her neck (or breaks her neck) trying to get at the car.
2) The lead will slip from our hands, leading to a serious accident &, or, Sooty's death.
3) The lead will snap, leading to an item 2) situation.

We live on a side road which is quite quiet but which is about 100 yards from a very busy main road.

The pulling occurs whether on a training lead or an extendable lead.

So, is Sooty straining on the lead because she is panicking, or do you think that Sooty sees cars as something to play chase with?

Any advice is, as always, welcome.

dexysback

Re: Doodle Straining To Get At Traffic

Post by dexysback » 06 Nov 2015, 19:14

My sister re-homed a rescue dog a collie cross whippet ,we think lovely dog well behaved but mad on traffic even bikes .She is also worried about this ,and only lets her off away from traffic,hope you can find away to stop it.
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 06 Nov 2015, 21:31

Without seeing her it's hard to say, but a lot of dogs do chase cars. There is a lot of good advice here http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/car-ch ... dogs-habit, and given he is so young I would agree with getting a professional in to advise - a behaviourist rather than a trainer - you can find good ones here ... http://www.apbc.org.uk/

As a side note, it is really not safe to use a retractable lead by a road - even with dogs not interested in traffic, but more so with a dog that is. The mechanisms are not fail-safe, and if it failed your worst case scenario could happen.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 07 Nov 2015, 16:42

Totally agree with Bid,you do need the help of a good behaviourist,but when I deal with this type of problem I do use this technique.Extending leads are of no us,get a good quality training line (at least 20ft long).As you live in a side road set off towards the main road with the training lead on.I always use a check collar.No discipline and run towards the main road giving your dog lots of slack lead,before she sees a car call her and run back towards home with lots of encouragement.Absolutely no discipline mad play is what you want,turn back towards road,repeat two or three times.Now back towards road,as soon as she sees a car before she lunges run back towards home with lots of fuss.The reason for this exercise is taking her thoughts off cars and on play,play.play.This part is difficult,as humans we dwell on problem areas in everyday life,its important when working with your dog to believe that today your dog is not going to even look at cars.Positive thoughts.Good luck,hope you have success,but a good behaviourist might still be needed.Cheers Alan

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 08 Nov 2015, 07:49

Just a second thought about your problem.Because you will not have an experienced trainer/behaviourist with you,for safety use a good quality normal collar not a slip collar.Remember positive thoughts at all times.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Nov 2015, 16:12

I'd use a harness, one that fastens at the front - a Mekuti for preference, as they are very sturdy. No way will the dog be able to slip out of it, and every time they pull they will be turned round to face you. Have a look at Mekuti on Google.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Nov 2015, 19:06

They can step backwards out of a mekuti - dogs can get backwards out of almost all harnesses if they want. When walking dogs that are at risk, I use a y-front style harness (they give the best fit) and a flat collar, with the lead attached to the harness plus an extention that goes from the lead to the collar. Still not 100% secure, but the best I can do!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Nov 2015, 19:27

The Mekuti does have a two ended lead to attach to the collar as well - and a Y front, at least lola's small one does?...
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)