Leaping Up!

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Jojo123

Leaping Up!

Post by Jojo123 » 13 Dec 2015, 16:05

Hedley has been with us 2 weeks and is settling well. When he has his crazy, puppy excited few mins he leaps up grabbing hands, clothes and goes for faces. How do we discourage this properly bearing in mind he's a baby si don't want to shout or scold but encourage normal development?
Jo

Hyster

Re: Leaping Up!

Post by Hyster » 13 Dec 2015, 23:04

I'd touch my side and invite him to jump up an put his paws on me (saying "touch"), treat him when he does this and the move away slightly so he drops back down (saying "down") treat him again.

He will quickly learn to put his paws on you at the command "touch" and will understand the command "down", all in a positive way.

I'm not a trainer btw, that is just how I was shown how to do it by a dog trainer.

Bid

Post by Bid » 14 Dec 2015, 20:07

It is always easier to tell a pup what you want him to do than tell him not to do something, so I would pick on something to reward like a "sit" and ask for that as an alternative behaviour.

Also, those crazy moments are often when the pup is too tired and needs to settle for a nap, but he doesn't know that. I usually pop them in their pen or crate with a stuffed frozen kong at that point - the kong means it is not a punishment, and they usually drop off to sleep after some licking and chewing. Chewing releases a chemical that makes them feel happy and content so the kong is your friend!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 15 Dec 2015, 10:55

If you go to Introductions there is a thread entitled Energetic pup that covers similar ground and may be helpful to you. Re posting pix, got to General discussions.