including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Potty problems!
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 08:19 

So Harvey had to be trained to go inside until a week after his second jab (he can go out on Tuesday!) as our garden is shared. We got him a big tray with two puppy pads on it. Initially it was quite hard work but he adjusted quickly and within a few days was trained into his pads, since he has had very few minor mistakes where either he accidentally went right off the tray while standing on the tray but not completely on or if he doesn't have access to the tray while hyper (our own fault).

However now he has a new quirk! I think because when he goes for a poo we pick it up immediately and change the pad, but I am not sure. If left unattended even for a few minutes he will poo, then pick it up and try to move it onto the carpet or something! Yesterday I was in the kitchen and left him right outside with his dinner and shut the door as the oil was splattering and I was getting things in and out of a very hot oven. A few minutes later I hear him scratch and whine at the door...there he is, his poo placed off his tray on the carpet and the carpet with a stain where the poo once was. I am not sure why he is doing this or how to stop it...from Tuesday I would love to transition the toilet training to going outside instead for his poos but I don't mind him going for his wee inside because it is so frequent and I want to give him more independence so he doesn't have separation anxiety and thinks the only way he can go is if I'm around to let him out

Post subject: Re: Potty problems!
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 09:27 

I have heArd of them eating it but giving it to you!!!!' Maybe it is a present as he knows he gets your attention when he does it

Or it may be a present for you as he loves you (instead of bringing a ball)

I googled it and I think you can put something on the poo or something. Sorry I couldn't copy the links.

I'm sorry I have no idea but I'm sure that more people will come back to you about it

ImageImage

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2016, 10:16 

Thanks! I'm so confused about it...I meant the tray with the stain where it once was. So he goes in the right place but then moves it off

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2016, 22:43 

I've only just seen your post, o4d, so maybe you've solved it now... But, our doods are remarkably bright. He will have picked up (excuse the pun) on you moving his poohs... and to be honest, once he starts cocking his leg, you really don't want him to be 'feeling independent' about wee-ing in the house! Hopefully, you will have had time to get the little lad used to going 'potty' in the garden by now - but I wouldn't encourage him to keep using the pads indoors.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2016, 12:45 

I agree. You only want to use pads in the very early days. The aim is to train the pup to wait to go outside. This is why young pups need lots of trips outside and someone around to do this. I hope you are now able to get him out so that he can learn the "no wee inside" rule soon. Anny

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 14:33 

Hi! Sorry I've been a bit inactive lately - a lot going on in life. I was only using the pads until Harvey was good with his vaccines as our garden is shared with a few people including some dogs. I have been trying very hard to make Harvey go outside but he does not like to go anywhere but his pads. His bladder is very strong so he will hold it for ages. We went to a puppy party yesterday at the local veterinary hospital and for 2.5 hours he held it in and did not go outside even with a lot of encouragement and as soon as we got back in straight to his pad...currently in the process of looking for an older, friendly dog who lives nearby to go on walks with in the hopes Harvey may copy him/her going outside! Trying to very strongly associate a word with when he goes to try and get him to go outside now, fingers crossed

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2016, 15:41 

Here's a thought, if you have time over the weekend, remove the pads completely, take him out to the garden, every hour or so( on lead) and reward him every time he does a wee. He's obviously a good, clever boy. It's a bit like going back to basics really. Of course you may be fine about him using pads indoors,in which case he's learned to do the right thing already. However, once he starts cocking his leg, at around 6months you certainly won't want him to wee indoors! Anny

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2016, 08:23 

There are a couple of things you could try - one is to put the pads outside. The other is to give pooing and peeing a command - it means you have to be there when he does it, but it really works. With my pups I reward them after pooing and peeing repeating my command, so after a while I could take them outside and remind them why there were there. Even to this day they will all pee and poo when asked if I need them to - at bedtime I take them all in the garden and tell them to "hurry up" and they all squat to pee!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2016, 11:31 

Like Bid I found having a key word really helped with the training and even now at 8 years old when I take these 2 out for their night time relief I just say "Be Quick"......nothing else. Jazz is so dizzy, she can mither me when she wants to go out for a wee but as soon as the door opens she seems to forget what we are out there for so saying "Be Quick" reminds her what we went out for!!!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2016, 14:46 

Thanks for the replies! Currently trying word association as suggested. Will keep you posted!