Introducing to a crate

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
o4d

Introducing to a crate

Post by o4d » 10 Apr 2016, 14:48

So Harvey has a "play pen" that I have discovered is not hugely safe as his paws can get trapped in the gaps if he jumps on it. I have contacted the seller and can return it. I regret not going for crate training but the pen essentially became his crate in terms of sleeping and toilet training. For a few reasons now I'm thinking of introducing him to a crate (it's been ordered now!) and am curious if anyone can give advice on the best way to transition him to the crate? In particular I want to get him used to it for travelling and I also want to change where he sleeps which is in his pen currently. Any advice?

harleyboy53

Re: Introducing to a crate

Post by harleyboy53 » 11 Apr 2016, 11:13

Hi,have a look at my post on crate training in the training section.Hope it helps,in the car make the crate a fun place to be,play games,lots of toys,some clothing with your scent for security.Short trips to begin with ,lots of fuss and encouragement,nothing negative.Good luck.

o4d

Post by o4d » 16 Apr 2016, 22:34

Thanks for your reply! The crate I ordered is bloody enormous (I thought it would be much smaller!) Will have a look at your post - sorry for the inactivity lately. So far he doesn't mind his crate too much but isn't the biggest fan.

harleyboy53

Post by harleyboy53 » 17 Apr 2016, 10:00

If the crate is too big try blocking off a section with board or a piece of wood,they can get a bit lost if there is too much space in the crate.Remember its not a play area but more a sanctuary for them to feel secure in.Always keep an eye on him in the early stages in case he gets a bit frantic.It was much easier with my pup as she had to spend her first 5 days at the vet and you can guess the amount of attention an 8 week old pup got from all the nurses.Not the crate training I planned but hey ho.