including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 02:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: barking every time left alone...HELP
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2016, 22:56 

Hi, I just wanted a few tips on barking. Archie is about 6 months old and is still having issues with barking every time we leave a room and he is left by himself.

We currently still use a baby gate for him just because we do not like leaving him to wander the house alone just yet while there are so many small things he might chew on and choke on. Therefore every time any of us leave the room, even for 5 minutes behind the gate, he howls and barks the entire time. We have tried leaving him until he stops but we find it difficult to let him do it longer than 10 minutes, when we have neighbours. A lot of people have suggested leaving him with a Kong or lots of toys to occupy him and just leave him while he is calm and relaxed for a small amount of time and gradually increasing, however he seems to know we are just about to leave and almost gets too anxious to play or chew on his toys and instead ignores them and tries to follow us out, before barking and crying at the gate once we have left.

I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue with their puppy, as I am a little worried it is going to be quite difficult to correct, now that Archie is already about 6 months old. I do not want a dog with separation anxiety.

Thanks for any tips given!

Post subject: Re: barking every time left alone...HELP
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 07:46 

I'm not to good with this but I'm sure it had been asked before. I think you have to teach him the word silence. I'm sure I will be corrected. Every Time he doesn't mark read him with sshh or something. So he gets treated when he is quiet rather than told off when he is noisy. Good luck. I'm trying to do that but forget to do it when she is good

ImageImage

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2016, 20:53 

You have my sympathies. It's a stressful problem.
I take Daisy to work with me and she is In my office a lot. She knows the drill, I am in and out and for different than amounts of time and she knows she can't always come.
I got her used to this from a young age so she is usually fine with it but sometimes, if she hasn't been in for a few days, she takes a while to settle down and whines a bit. To help her I make a point of ignoring her and walking in and out several times. I don't look at her and I take no notice of any whining and once she settles, without whining and is laying down quietly or chewing a toy, She then gets a treat or pat but with minimal fuss.
I wonder if Archie needs a similar approach. You coukd try popping in and out of the room he is in, completely ignoring him. He might get the idea you aren't gone long and if you are very calm he might just give up. Then, the second he is totally calm, offer a treat and repeat! You coukd try looking like you are going and then don't, be gone only seconds etc. Also, do you ignore him when you are in the room? I know it sounds horrible but it helps calm Daisy sometimes. She knows if she wants a fuss she has to settle down.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 09:50 

Good advice above. I would add the idea of chucking a handful of frozen peas on the floor to hoover up. I use a Kong wobbler when I go out and Tess doesn't bat an eyelid- she thinks it's great.
Also the idea about treating when calm is superb but may I suggest making sure you ask him to "Settle down now" and Good boy-calm" as you treat him? Then, when you ask him to settle down and be calm, he will flop down in a heap with a sigh and know what you are asking for. It takes time and consistently but will work eventually and be the most useful thing you ever taught him. Good for night time and under the table in pubs! Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 21:30 

It sounds as though there is already a degree of separation anxiety. There are lots of ways to help, but imo the best approach would be to have a look at this ..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CSLJR2/ ... TF8&btkr=1

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 22:33 

Doodle Dee wrote:
I'm not to good with this but I'm sure it had been asked before. I think you have to teach him the word silence. I'm sure I will be corrected. Every Time he doesn't mark read him with sshh or something. So he gets treated when he is quiet rather than told off when he is noisy. Good luck. I'm trying to do that but forget to do it when she is good

We'll definitely treat him when he is quiet. Thank you !!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 22:37 

Dipsy doodle wrote:
You have my sympathies. It's a stressful problem.
I take Daisy to work with me and she is In my office a lot. She knows the drill, I am in and out and for different than amounts of time and she knows she can't always come.
I got her used to this from a young age so she is usually fine with it but sometimes, if she hasn't been in for a few days, she takes a while to settle down and whines a bit. To help her I make a point of ignoring her and walking in and out several times. I don't look at her and I take no notice of any whining and once she settles, without whining and is laying down quietly or chewing a toy, She then gets a treat or pat but with minimal fuss.
I wonder if Archie needs a similar approach. You coukd try popping in and out of the room he is in, completely ignoring him. He might get the idea you aren't gone long and if you are very calm he might just give up. Then, the second he is totally calm, offer a treat and repeat! You coukd try looking like you are going and then don't, be gone only seconds etc. Also, do you ignore him when you are in the room? I know it sounds horrible but it helps calm Daisy sometimes. She knows if she wants a fuss she has to settle down.
Hope that helps.

I will try ignoring him more when I come back, I usually act normal when I leave and not make a big deal of it, but when I come back, if he has been quiet, I do tend to go back to him very proud and excited, which is where I could be going wrong!! I will act completely normal every time I leave and enter each time from now on, maybe he'll feel more comfortable with it. When I ignore him in the room, he does seem to settle down quicker, so I will also just continue giving him his own down time and wait for him to settle. Thank you so much!!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2016, 22:37 

Bid wrote:
It sounds as though there is already a degree of separation anxiety. There are lots of ways to help, but imo the best approach would be to have a look at this ..... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CSLJR2/ ... TF8&btkr=1

Oh dear, hopefully we can help calm him down using the book!! thank you

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 19:30 

I don't know how you understood what I wrote. Any way just an aside when I come in from being out Lulu goes berserk. Even if it is a minute. But only with me - she doesn't jump. I ignore her and we go straight into the garden (awkward in the winter). She doesn't get stroked til she us sitting down. I just stroke her calmly. She does wriggle but dos stop the frenetic barking and crying

ImageImage